Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 causing BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharat_r

In the zone
I installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 after uninstalling NAV 2005
Installation went on fine,but at the end a BSOD appeared & the comp restarted..
After that,each time windows starts & loads trend micro at startup a BSOD appears & system restarts..
I suspect some conflict but don't know how to fix it.
Please help me fix it & use trend micro..
Thanks!

anandk

Distinguished Member
vimal_mehrotra said:
This is because of norton's remains.See this *kb.winantivirus.com/index.php?do=view_question&id=56

i was going to rep u ! but not now :mad: bcoz ur link dznt open :D

but yea, cud be norton. so uninstal trend. uninstal ur norton using its uninstaller (jst search for it pls). reboot. then clear up ur pc junk using 'ccleaner'. reboot. then try reinstalling trend.

*i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/happyandy/stylucm5.gif

anandk

Distinguished Member
now i know why its not opening on my pc!

its a frigging rogue av program. and if u just google for 'winantivirus' in the results u will get a warning thus :

WinAntiVirus Pro 2006 - Antivirus protection against all viruses ...
This site may harm your computer.
Antivirus software protection against all viruses, trojan horses & adware, spyware threats and hacker attacks. Leading Antivirus software. WinAntiVirus Pro ...www .winantivirus.com/

:arrow: i always say use a good host, and crapware sites just WONT open !

u can download an 'ideal' hosts file from here *www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm unzip it and replace ur host file with this one. then make it 'read-only'. this way u will be protected from spyware too. for more click *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28418&highlight=host
AND *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14753&highlight=zonedout

uh oh...do u still want the rep :D and ya, change ur link lest it harm some unprotected pc.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
The article describes procedures of removing Norton AntiVirus 2005 on Windows 98/2000/ME and XP operating systems. While the initial description outlines the method of removing the application through Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, the latter half gives the workaround for situations when elimination through Add/Remove Programs fails.

More Information

The standard method of removing Norton AntiVirus 2005 is through Add/Remove Programs of the Windows Control Panel.

To uninstall the software from Windows Control Panel, follow the steps below:

1. Move to the Control Panel. Follow the path:

a) Start -> Settings -> Control Panel on Windows 98/2000/ME operating systems.

1code1.gif
b) Start -> Control Panel on Windows XP operating system.

1XP_contol_panel.gif

2. Double click Add/Remove Programs. The screenshot below depicts the Control Panel window on Windows 98/2000/ME operating systems.

1Add_remove_programs.gif

3. In the list of currently installed programs, select Norton AntiVirus 2005 (Symantec Corporation) and click Remove.

1Add_Remove_NAV5.gif

4. Click Remove All to confirm the delete operation of the product.

5. If files are present in the quarantine folder, a message will appear asking you if you want to delete them. Clicking Yes deletes the quarantined files while No leaves the files inaccessible on your computer.

6. Click Reboot Now and then click Finish.

Workaround

Removal instructions when uninstalling through Add/Remove Programs fails

Step 1. Removing Norton AntiVirus 2005 from the System Registry

Follow the steps below to remove the registry keys of Norton AntiVirus 2005 by making use of the corresponding reg file depending on your operating system:

NOTE: It is strongly recommended that you take a backup of the system registry before attempting any modifications. This is to prevent situations when incorrect changes can result in permanent loss of data or file corruption. Please be careful and modify only the keys specified.

To remove registry keys of Norton AntiVirus 2005:

1. Get the corresponding zip file from our site:

a) *download.winantivirus.com/files/nav2005_2kxp_removal.zip if you have Windows XP/2000 operating system.
b) *download.winantivirus.com/files/nav2005_98Me_removal.zip if you have Windows 98/ME operating system.

2. Click Save in the File Download dialog.
3. Change the location in the Save in field to Desktop and click Save.
4. If prompted, click Close when the download completes.
5. Unzip the downloaded archive to the desktop and double-click the unzipped nav2005_removal.reg file on the desktop to import the changes into your registry.
6. At the next prompt, click OK. The Norton AntiVirus 2005 registry keys are removed.
7. Reboot your PC to proceed with next step.

Proceed to the next section.

Step 2. Remove Norton AntiVirus folders

To remove Norton AntiVirus folders:

1. Click Start -> Run from the Windows Desktop.
2. In the Open field, type the destination of Norton AntiVirus 2005’s Program Files folder. The default destination is C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus. If you installed the application to any other location, type the corresponding destination.
3. Delete the Norton AntiVirus 2005 installation folder.
4. Next, do one of the following:

* If you have no other Symantec products on the computer, delete the following three folders:

C:\Program Files\Symantec
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec

If you have other Symantec products on the computer, delete the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus

This completes the removal procedures of Norton AntiVirus 2005 from your computer.

NOTE: If you encounter any problems after the abovementioned operationsm please reinstall Windows Script 5.6.

To reinstall Windows Script 5.6, follow the steps below:

1. Go to the Microsoft link:

a) "Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP."
www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...43-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&displaylang=en
If the operating system installed on your PC is Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Click the Download button under the header to begin the download.

b) "Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 98 and ME."
www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...F6-249C-4A72-BFCF-FC6AF26DC390&displaylang=en
If the operating system installed on your PC is Windows 98/ME. Click the Download button under the header to begin the download.

2. Click Open or Run this program from its current location.
3. Click Yes at the next prompt.
4. Click Yes at the license Agreement.
5. When the installation finishes, the dialog box "Windows Script 5.6 is now installed!" opens. Click OK.
6. Close all running programs, and restart the computer.

Source:winantivirus.com

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
I did everything...ran that reg file...deleted all symantec folders but still the same problem...
guess I have to go in for someother anti virus..

T

thunderbird.117

anandk said:
i was going to rep u ! but not now :mad: bcoz ur link dznt open :D

but yea, cud be norton. so uninstal trend. uninstal ur norton using its uninstaller (jst search for it pls). reboot. then clear up ur pc junk using 'ccleaner'. reboot. then try reinstalling trend.

*i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/happyandy/stylucm5.gif
The links is working for me. I will give him a rep. :D.

One more things. How do i rep him. ?. :D

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
dont open that link,google says it may contain malware(though I did not had any problem with it.)
oh and to rep just press the balance button below my avatar.:D

anandk

Distinguished Member
thunderbird : my host file is set to block such suspicious links. winantivirus is a rogue av, hence it was not opening for me. pls read my 2nd post ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom