tried to save outlook.pst to external drive, got CRC error, ran chkdsk, ran scanpst.e

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by kunaltech, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kunaltech

kunaltech New Member

Kindly Help me out of this.

Here's the sequence I've gone through.

1) I was copying outlook.pst to an external drive, got a cyclic redundancy error (I've been able to copy other files to this drive today so it appears the problem is specifically with the outlook.pst file). Note: Outlook 2003 runs just fine when I run the program, the only problem (thus far) is that I can't copy the outlook.pst file.

2) The ExpertsExchange advice was to then rename outlook.pst to old.pst (which I did), and then to find and run the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe) on the old.pst file (which I have now tried several times).

3) Each time I run scanpst.exe on old.pst I get 30% through the first phase when the error message appears that reads: "An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use ScanDisk to check the disk for errors, and then try using the Inbox Repair tool again."

Since I use XP Home, am I right in understanding that the XP Home version of ScanDisk is to run chkdsk? If so, I have already done this and found no errors. So what do I do now?

Thank You
    Kunal Mehta

2. janki2008

janki2008 New Member

Re: tried to save outlook.pst to external drive, got CRC error, ran chkdsk, ran scanp

Try using spinrite 6 from grc.com & check the status of your HDD
    Let us know what happens

Janki

3. OP
    OP
    kunaltech

kunaltech New Member

Re: tried to save outlook.pst to external drive, got CRC error, ran chkdsk, ran scanp

sorry for late reply but this doesnt have trial version where i can use and this much i cant pay as of now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.