Transfer Installed Software From One Hard Disk To Another Hard Disk

Charley

Just Do It
I have partitioned single hard disk into 4 i.e C:, D:, E:, F:

C: has 15 GB, but only 500 MB remaining. I need to transfer installed softwares to D: without uninstalling the existing one on C:, to get free space?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Generally not possible. You may try copying items from Program Files, but many software will work and many will not.

Which won't work, there's no way to fix other than re-installing it.

gameranand

Living to Play
I have partitioned single hard disk into 4 i.e C:, D:, E:, F:

C: has 15 GB, but only 500 MB remaining. I need to transfer installed softwares to D: without uninstalling the existing one on C:, to get free space?

Well most sofwares works but the thing is that their entries in uninstaller won't won't work then, also all shortcuts will be broken. Better to install them again. :)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Program executable is just one part of the application.. there are registry settings which also needs to be corrected.. easiest way is to reinstall the application.

Check these links.

Move Installed Programs To Another Windows Partition Without Reinstalling

how to move programs to other partition than C: - Windows-XP-General-Discussion - Windows-XP

aaruni

The Linux Guy
generally, when a file is installed, it also makes changes to the registry, and when you move the files, the softwares may cease to function because it won't be corresponding with the registry anymore.

There are portable versions of some softwares though, which require no installation, and can be moved around.

I don't think it's going to work for you...Though I know that there are some software that claims that they can do something without getting the software uninstalled

Top Bottom