Try out the OLPC's linux from a live cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Probably if you are a power user such as myself that you wont be interested in trying out Linux version of the OLPC project. But the again if you are curious as I am and want to see what that Sugar interface has to offer on those “$100″ computers, then you can today. LiveCD that boots Sugar can be downloaded from here. It is still in early development stages so don’t expect miracles.
Read on at *linux.wordpress.com/2007/04/10/test-drive-the-olpc-with-a-livecd/

I saw a demo of OLPC last week and have to say it's awesome considering it's price and form factor. I'm definitely downloading it's live cd, it's around 315MB. Here's the link to it *olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/sdk/latest/livecd/

OP
M

mehulved

You should see the laptop itself, it's a really nice thing but a bit heavy considering the intended audience :(

OP
M

mehulved

Of course it's supposed to be basic, it's for small kids. If you use the interface for a while you'll understand how it is.
Final version? It's already on the laptops at present but the laptops cost $150 as of yet. The $100 ones will come later on.
pathiks I hope you know of the OLPC project

Pathik

Google Bot
yea mehul.. I know of mr. Negropontes olpc project.. But u said that this was in early development stages so i asked about the final version.. Btw i dont think green crank powered lappys ll work..

OP
M

mehulved

Well it's in the early development stages yeah but there are already proto types out there and functional ones at that. Otherwise no one will believe viability of such a project.
But, there are certain bugs that exist and certain things that need to be adjusted and such. One example I remember being mentioned is the battery life. In the first version of the laptops out there, due to a bug it couldn't be charged fully sometimes so giving only like 2 hrs on full battery sometimes.
This has been corrected now.
In that demo the battery lasted for about 2.5 hrs. that's quite nice considering the fact that wifi was used extensively, also ssh session was run from the laptop to another laptop. The X session from the other laptop was forwarded to the OLPC laptop, and firefox and gnome-calculator was run. We also saw youtube videos on the OLPC laptop from the forwarded firefox cos the inbuilt one has gnash installed which can't play videos.
Another thing I remember is mention that the lot of parts of the OS are designed in python.

Well if it will work on not depends on the governments, AFAIK these will be sold to governments which in turn will subsidise and sell it to the children. Correct me if I am wrong here. And yeah also the marketing effort, whoever can ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom