Tricky problem: HDD issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

since yesterday my PC has stopped booting. It just stops/hangs after the POST.

Its a P4 1.7 GHz, 256 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce 2MX400 64Mb 4x card, all this on VIA Chipset Mercury board . :(

What could be the problem. there was a checksum error once, but after setting all the options, it gives out the normal beeps. HDD is fine. checked it on my other PC.

:(

swatkat

Technomancer
If there is CMOS checksum erro,then u have to replace the CMOS Cell.
If that's not the case,then check ur RAM,that is remove the RAM Modules and clean the slots by blowing air and put the RAM back.

OP
S

SpitefulPentium

Broken In
Hi,

I checked both. no problems there. (cos I had disabled quick boot. This checks the RAM when booting and would have given a long beep to indicate RAM problems)

Now here's a funny thing. I cleared the CMOS, it gave a CMOS error. I DISABLED everything (IDE,USB,Modem,LAN,Sound etc) and then after POST it did not hang. I rebooted and enabled one thing at a time and found that the PC boots through a CD/Floppy but does not boot from the HDD. the HDD is perfectly ok. checked it on my other PC. I even interchanged Primary and Secondary connections to make HDD sec and CDdrive Pri. scandisk results ok. fdisk shows everything to be ok.

whats the problem here?

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Most probable there has been some other internal damage....(Do you keep your cabinet open?)

Or a virus maybe....

I think that you should send your board for repairs...

OP
S

SpitefulPentium

Broken In
no I dont keep the cabinet open.
virus.... I just formatted and reinstalled everything. plus got no internet connection at home :?

look like some kinda damage to the board.
I could try formatting once again and see if things work out.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Use a Knoppix or Gnoppix CD to boot and see if it boots properly. If it does, most of your hardware would be working properly. Check the sound as well in Knoppix.

Secondly, the IDE cable of your HD may be malfunctioning. So replace it and check.

OP
S

SpitefulPentium

Broken In
I forgot to mention about the cables. Yes I did replace them and check things. Same problem.

And I booted using a bootable CD (DOS). Hmmm. :?

OP
S

SpitefulPentium

Broken In
tried everything. no progress.

could the psu be the culprit?

EDIT: If it looks like a total gone case, does anyone know where i can get the mobo repaired in Pune. (No suggestions for an upgrade please :) )

its a VIA chipset Mercury board for P4.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom