Ubuntu 5.10 creative vibra128 sound card -no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurthygr

Right off the assembly line
I have installed Ubuntu 5.10 in my PII 300, 128MB, 20 GB with creative vibra 128 sound card. There is no sound. I have tried loading emu10k1 and ca0106 in alsa with no sound. XMMS plays songs but without sound. Any suggestions? I am linux newbie (well almost).

ujjwal

Padawan
If XMMS plays without error, the module should be loaded up fine. Try unmuting the volume with

sudo amixer set Master 75 unmute
sudo amixer set PCM 75 unmute

Otherwise post the output of "lsmod | grep snd"

OP
S

smurthygr

Right off the assembly line
sudo commands got the reply "Unable to find simple control 'Master",0" and "unable find simple control "PCM",0"

sudo lsmod | grep snd :

snd_ens1371 22240 1
gameport 14472 1 snd_ens1371
snd_ac97_codec 72188 1 snd_ens1371
snd_pcm_oss 46368 0
snd_mixer_oss 16128 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 78344 3 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc 10120 1 snd_pcm
snd_seq_dummy 3844 0
snd_seq_oss 29440 0
snd_seq_midi 8608 0
snd_rawmidi 22816 2 snd_ens1371,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 6656 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 44688 7 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 21764 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 8204 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 48644 13 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 9184 1 snd

ujjwal

Padawan
Allright, check the ALSA troubleshooting guide given here -

*alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=TroubleShooting

praka123

left this forum longback
Are U sure U unmuted mixer?Then also no sound,have a try with alsaconf which needs alsa-utils package installed..then service alsa* restart.try Ur Luxk

Satissh S

Youngling
I think support isn't compiled in the kernel, for breezy.. for creative vibra 128 sound card. He'll have to recompile the kernel.
@ smuthy
1. Download the kernel source for breezy via apt/synaptic.

2. A symlink wud be created for the sources as /usr/src/linux.

3. Do a
$ cd /usr/src/linux
$ sudo make menuconfig

This should fire-up a ncurses based menu structure. Press [shift]+/(?) key to search.
Search for the following terms,
=> creative vibra 128
=> ca0106
=> emu10k1
For each result given, press M key to select the items as modules<M>. Make a note of the module names, this is extremely important! Select [Exit] and save the configuration when it asks to save.
next, when you are at the shell,
$ sudo make install && make modules_install
Now copy over the bzimage
$ sudo cp /usr/src/linux/bzimage /boot/ubuntu
Now edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst and create a new boot entry on top as,
$ sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Custom Kernel 2.6
root (0,0)
kernel /boot/ubuntu

Now reboot your computer and boot into the new kernel. Now modprobe the the modules you noted before.
$ sudo modprobe <modules>
report if it works.. Best of Luck! :p

praka123

left this forum longback
I dont think You need to compile fresh kernel from source,since your sound modules are listed...Better try alsaconf and any small mistakes like muted volume etc..another good utillity is "modconf" try searching modules using this command
@satish:Debian and Ubuntu got a better kernel compile system using make-kpkg to make kernel-image.deb or alsa-kernl-modules.deb etc..i've tried it long back..dont remember..but its easier for me than manual install..
*www.linuxforu.com/yabbse/index.php?action=display;board=4;threadid=1223;start=0#msg6869

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom