TV Tuner woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack DumPP

Broken In
guys,

until recently i believed that buying a tv tuner card for a computer doesnt do any harm to the comp.. but then a friend came along and told me that using a tv tuner could do some damage.. coz many cable operators send a small dc voltage along with the transmission to avoid people tapping the cable lines.. any1 wit an explanation? :? :?

abhishek_sharma

Journeyman
nah yaar...many ppl own 2 or more tvs at their homes and using a tv tuner card is similar to tht.
u just split the signal tht comes using a splitter...so of course no problem.
i am myself using a tv tuner card for long and no probs with it....aur kharab hoga bhi to card kharab hoga, why the mobo or any other thing???

and really i think this is just a huge misconception...agar aisa hota toh ppl wud stop buying tv tuner cards or sue their cable operators...coz we have a right to watch channels on 2 or more tvs in the same house....

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Its not so that cable operator sends DC voltage along with signals but the realty is, They use POWER PASS aplifiers so that the customers can get the service even in electricity cuts!

I hv a bitter experience with my TV Tuner Card 3 years b4!

My CD Drive, Floppy drive, TV Tuner card, and Modem were damaged due to heavy current in the cable.

After that I never used ne TV tuner card!

So better to use some protection, like some device which can protect the comp, b4 using TV tuner card.....

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
The RF tuner used in the Tv tuner cards are similar to the ones used in TV's.If you want to be in a safer side use a sipke suppressor. I use it regullarly. Make sure u buy one from a hardware store and sot from a salesman as they are of very low quality.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
In my case it was totally opposite, my cable wallah complained about current coming from my Comp, he got a few shocks while repairing. :)

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
KHUBBU said:
In my case it was totally opposite, my cable wallah complained about current coming from my Comp, he got a few shocks while repairing. :)

lol... :))
get ur earthing checked man...i was facing the same issues...called in my electrition and he found earthing was not there on the socket!

dada_patekar

Broken In
idhar sun

apna dost ko thapad maar woh teri taraaki nahi dekhna chahta, tu compro video mate tv tuner liyo,khabardar agar pixel view liya :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom