[Tutorial] Configuring an Always On DataOne on gnu/Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

chintanraoh

Right off the assembly line
desertwind said:
So, are you getting a proper ip for WAN channel ? (probably starting with 59.*.*.*) And are the status green for both LAN and WAN ?

I'm Using FC4. And I've configured DataOne successfully on OpenSUSE

please tell me how did you configure it from scratch in suse.

chintanraoh

hi,
I could not configure in FC4 even after reading the tutorial

so please help!!!!

ifconfig output

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:A3:54:E1:06
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20f:a3ff:fe54:e106/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:8 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:2592 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2592 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2499758 (2.3 MiB) TX bytes:2499758 (2.3 MiB)

lspci output

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE/PE DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 82)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB (ICH4) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:03.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)

ifconfig eth0 up doesnot give errors but ping command doesnot work
lsmod doesnot contain CDCether which my driver
but when i goto k-menu>system-tools>network>hardware>edit adapter is listed as cdc ether driver

thanking you

deewana

I have just installed suse 10.1. Have already installed kinternet in that. But, I am not able to run my dataone bsnl broadband connection on it. Could anyone of you provide me instructions from the real begainning on how to configure dataone connection on suse 10.1..... Its my first time with linux.....

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Last edited:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
What about Xandros.. I installed it on my friend`s PC.. Its doesn`t detect the USB modem for Dataone.. Any suggestions..

adi87

Journeyman
deewana said:
I have just installed suse 10.1. Have already installed kinternet in that. But, I am not able to run my dataone bsnl broadband connection on it. Could anyone of you provide me instructions from the real begainning on how to configure dataone connection on suse 10.1..... Its my first time with linux.....

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Default [Tutorial] Configuring an Always On DataOne on gnu/Linux
I see many asking help for configuring DataOne on their gnu/Linux machine. I've tired of posting the same answers again and again. Hence this Tutorial.

The router configuration is specific to Huawei SmartAX MT880 ADSL router.

System Configuration

Login as root.
Select System Settings > Network or system-config-network-gui on terminal.

You'll see your NIC listed there. Select it and click Edit.

Check Activate device when computer starts and Allow all users to enable and disable this device.

Select "Statically set IP addresses"

Enter the following values
Code:

Address : 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 Default gateway address : 192.168.1.1

Press OK.

Press Activate.

open /etc/resolv.conf in your favourite text editor

Append the following lines.

Code:

nameserver 61.1.96.69 nameserver 61.1.96.71

Router Configuration

Now start your Web Browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter.

PS: Enable JavaScript in your browser, if not.

It will ask for username and password. Use admin as username and password.

Click on WAN Settings under Home in the left pane.

If not set, enter the following values

Code:

PVC No: PVC-0 Wan Type: PPP Connection Type: PPPoE VPI/VCI: 0 / 35 Default Route : Enabled PPP Username: yourusername Password: yourpassword Use DNS: Enabled Max Idle Time: Always On

Click Apply
When asking for save and reboot, select No and Press OK.

Now click on DNS under Home on left pane.

Code:

DNS Status: Enabled Primary DNS Address: 61.1.96.69 Secondary DNS Address: 61.1.96.71

Click Apply
When asking for save and reboot, select No and Press OK.

Now click on LAN Settings Under Advanced on left pane.

Code:

IP Address: 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Click Apply
When asking for save and reboot, select Yes and Press OK.

The device will reboot now. It will take about a minute or more.

Do not refresh or close the browser window while rebooting. It's better leave your computer alone while this operation.

After the device has been rebooted, refresh the page. Now scroll down and you should see the green light for LAN and WAN (PVC-0)Channels.

Now click on Diagnostics under Status on left pane.

On Clicking Submit, it will do a series of tests. Important thing is that the result of first 3 under Modem Connection Test must be PASS. Don't care others.

Now, you're done. Your machine will be connected to the internet from next reboot onwards and will be always on. If you still prefer manual connect/disconnect, uncheck the Activate device when computer starts option from network configuration window. you can use the following commands

for connecting - ifup eth0
for disconnecting - ifdown eth0

provided the device name of your NIC is eth0.

You can create launchers on Desktop/Panel for the same.

Reboot your machine and Enjoy!!! [Don't forget Data caps]

This was a tutorial by Desertwind.
For more info visit
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21171

deewana

vignesh said:
What about Xandros.. I installed it on my friend`s PC.. Its doesn`t detect the USB modem for Dataone.. Any suggestions..

There is no need of following this tutorial in xandros. I have used dataone on Xandros.

Just configure your Internet connection like this :

Go to Launch/Applications/Internet/Connection Wizard.

Select ADSL (PPP over Eternet) - then Next ... then All Users, Next

Select your ethernet NIC then Next.

