TROUBLE WITH MANDRAKE 10.1 OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
i installed mandrake 10.1 OE on my 5.5 gb partition (which earlier was fat32) i deleted the partition in mandrake installation

then selected auto and it made 1 gb as swap and 4.2 gb as linux native partition and 342 mbs as "journalised ext 3"
*img476.imageshack.us/img476/3610/mandrake078zw.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/6565/mandrake080qi.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/2650/mandrake096sy.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/8586/mandrake096bl.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/4307/mandrake102ln.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/9853/mandrake112gf.th.jpg

what is "journalised ext 3"

also it did detect my pendrive but shows its empty when it had 4 mb of dtata in it. why?

also file manager and konqueror started first time. but then they just dont start

and in the bootloader it shows 4 default values

as windows
linux
2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk
failsafe

i installed new alsa driver for sound but cudnt configure much and my sound went away altogether, also installed realplyer 10 gold and realised that kaffiene was more than enought to play videos. so i tried reinstalling mandrake

this time filemanager and konquerer qorked for first time but not second time or thereafter.

also i added 1 newitem to bootloader =2.6.8.1-12mdk

*img131.imageshack.us/img131/8998/mandrake014qv.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/8416/mandrake022th.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/6849/mandrake033wq.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/1060/mandrake042nu.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/5085/mandrake054ye.th.jpg *img476.imageshack.us/img476/7119/mandrake066wt.th.jpg
now when i boot with 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk
it says KERNEL 2.6.XX needed for hotplug and it hangs at "finding new hardware"

when i boot with kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk (which i added new), as usual it has no filemanager and konqurer isnt still working.

IM SIMPLY FEDUP

Satissh S

Youngling
GunshotSilence said:
what is "journalised ext 3"
A Journal is an area in the that is used to store the information about pending changes to that file system. A file system generally has two types of information, directories, files etc., and Metadata which contain info about the filesystem itself. When you write to a file in Jounalling file system the changes you want to make are written to the journal rather than to the file itself. The filesystem then applies those changes to the specific file and updates the filesystem metadata only when modified file data has been succesfully written to the file. This ensures consistency.Ext3 is the journalling version of Ext2 file system.
GunshotSilence said:
also it did detect my pendrive but shows its empty when it had 4 mb of dtata in it. why?
I guess you need to install drivers for the usb pendrive
GunshotSilence said:
i installed new alsa driver for sound but cudnt configure much and my sound went away altogether, also installed realplyer 10 gold and realised that kaffiene was more than enought to play videos. so i tried reinstalling mandrake
What sound card do you have if you have AC'97 then it shud be autodetected. Try running sndconfig

also i added 1 newitem to bootloader =2.6.8.1-12mdk
now when i boot with 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk
it says KERNEL 2.6.XX needed for hotplug and it hangs at "finding new hardware"

when i boot with kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk (which i added new), as usual it has no filemanager and konqurer isnt still working.

IM SIMPLY FEDUP
Guess mandrake runs lilo-graphic as boot loader by default, So after you have made changes to /etc/lilo.conf , you have to run lilo for changes to take effect. Dude there is no need to get frustrated, just be patient and you will get the answer.
PS > Somebody correct me if wrong. :)

OP
G

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
boss

when i boot thru kernel 2.6.8 its hsows hotplug started and my penddrive's light glows.

but shows empty
also i made changes to lilo thru mandrake control center.

but when booting thru kernel 3.4.xx it hangs at finding new hardware
and in kernel 2.6.8 filemanager and konqueror dont work at all

Satissh S

Youngling
For Hotplug problem, append NOHOTPLUG=1 and NOCOLDPLUG=1 (in caps)
or either of them in kernel= in your boot loader.
For your mp3 problem, there is sure some problem with your Gstreamer codec and not drivers. Using mandrake online update try updating the codecs.

OP
G

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
no probs with mp3s

just hotplug
installing nvidia driver and dataone modem and no filemanager

and why are there 2 kernels?and whats kernel source?

shud i get a good book for linux for newbies?

Satissh S

Youngling
Get rid off that mandrake first. Get Fedora 3 Bible written by Christopher Negus from Wiley Dreamtech. It contains the FC3 DVD and is written in a easy to understand way. I personaly use Suse 9.1 Bible.

EDIT:
Kernel Source is the source code of the kernel that is installed on your system. It is required for recompiling, modifying and tweaking the kernel.
You see two kernel entries in your boot loader because one is a failsafe boot which boots you into single root user mode where you can trouble shoot any problems. When you recompile a newer kernel you can assign another boot entry just in case you have problems with your new kernel. Hope this helps. Somebody correct me if Wrong.

Satissh S

Youngling
Yes Open Suse 10 is also great. Check out their website for more info. Open Suse is more for newbies, whereas Fc3 & Fc4 are for more experienced linux users. In my opinion it is easy to administer a SuSe system b'coz of Yast. If you want OpenSuse 10 and quickly learn how to use it. Wait for Linux4U mag November issue.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Dear Gunshotsilence please press Submit button only once. if nothing happens after pressing once, please try reloading the page before submitting again. There's a lot of multiple posts by you.

Yes, FC4 is very good. has got a good hardware support. Ubuntu is equally good.havent used OpenSuSE yet. but SuSE usually rocks. very better than Mandrake. If you like KDE use SuSE. If you like GNOME use FC4 or Ubuntu.

Satissh S

Youngling
Seems like you have trouble connecting to your data1 account or is it? Yau have double posted a lot, whats the problem?

OP
G

GunshotSilence

Journeyman
my modem is not being detected and i dont know how to install the drivers
anyways i am thinking of going in for open suse10 when it comes but does it play mp3s and movies?

Satissh S

Youngling
Any Linux Distro has the software to play mp3 and movies once you install the CODECS to play them. Open Suse is a good distro.
And Most Importantly don't get frustrated and start bashing linux. There is more to it than what you have just experienced. There are a lot of guys here in the forum who are ready to help you. :)

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
@ Satissh The Usb pen drive ,I don`t there are drivers for that.he just has to create a mount point.Actually Gnome should do it automatically.Insert it before logging into Gnome/KDE.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
@ Satissh You need not install drivers for a usb drive...
Just have to create a mount point.Usually Gnome automatically mounts it.Insert it before logging into Gnome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom