Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot launched

nims11

BIOS Terminator
During the installation it asked for mount point point for the other 2 driver.
So i did mount them as "/home" and other one "/boot"

well, the only necessary mount point to be set is that of '/'. anyways, when you are accessing /home and /boot, you are accessing those drives.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
i got it all right......
So now ...how to install .tar.bz2 and other such files?

extract it with
tar jxf filename.tar.bz2
or
tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz
cd to the extracted directory, and then read the README and the INSTALL files. You may also use the ubuntu repo to install softwares, which is much easier.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@nims11
When i run the mount command the partition has disappeared from the
x-window system after umount it has appeared.
If i access the partition after starting the computer and then run the command it give a message that "mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened...."
I think when i access the partition from gui it automatically mount the partition.

Thanks for noticing my mistake.

@doomgiver
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda9 during installation
UUID=23939553-ecb8-41c9-a5c4-b01399de9516 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=59481c9c-9847-42b5-9548-1d671baa5833 none swap sw 0 0

@ico
Yes, i want to do it from terminal.
Just do what Faun said.

cd /media/<partitionmountpoint>

or use Tab complete.

Don't forget to mount those first by simply opening through Nautilus if you don't automount.

i have installed it using Wubi cuz i was facing a problem which said "no root file system is defined" during installation, i have been a windows user so dunt know any thing about file system.
help me install it.
thanx

Since you have installed using Wubi...to access the drive where you have installed, all you need to do is open Nautilus (File Manager) and enter /host in the address bar.

i got it all right......
So now ...how to install .tar.bz2 and other such files?
I will only advise you to install .deb files. Easy stuff.

doom2010

Journeyman
Just do what Faun said.

cd /media/<partitionmountpoint>

or use Tab complete.

Don't forget to mount those first by simply opening through Nautilus if you don't automount.

I don't understand partitionmountpoint or Tab complete.What do i write in the place of partitionmountpoint?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I don't understand partitionmountpoint or Tab complete.What do i write in the place of partitionmountpoint?

All your drives will be mounted under /media/ folder.

e.g. /media/drive1

so if you type this in terminal

cd /media/

and then press TAB key then it will list all folders under /media/

TAB works as a shortcut if you know few letters of the folder, you can instantly expand the full name using TAB key

Suppose I have a folder name "video" inside /media/

I will type this in terminal

cd /media/vi

and then press TAB key, which will automatically complete it to (provided the vi is unique in the /media/ folder i.e. there are not more than one folder whose names start with "vi")

cd /media/video

what after that/?
Windows NTFS Partitions Read/write support made easy in Ubuntu Feisty*|*Ubuntu Geek

use google for quick resolution.

doom2010

Journeyman
All your drives will be mounted under /media/ folder.

e.g. /media/drive1

so if you type this in terminal

and then press TAB key then it will list all folders under /media/

TAB works as a shortcut if you know few letters of the folder, you can instantly expand the full name using TAB key

Suppose I have a folder name "video" inside /media/

I will type this in terminal

and then press TAB key, which will automatically complete it to (provided the vi is unique in the /media/ folder i.e. there are not more than one folder whose names start with "vi")

YES........Now I can access it...:smile:
You guys are really helpful.Thanks a ton... all of you.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
hey guys after installing Ubuntu 11.10 the GPU temp. when idle is as high as55C and goes upto 60C when i start doing simple task
while in windows the same temp is 45C idle and on light load goes upto 52C
guys can you help me out with this dilemma
i had actually installed the graphics drivers from extra driver section !!
can this be the cause of concern !!

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
jerrin, it happens. use the conservative mode of the cpu.

and how to do that....
if ur taking about the cool'n'quiet feature its already turned ON
and its not the CPU that's taking the toll but the GPU so can someone please help as i like ubuntu a lot ....

doomgiver

Warframe
cant be done with gpu, except turn off desktop compositing.

add the cpu monitor to the bars by right click and add a widget. then right click and select the power mode.

Krow

Crowman
Any idea why my HP dm1z crashes with this OS? Nothing (shortcuts like ctrl+backspace, prt sc+ REISUB, ctrl+alt+del) works. Crashes are random. Sometimes while a video is playing, otherwise simply while browsing. The system just hangs and the caps lock led blinks. Only a hard reset works.

I installed the third party video drivers from the restricted driver popup on desktop. But it fails to install the post release updates.

Krow

Crowman
^Erm... doesn't the same thing popup on the desktop after a fresh install? That is what I have said in my post. I did install additional drivers from there, but the post release update driver does not install. There were two options. The first one installed properly but te second one did not.

Top Bottom