Fill in a name (it doesn't matter, your choice - it's just an identifier), the dataone username and password.

In the next dialog, choose dynamic and then click Finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

After configuring the wizard. Click on connect to Internet.

Then click on properties >protocol and hardware> PPP stettings > Authentication

and select CHAP authentication instead of PAP

and click ok.

You would now able to connect to dataone on Xandros.

Please ask again if it is not clear or you face any problems.

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
NEW TUTORIAL(tested Fedora Core 5, req manual editing)
----at OS level. no config on modem needed. U may as well reset it if u have probs with the method below. DHCP is ok too.

1. In terminal type "adsl-setup"
2. type ppp0 to select the current config it already exist
3. type dataone username
4. type NIC name where the modem is connected(eg eth0, eth1)
5. type 'no' to disable auto dissconnect(users with limited bandwidth/usage a/c can try with a suitable timeout)
6. Now leave the DNS blank and press enter. It say If you just press enter, I will assume you know what you are doing and not modify your DNS setup." We know dont we? ;-)
7. Enter ur dataone password
8. type 'yes' to enable all users to use the connection
9. select firewall (0-2). try '0' for initial testing. u can modify later easily.
10. type 'no' so that it does not connect at boot time(For ALWAYS ON type 'yes')
11. review the Summary. if all ok type 'y'
12. Now comes the interesting part. edit the file "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0"
13. Look for an entry "PEERDNS=no". change the 'no' to 'yes'. Save the file. This is because dataone ISPs are capable of providing DNS server data to clients. whatever the current DNS ur comp will recieve it from the ISP.

Kool

Now to connect type in terminal "ifup ppp0"
and to disconnect type "ifdown ppp0"
to see status type "ifconfig ppp0" or "adsl-status"

This works with dynamic IP setting of ur NIC and Modem too.

Last edited:

src2206

In the zone
Hi Rollercoaster,
I followed your above tutorial but my net connection is still not working in Linux.
The result of the commands after following the above method:
ifup ppp0:
Code:
/sbin/adsl-start: line 216:   2657  Terminated                    $CONNECT  "$@"  >/dev/nu
11  2>&1

adsl-status:

Code:
Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid.pppoe)

So please help.

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
deewana said:
There is no need of following this tutorial in xandros. I have used dataone on Xandros.

Erm, your way of connecting is right but I fear Vignesh was talking about the USB modem connection. Does Xandros have drivers for that? Can you upload them please?

guys i am very confused ryt now!!!!

i have SUSE 10.1 on my sys and i have a BSNL dataone connection,my modem is some HUWAEI QUIDWAY WA1003A{ atleast that's what is written on the modem } . i use USB .

i now want to connect to the internet in SUSE , but many of the tutorials given by the experts is for NIC modems connection.

please tell me how to connect to the net using the above parameters and if i have to download any drivers, please tell me abt that as well..
thanx in advance!!!

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Erm, USB drivers = no supported / known how to get it configured yet. Buy a NIC card for 200 bucks, and that'll do :)

QWERTYMANIAC wrote:
Erm, USB drivers = no supported / known how to get it configured yet. Buy a NIC card for 200 bucks, and that'll do

so then theres no option but to buy a NIC card...is there any specific brands that shud be preffered over others???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Get anyone, all are fine. Zebronics one are good, cause they are actually Realtek. DAX ones are good too but dead costly for unknown reasons. I got myself a Realtek for 180 Rs.

Rollercoaster

@src2206: Answer these please-
1. are u using the lan port to connect or the USB. the above procedure is for LAN.
2. Can u ping the modem. "ping 192.168.1.1"
3. did u reset the modem. most problems are due to that.
4. are the ADSL packages installed?
5. post the contents of this file here "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0"
6. Did u set the dataone username/passwd/interface_name(eth0 or eth1) correctly.
7. are u root?
8. output of "ifconfig -all",and which NIC are u using to connect to modem(eth0,eth1....)

ifup ppp0:
Code:
/sbin/adsl-start: line 216:   2657  Terminated                    $CONNECT  "$@"  >/dev/nu
11  2>&1

something seems wrong with ur config files. see line:216 of ifcfg-ppp0.

Last edited:

src2206

In the zone
1. are u using the lan port to connect or the USB. the above procedure is for LAN.
No, I'm using an onboard LAN [10/100 mbps] and the ADSL modem is connected to the LAN port only.

2. Can u ping the modem. "ping 192.168.1.1"
Ping from where? From Linux? Sorry I did not try that and I'm also not sure how to do that. Could you please instruct? Though I tried to open this address in the browser page (firefox), but it did not open. During this operation the modem was connected with the PC and turned on.

did u reset the modem. most problems are due to that.
Well the only time I configured my modem was during it was first installed to set up a connection as per the directions of a BSNL service engineer. After that I have not changed any kind of settings of the modem.

4. are the ADSL packages installed?
I'm not sure which package are you reffering to! If you are reffering to the one for Linux (FC 5) for which a link is provided in the 2nd page of this thread, then the answer is - I have tried to install that package after I downloded. But unfortunately it seemed to be failed, showing some error masseges at the terminal window. I am also no sure how exactly I should install that. So could you please guide me to it?

5. post the contents of this file here "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0"
Gladly, please find it at the end of this post.

6. Did u set the dataone username/passwd/interface_name(eth0 or eth1) correctly.
Yes I did and I'm sure about this.

7. are u root?
Yes I am. And I tried all the above operations being logged in as a root.

8. output of "ifconfig -all",and which NIC are u using to connect to modem(eth0,eth1....)
I am using eth0. The default one shown during installation. Is onboard LAN card is an NIC? The output of the command is also enclosed here. Though the '-all' was not recognised and I used '-a' instead.

ifconfig -a

Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:ED:57:33:39
          inet6 addr: fe80::220:edff:fe57:3339/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:88 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:70 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:5304 (5.1 KiB)  TX bytes:4356 (4.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:16 Base address:0x4f00

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:2358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:3819201 (3.6 MiB)  TX bytes:3819201 (3.6 MiB)

sit0      Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
          NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

ifcfg-ppp0

Code:
USERCTL=yes
BOOTPROTO=dialup
NAME=DSLppp0
DEVICE=ppp0
TYPE=xDSL
ONBOOT=no
PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid
FIREWALL=NONE
PING=.
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
LCP_FAILURE=3
LCP_INTERVAL=20
CLAMPMSS=1412
CONNECT_POLL=6
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=60
DEFROUTE=yes
SYNCHRONOUS=no
ETH=eth0
PROVIDER=DSLppp0
USER=srij2942
PEERDNS=yes
DEMAND=no

Result of adsl-setup command:
Code:
adsl-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file /var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid.pppoe)
- I checked out and found out that either "pppoe-adsl.pid" file or "pppoe-adsl.pid.pppoe" files do not exsist :? !

Result of "ifconfig" command:
Code:
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:2358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2358 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:3819201 (3.6 MiB)  TX bytes:3819201 (3.6 MiB)

Hope I have given you all required infos.
Please help.

Rollercoaster

^ well ur problem is that ur eth0 interface does not have a ip address.

please type in a console "system-config-network" and put in the following values inthe properties/details section of eth0.

IP address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet mask:255.255.255.0
Default gateway:192.168.1.1

and save.

Now get back on console and type "ifconfig -a"

under the eth0 entry u will see a new information( line 2 ) which will tell u abt ur IP add and the other info u enterd above.

Now do adsl setup again using the same name (ppp0,eth0).it should work.

Ping: is a command to check for logical and physical connectivity between two pcs. It is written in the console. So when u write "ping 192.168.1.1" in the console then u are checking ur connectivity with the address 192.168.1.1 which is ur modem IP address. If u recieve repeated info stating time and stuff it means the connection if fine. otherwise it says somethink like "conneciton time out", "host not reachable".

Once ur ppp0 is up u can "ping www.yahoo.com" in the console to verify that the net is working.
PS: i really hope ur modem IP address in 192.168.1.1. which is default. please check in windows by typing "ping 192.168.1.1" in command prompt. if u get succesfull replies then that is the IP otherwise u have to find the IP address of ur modem from windows. Fromthe command promp type "ipconfig" and u will get the IP add of ur PC and the default gateway. use teh exact values insted of the ones o provided above.
*img85.imageshack.us/img85/4859/iplf4.jpg

Last edited:

src2206

In the zone
Hi Rollercoaster,
Thank you very much for your help. Now I can connect to the net from Linux. Now the only problem remaining is the update/ install problem. Hope I'll get your valuable help on that front too at the corresponding thread.
Thank you again. :)

rohan

In the zone
i'm applying for a new dataone connection with BSNL. i want to use it under linux. Out of the following which modem should i select: Type I]1 Ethernet & 1 USB

Type II] Ethernet & WiFi

Type III] Ethernet

Type IV] Ethernet & 1 WiFi

forgive this n00b here... but i just don't get what the above mean :)

also, i have an ethernet modem that came with my compaq SR1732IL => 'Realtek RTL8100 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet controller'. Will that enable me to have DataOne or should i purchase a modem from BSNL.

again.. forgive this n00b here :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
rohan - You have to buy a modem and that modem will connect to your Ethernet card, go for Type I man, easiest way to linux :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom