ubuntu 11.04 not booting from live usb in HP Laptop

psaikia

Broken In
Hi!

could someone help me.

ubuntu 11.04 is not booting from live usb.

my laptop is Hp pavilion dv6 2159tx.

bios -- insyde F.1C a.
bios id -- 3659

bios recognize usb drive as USB Floppy drive

It shows the error

"SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al"

But it boots easily on lenevo laptop where the bios recognize as usd hdd .

I think it due to the bios because in hp it detects as usb floppy drive .

Please help me....

Thanks .
Prandeep

Last edited:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's not a error, That's the copyright information.

It seems that nothing goes after displaying this message. Is that so??

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
yes , live cd works fine.., i tried once, its totally working

but dont want to burn cd,

is there any solution to this.

why it doesnt boot in my system...

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Sorry....I've no idea about that. Wait for some other members to come and help you out.

Your USB seems to be fine, as it atleast boots from it, but no idea why it doesn't go beyond that.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
If the live CD is working then it's not the error of ACPI.. Try making live USB again.. do it with UNETBOOTIN..

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
I have used all ..i.e. UNETBOOTIN and Universal USB installer..
But it didnt work at all.

no version of ubuntu installs in my laptop thru live usb..
but its ok with live cd

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^Same here. I tried both the softwares. 11.04 doesn't work with Live USB. I also tried mounting the ISO and used Ubuntu's own USB Creator, that too didn't worked.

sygeek

Technomancer
@psaikia: Which software did you use to create a Live USB? If you used unetbootin, did you get a screen showing install options with "Unetbootin" in the title?
I have the same problem, in my old PC I get that option and after I click Install "X Linux", I never get past that screen just a cursor blinking. It happens in all respective Linux Distro's Live USB.
Though you should try updating your BIOS to make sure if it works after the update.

If nothing else works try using PLoP Boot Manager. It works without any problem, whether you want to install the OS or try it. Download plpgenbtldr-0.8.zip and follow the instructions in the .zip file.

[YOUTUBE]N51B0gi-g0U[/YOUTUBE]

Note: You will need to remove boot.ini's "read-only" attribute

Last edited:
OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
@ sygeek is there no other way .. the method is too complex..
but my laptop supports usb boot..
how can i update the bios..
coz i have updated to the newest available version from hp site..

sygeek

Technomancer
Download the latest version of your laptop's BIOS from here. If it still doesn't work, consider trying my method above, It is not as complex as it looks. If you have any problem while setting up PLoP Boot Manager, you can ask me.

I've already installed Ubuntu 11.04 (currently using custom built Ubuntu Server Edition though) using Live USB and the method mentioned above in my Old Desktop.

Rahim

Married!
I use Unetboot for USB install and it worked all the time. I even booted from it to install PCLOS or Ubuntu.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
there are cases when a bootable usb created using any of these softwares run on one PC but not on other. today i tried to make ARCH LINUX bootable USB using universal USB installer, unetbootin, yumi and then LinuxLive USB creator one after another as it failed to boot everytym.
then through LINUX, i used the dd command to copy the iso to USB and make it bootable.
NOTE: this method is quite dangerous if you make any mistakes
If you have any LINUX liveCD or a LINUX installed in any other machine, boot from it and from terminal, type the following
dd if=image.iso of=/dev/sdx
image.iso is the path of the iso of ubuntu 11.04, /dev/sdx is your usb. to know what x is, plug in the usb and view it through gparted(usually preinstalled in distros). note that you only have to write sdx and not sdx1 or any other number instead of one. before executing that command, make sure that the usb is unmounted, do this by typing sudo umount /dev/sdb1
the above method is recommended if you are somewhat familiar with LINUX as something bad can happen(if you replace x in sdx with some wrong letter).

OP
P

psaikia

Broken In
@ sygeek. I have already installed the latest version from hp site..and the link u posted has the same bios version which i m using. I m little frustated coz my hp laptop is 6 months old ...n why it doesnt support usb boot.

it recognises as usb floopy disk. and not usb hdd.

and why it stops at the linux copyright message and doesnt go further.

moreover is there any way to modify the bios..

and it recognises the usb ,, but it stops @ the copyright message.

why it cannot goes further , i cant understand..

Top Bottom