Trouble regarding a new Palit Geforce GTX 560.

prateektorque

Right off the assembly line
i purchased a graphic card from through BitFang.com - Computer Store, Compare and Buy latest Computer Hardware, PC, Laptop & Electronics Online Shopping in India. as follows:

Item: Palit Geforce GTX560 OC 1024MB GDDR5
Serial No.: T6110073300
Inv. No.: RDO/TI/00303/11
Inv. Date.: 16.10.2011
Name : Mr. Om Prakash

i am using win7-64bit and a 600W Cooler Master Xtreme Power Plus SMPS.

i installed the graphics card, connected the 2 6 pin pcie connectors and installed its drivers.
my whole pc was working perfectly that night then i went to normal shutdown process.

when i turned on my pc the next day, there was a message that said I did not shutdown my pc properly. So i selected the normal bootup process. when the windows started, my resolution became 800x600, and it prompted "please reinstall your video drivers" (something like that). and checking my device manager (and video setting), it is now currently "Standard VGA adapter". I tried using the supplied drivers from CD but it prompted me "no suitable driver for your current chip, we support NVIDIA GeForce GTX560" (which is what i was actually using). I tried what I have downloaded before, which is the version 290.36, and it said "could not find compatible graphics hardware".

I tried to reinstall the whole OS thinking that it might be a virus, but still the same problem.

my power supply is just 2 yrs old, and it has 70% efficiency, which means 70% of 600W = 420W. and the max power requirement of GTX 560 is 150W.

Help!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
my power supply is just 2 yrs old, and it has 70% efficiency, which means 70% of 600W = 420W. and the max power requirement of GTX 560 is 150W.
Firstly. Efficiency doesn't mean what you are saying.

Efficiency means, to supply 420w to the system, your PSU would take in 600w. Wastage of 180w - 70% efficient and 30% power wasted. Or to supply 600w to the system, your PSU would take in ~860w. Wastage of 260w. Again 70% efficient and 30% power wasted. This is what efficiency means.

i am using win7-64bit and a 600W Cooler Master Xtreme Power Plus SMPS.
Second, your PSU is crap. You should replace it first and the foremost: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

At the moment, it's something wrong with your graphic card. Try it out in some other system which has a reliable PSU. You might need to replace the graphic card if it doesn't work fine in the other system.

That said, you need to also change your PSU as soon as possible.

Cilus

laborare est orare
This is the same problem I have just faced couple of days back with my old 8800GT and sadly because of my PSU. There was a hughe voltage fluctuation which caused my PSU to be destroyed. After getting the replacement, I got the same problem with my 8800GT, windows has already disabled this card and using standard vga driver WDDM 1.2 for it. I, too also faced the problem while installing the Nvidia driver. Probably some capacitors were damaged in your case due to use of a very very bad PSU.
Download the latest Nvidia Driver 290.53 from Nvidia site and try to install it and check if your card is getting detected or not. Otherwise send it for RMA process.

Top Bottom