TUTORIAL: All About Resource Hacker! A Brief Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Hey buddy.....
how can i change the dial up connection dialog box.......
just like urs .............. in deviantart????

Amlan.blacklord

Right off the assembly line
Hello Vishal! I appriciate a lot of hard job for us.thanks! Anywayz i try to follow the steps u said n changed the logon, bootscreen, icons, theme n cursors...but when i cum to change the logon/off dialog box..nothing happens.wen i save it in res hacker, it gets saved but wen after sometime i enter again, it goes back to the previous commands! Please help!

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Amlan.blacklord said:
Hello Vishal! I appriciate a lot of hard job for us.thanks! Anywayz i try to follow the steps u said n changed the logon, bootscreen, icons, theme n cursors...but when i cum to change the logon/off dialog box..nothing happens.wen i save it in res hacker, it gets saved but wen after sometime i enter again, it goes back to the previous commands! Please help!

That's because of Windows File Protection service. It prevents tampering of Windows critical system files.
To do such modifications, you need to use Replacer. Edit the file and use replacer to replace the edited one with the old one. Replacer will do it automatically after reboot.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@Amlan
Kiran has already posted the solution. :)

It happens bcoz of WFP serive, which automatically replaces changed system files with the original files present in "%windir%\System32\DLLcache" folder. So u can either disable WFP service using WFP patcher or can use "Replacer" to replace the file in both locations. U can get both things here:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30897

Amlan.blacklord

Hi! thankx, i downloaded wsps 10 n disable that whatever..but now, when I click save , it says cannot create file C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll!!!!Help me out guyz!....infact i cannot modify any shell32.dll !!

aah! can u tee me how to make a program run wen windos starts?? I use madotate 4 the 3d flip effect but i hav to switch it on manually every time i start which spoils the charm..any suggestions??

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1. Make sure that there is no "shell32_original.dll" file in "System32" directory. Is its there, delete the file and u'll be able to save the file. Otherwise u can edit the file and save it at some other location and then using replacer, u can replace original file with ur edited one.
2. To add an application in startup, just create a shortcut of the EXE file and then right-click on Start button and select “Open”. It’ll open “Programs” folder, open it and then u’ll get “Startup” folder. Again open it and then paste the EXE shortcut. Otherwise u can also use registry to do the same thing.

Amlan.blacklord

llo Vishal...followed ur path n got the right way...but ..eh...another prob..( u must be getting irritated with my non-stop questions).when i go to change the progress dialog box: i downloaded the avi file..there only 1 avi file isint it?? anyways i am to replace thta avi file with
AVI -> 160 ->1033
AVI -> 161 ->1033
AVI -> 162 ->1033
AVI -> 163 ->1033
AVI -> 164 ->1033

isint it...in resource hacker, i click replace other resources..n replace avi-160 n it gets done...but when i try to repeat that step 4 the other avis....nothing happens!

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
No buddy. U can ask without any problem. :)
yes, there is only 1 AVI file and u hv to replace all mentioned AVI files with this single AVI file.

Amlan.blacklord

thanks 4 the support! u didnt understand my doubt....i wanned to ask that when i go to change the progress dialog box: i downloaded the avi file..there only 1 avi file isint it?? anyways i am to replace thta avi file with
AVI -> 160 ->1033
AVI -> 161 ->1033
AVI -> 162 ->1033
AVI -> 163 ->1033
AVI -> 164 ->1033

isint it...in resource hacker, i click replace other resources..n replace avi-160 n it gets done...but when i try to repeat that step 4 the other avis....nothing happens!

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey Vishal i followed your tutorial for changing the look of Run dialog box. It works fine and looks great now. :D
But i miss the dropdown list of previous entered locations, and when u type a part of the previous entered locations it used to complete it automatically.... Is it possible to make it work again?
Thanx.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Yes, I changed it to simple text box from a drop-down box. ;)
To change it, right-click on the textbox control and select "Edit Control". Then select "CBS_DROPDOWNLIST" in the given options. :)

-={ SEASER }=-

I've looked all over the place in my system for this dialog and I'm not having any luck finding it. The closest I can find is dialog 2450 inside msgina.dll, but I have no earthly idea where it is getting the background image from. I have already modified BMP's 20140 & 20142 thinking that it was coming from there, but it's not. I've successfully moded *most* of my system and whittled away at it so that it takes up as little space as possible. This one screen is all I have left. Does anybody know where I can find the image resources for this:

*imcoveredinbees.com/BillyStuff/pleasewait.jpg

...many thanks in advance for your answer and many thanks to everyone for showing me how to do this in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom