Ubuntu (6.06) Dapper Drake is the Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
After the release of the much anticipated Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake), it's Ubuntu
all the way in the race for number 1 distro!! With a polished look GNOME desktop
environment and lots of software to choose from, ease of use. I don't think anyone
wants more in a Linux distro than this. Also , you can order it from their website
and have it delivered to your home for free!! Plus a great community for help if
you are stuck midway. All-in-all this is the best Linux distro.

Read more about it here:
*www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8289526009.html

plsoft

Journeyman
does it mount the windows partitions automatically like mandriva linux? It was really irritating with fedora core 4 to manually mount the windows partitions, something a person new to linux wud hate 2 do.

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
No, it doesn't mount the Windows partitions. But there is a nice GUI tool called 'Disks',
using it you can mount any partition (Windows). Don't worry you don't have to use
the command line!!

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yes, you can write to a NTFS partition .Not directly using Nautilus. Write the file
you want to write, be it a JPEG, MPEG, Text etc., in your home directory.
Now open the Terminal Window (make sure the NTFS partition is mounted).
$cd\
$ cd /mnt
$ sudo mkdir win_f
Now mount the NTFS partition using the tool 'Disks' under the folder '/mnt/win_f'
$ sudo cp /home/john/*.* /mnt/win_f
Here you have mounted the NTFS partition under the '/mnt' folder in the 'Win_f'
folder. And now copied all the files in the 'john's' home directory to the NTFS
partition. I'm preparing a special one for Windows users migrating to Ubuntu,
their questions with answers. It will be posted by me shortly. So be patient.

Last edited:

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I haven't tried this: *digg.com/linux_unix/NTFS-3G_-_Full_NTFS_read_write_support_for_Linux

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
plsoft said:
does it mount the windows partitions automatically like mandriva linux? It was really irritating with fedora core 4 to manually mount the windows partitions, something a person new to linux wud hate 2 do.
well refer to www.ubuntuguide.org for this small question. u have u use command line once & from next time it will be automactically mounted at boot. very easy indeed

ubuntu will be future of linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom