Ubuntu 6.06 + 128 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
will run,but better having 256MB RAM.while Xubuntu with XFCE DE will run fine i think.

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
Not going to upgrade to 256.
I have a live ubuntu cd. How to install required package for my low end rig.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Int86, It's better that you upgrade your System to 256 MB RAM. Otherwise performance
would be poor!! So don't blame anyone for poor performance. If you are not going
to upgrade the RAM, don't install Ubuntu. Instead install Xubuntu, which will run
perfectly with 128 MB RAM.

OP
int86

int86

You'r Born Free
Whats diffrence between the two.
Does Xubuntu has the same set of in built driver. I m going to use nokia cable with it.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yes the core is the same. Just that Xubuntu uses XFCE, which is lightweight whereas Ubuntu uses GNOME which needs more memory. Not to say, GNOME will do even with 128MB of RAM but it will be a bit on slow side.
With a bit of tweaking(I don't know well but it can be found on the net) GNOME can run well on 128MB RAM too. Something like performance tweaks used in Windows.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
yes it will work but than u have to run ubuntu in safe graphic mode! and than u have to configure Xorg.conf manually else u will face lots of problem with graphics
normal graphic mode works only with 512mb ram.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Desi-Tek, Who told you that Ubuntu works normally with 512 MB RAM only?
No, you are wrong!! Ubuntu works well in 256 MB RAM. The more RAM you add,
you get better performance. That's all.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
there r two installation mode available on ubuntu 1 is install, 2nd is safe graphic mode.
last time when i clicked on installation node it took me 35 minute to run ubuntu using live cd but still i was not able to install it as every thing was too slow than i used safe graphic mode and every thing worked smoothly.

i am using p4 2.4 256mb ddr ram

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
r u using ubuntu 6.06 LTS version? its a live cd version of ubuntu. and this problem is only with lie cd version.

Last edited:

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
yep i mean i've installed from the live cd i got from shipit.ubuntu.com and yes its 6.06 LTS & it worked fine in my friend's p4 2.4ghz + 256 mb ddr too.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
for me it is working on safe graphic mode only :( under 256mb ram.
some time back i brought 256 additional from my friend it i was able to install ubuntu in normal mode thats why i said ubuntu need minimum 512mb ram to install it in normal mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom