Ubuntu 13.10 causing fan problems

rabjabber

Journeyman
hllo guys,
im new to ubuntu. ive never used any operating system (for computers) besides windows. now i recently installed ubuntu 13.10 on my dell inspiron 15r 5520. i initially had problems with repositories and certain drivers. the only drivers i could install were video and wifi. now i dont know if drivers are causing this problem but after switching on my laptop it takes around 2 minutes of normal usage for the laptop to heat up enough to start the fan at a high and audible speed. this fan once started does not stop. it keeps running. now this is also reducing my battery life drastically.

i googled it and this is not an unique problem. so this cant be some hardware issue. people have had this problem in the past with versions older than 11 or something. the only real solution i could find was lm tools which i didnt understand at all.

pls help me fix the stupid fan which works completely fine with windows

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
hllo guys,
im new to ubuntu. ive never used any operating system (for computers) besides windows. now i recently installed ubuntu 13.10 on my dell inspiron 15r 5520. i initially had problems with repositories and certain drivers. the only drivers i could install were video and wifi. now i dont know if drivers are causing this problem but after switching on my laptop it takes around 2 minutes of normal usage for the laptop to heat up enough to start the fan at a high and audible speed. this fan once started does not stop. it keeps running. now this is also reducing my battery life drastically.

i googled it and this is not an unique problem. so this cant be some hardware issue. people have had this problem in the past with versions older than 11 or something. the only real solution i could find was lm tools which i didnt understand at all.

pls help me fix the stupid fan which works completely fine with windows

I have experienced this problem on my netbook. Now what I'd like you to do is boot into ubuntu and copy this code into the terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install gksudo
gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Now change this line
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"
Try this out and let me know if the problem is resolved!
Cheers
Siddharth