Status
Not open for further replies.

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Hi. I have a 16 GB Class 10 Transcend Micro SD HC Card. I use it in my Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime Android device. I was copying files from my sd card to my laptop and then I deleted some photos from my sd card in bulk (around 2 GB). But the deletion speed was very slow and when the process was 50% complete, I got frustrated (since the CLASS 10 SD card behaved very slow) and paused and cancelled the Delete process in my laptop. Now after deleting some photos one by one, I safely removed the SD card and inserted it into my Android device. The device said it was configuring the card and suddenly my phone screen went blank. After a few seconds I removed the sd card and my phone came back to life. Then I tried inserting the card into another Android device - Samsung Galaxy On7 Pro and that device detected the card and said it was corrupted and asked me to format it to fix the card. I touched the format option that appeared on my screen. But the format process failed. So I inserted the card again in my laptop. For my surprise, the files that I deleted previously reappeared again unaffected. I couldn't format or delete the contents of the card. If I do so, they disappear and reappear again when I remove and insert it again. But I can copy the files from my sd card to my laptop. So I immediately took a backup of important data.
Now could anyone please help me with this strange SD card problem and provide a solution?

P.S. : I have already tried the CMD->Diskpart Format feature and it resulted in failure.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Try the card via some card reader and see if you are able to format. Also try it in some other phone and see whether you are able to format or not.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
I used the SD Card Formatter software and tried to format it.
First I used the Quick Format option. But it didn't work and the Format failed.
After ejecting and re-inserting again, I tried the Overwrite Format option. This time too the operation failed and gave me a text file named "Debug.txt".
The text file's contents are as follows:
FSTYPE:FAT32
FSCLUSTERSIZE:32768
FSTOTALBYTES:16079912960
FSBYTESFREE:16079880192
FSLABEL:ARAVIND RAM
PROGRESS:0/100 Overwriting the beginning of the device with zeroed data...
[WARNING] Error during write. Sleeping 2 seconds and retrying write (4 retries left). Error: 13 (Permission denied)
[WARNING] Error during write. Sleeping 2 seconds and retrying write (3 retries left). Error: 13 (Permission denied)
[WARNING] Error during write. Sleeping 2 seconds and retrying write (2 retries left). Error: 13 (Permission denied)
[ERROR] Error while issuing DeviceIoControl to lock volume: 0x00000005 (Access is denied.)
[ERROR] Failed to write lock '\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0': 5 (Input/output error)
[WARNING] Error during write. Sleeping 2 seconds and retrying write (1 retries left). Error: 13 (Permission denied)
[ERROR] Partial write of padding (0 < 1048576) to offset 0. Aborting.
[ERROR] Error filling leading part of device with zeroes: 5 (Input/output error)
[ERROR] Error while writing volume structures: 5 (Input/output error)
Formatting failed!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like hardware damage,some sandisk ultra mini pen drives also behave in a similar manner where they get converted to "write protected" state after encountering some hardware issue(usually overheating). After that one can just copy the already present data but can't erase/format/write any new data. Time to get warranty or a new card(I recommend samsung evo plus).

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Looks like hardware damage,some sandisk ultra mini pen drives also behave in a similar manner where they get converted to "write protected" state after encountering some hardware issue(usually overheating). After that one can just copy the already present data but can't erase/format/write any new data. Time to get warranty or a new card(I recommend samsung evo plus).
Yes. Exactly what you've told is the problem that I've encountered. Thank you for taking time and answering in this thread.
But I have no idea of getting a new card since I'm broke.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
How were you testing the sd card in your machine ? Did u use a MicroSD -> SD Card Converter and then plugged in to your laptop's slot ? or a MicroSD to USB converter ?

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
How were you testing the sd card in your machine ? Did u use a MicroSD -> SD Card Converter and then plugged in to your laptop's slot ? or a MicroSD to USB converter ?
I used a MicroSD to USB converter / adapter / reader (whatever they call it) commonly known - Card Reader.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Can you try one last time with a MicroSD to SD card converter and plugging it directly to a laptop.
Reason for that is, most microsd to usb converters are total piece of shits.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Can you try one last time with a MicroSD to SD card converter and plugging it directly to a laptop.
Ok. Sure. Thanks for this idea.
But I don't have any MicroSD to SD converter now and I haven't even used it ever. How much does a good quality piece cost? Any suggestions?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Ok. Sure. Thanks for this idea.
But I don't have any MicroSD to SD converter now and I haven't even used it ever. How much does a good quality piece cost? Any suggestions?
Dont buy it, try to source it from any friend.
Otherwise if you are buying a new SD Card, samsung evo sd card has it included. Remember your laptop also must have a sd card slot, otherwise its moot.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Dont buy it, try to source it from any friend.
Otherwise if you are buying a new SD Card, samsung evo sd card has it included. Remember your laptop also must have a sd card slot, otherwise its moot.
Yeah, my Laptop has an SD card slot. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Could you please send me the link of that Samung Card?

I'm a little bit confused between SD & micro SD.
If I buy an SD card means, does it contain a micro SD card inside it? Please explain this.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
SD Card is the largest form factor, its used in digital cameras.
MicroSDs are smaller ones that can fit in phones.
A MicroSD to SD card adapter can "convert" a MicroSD to SD Card size.

*www.amazon.in/Samsung-MicroSDHC-Me...id=1542046836&sr=1-1&keywords=Samsung+SD+card

*images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ds3ZmsDOL.jpg

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Oh.. so that means an SD Card and a Micro SD to SD Adapter are two distinct entities, right?
Thank you so much for enlightening me :)

TheSloth

The Slowest One
If the SD card has become write protected then did you try to toggle the physical switch on the SD card??

Remove Write Protection - How to Remove Write-Protection from Memory Card USB Drive

If you have any write protected switch on your card then try following the instructions and see if it works.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
If the SD card has become write protected then did you try to toggle the physical switch on the SD card??

Remove Write Protection - How to Remove Write-Protection from Memory Card USB Drive

If you have any write protected switch on your card then try following the instructions and see if it works.
I'm using micro SD. There's no switch in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom