Ubnutu installed fine hangs after booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I am a linux newbie, this is 1st time I have installed linux
Ubnutu Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 from *forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=882&sid=e76ba19edb35bd01e1ac8e38f67e6120

I burned the dvd at 4x & tried booting from live cd, it boots fine but shows me a tiled desktop on my 20inch wide screen (1680x1050) with geforce 7600GT card. On booting it remains hang if I click on any thing with mouse nothing comes up.

I then installed it within windows on a separate partition but the same problem again persist. It boots fine, shows me a tiled desktop, the right side of the desktop is cut & shown on extreme left instead. I log in with user ID & password after that I cant do any thing , I cant even shut down by press alt+Ctrl+delete the window comes up but the mouse click wont respond at all, I have to hard boot the comp.

I took a screen shot & that shows untiled desktop instead *forumubuntusoftware.info/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif *forumubuntusoftware.info/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif
Nothing on boot works the system seems to be in a hang state, I left it for 10 mins but no response hence I have to do a hard boot.

My installation was flawless all went fine, could something else go wrong? I guess I need to install nvidia drivers for setting wide screen resolution but I cant do that since on boot it hangs & mouse shows but clicks don't respond.

My hardware spec below.
Ultimate 1.8 x64 edition.
Asus P5B-dlx-wifi
Intel c2duo E6300
xfx-7600GT graphic card
1x4GB ram, 800 mhz 5-5-5-18

Need help in making it run smoothly.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Ranjan, You must install the "Official Ubuntu Desktop Edition" 8.04 (64-bit)
Download it from here : *releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso

Download it, burn & boot from the CD. Let's see how things go.
If your problem persists then you should go for "Alternate CD".

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Well I did that too & its the same problem with official ubunutu too & read that its a known issue with nvidia & wide screen users.

*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=735118

bug reported
*bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/174214

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
hey, gotcha.
here also :p

First you need to install driver for Your card.
Simply boot into command line via single user mode.
There is option when you start Ubuntu, in GRUB menu.
The second option.
you will get a plain command line
like this
Code:
root@localhost:~#
now download drivers.
Code:
root@localhost:~# wget [url]*us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/169.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12-pkg2.run[/url]

now install them
Code:
root@localhost:~# bash NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.12-pkg2.run

load default config
Code:
nvidia-xconfig

now you are done!, reboot and install nvidia-settings via
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

then run it. after that
Press ALT+F2 and type "nvidia-settings" without quotes.
you can change your settings from there, according to your needs:)

[edit]
I re read your post again
Have you installed Ubuntu or not?
if not then try Alternate install cd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom