Ubuntu 14.04 Install Problems..

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
Hii all, I Use a dual boot system, with Win7 & Ubuntu, previously I had a good Ubuntu 13.04 installed, but removed it for the LTS ver. of 14.04
now when I got the setup in digit June 2014, I Installed it in Win7 as a software, in another drive, but when I restart my PC selecting Ubuntu I get the foll error msg..
" Serious errors were found while checking the disk drive for / "
" Press I to ignore, S to skip mounting, or M for manual recovery "
I retried installing it 3 times, still same prob. I even Downloaded again the setup frm Ubuntu site, but same prob.
I use Win7 as a 64 bit ver. so the 32 bit ver of Ubuntu doesn't work, only the AMD 64 ver.
Plzz help, m dying to use Ubuntu.. :( :( :(

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Are you sure the disk with which you are using does not have any bad sectors ? Does the installation gets completed ? Were you able to use Ubunut just after installation ? I guess it might be some misconfiguration in GRUB. How did you try to reinstall Ubuntu ? Did you format the drive ? And if you did, were you still accessing the drive through Ubunutu Boot loader ?

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
I dont knw abt any bad sectors, I suspect there arent any, m using the WD 500Gb HDD, c: 45gb for win7, d: 25gb for Ubuntu. I install it in d: as a software in win7. hope U knw dat. The installation gets completed, but whn I go for the 1st Use, those errors come. I reinstall Ubuntu again by Uninstalling it frm the Programs & Features of win7 den also formatting the D: . yes I could still access the drive thro Ubuntu Boot loader, wubi that is. :p :p :(

meetdilip

Computer Addict
I guess you used an .msi file to install. Don't do that. Just download an Ubuntu 14.04 CD from their site.

1. Clean other installations of Ubuntu. Running Ubuntu inside Windows will give you performance issues.

2. Go to Windows, of this 25 GB, make a partition of say 3 GB for SWAP. Now you have two paritions one for SWAP (which is like page file for Ubuntu) and another main installation.

3. Boot from CD and choose " Try " option. See whether everything is working fine or not.

4. If happy with Ubuntu, on desktop, there will be an icon called " Install ". Double click on it

5. It will give you 3 options,

a. completely wipe system and install Ubuntu (don't use this)

b. Install Ubuntu alongside Windows

c. Custom instalaltion

I prefer C where all you have to do is set small parition as SWAP and other format to ext4. Mount device is "/".

Continue installation and you will get real " Dual boot " for Ubuntu.

PS : There are numerous guides on YouTube on how to install Ubuntu.14.04.

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
Noo, I dint used any .msi file anywhere, just the .iso setup in Daemon tools.
I suppose Ur sayin me to install Ubuntu in C: drive, which I think shud not be advisable, my C: is 45gb, of which only 12gb is free after all installations etc. now if I use more space, then the Win7 OS might run slow right? also I want more space inside Ubuntu to install softwares in it etc. Hence I choose D: 25gb for dat.. But those problems.. :(

meetdilip

Computer Addict
1. I never said to use C drive to install Ubuntu

2. You mentioned 2 things.

a. You installed Ubuntu as a software in Windows. It made me write the .msi part. Let us skip that

b. You were using dual boot.

Yes, that is exactly what I am trying to say.

To do

1. Format D and split it into 2 paritions. One 3 GB, another 22 GB

2. Follow the steps I have mentioned above.

To know

Till now I have no idea which boot loader you are getting. The purple coloured Ubuntu one or the normal Windows boot loader ?

Is Windows working fine now ?

OP
Pratik Pawar

Pratik Pawar

Gaming for challenge
Windows was always working fine, Win7 Ultimate :cool: The bootloader I get is the purple coloured Ubuntu one, obviously, before that, I get the Black-white one in which I hav to choose Win7 or Ubuntu.. :p

HBK007

Journeyman
1. Just create partitions just like he said on any drive.
2. Then burn the .iso on to a cd/ write it to a usb.
3. Boot from it.
4. Select try ubuntu to see if everything works fine.
5. Then select install ubuntu.
6. Choose option C.
7.Format the 2 partitions you created by following the steps
8.Mount the bigger one as / by selectiong from the dropdown menu.
9. Mount the smaller one as swap partition.
10. Install
PS: I will try to post some images ASAP.

Top Bottom