Status
Not open for further replies.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Chances are less that this will work (especially if it's bad hadware) but what if in Diskpart (before formatting) you select the disk and hit the command

ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY

To test if this worked or not, eject and reconnect the Micro SD card

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Chances are less that this will work (especially if it's bad hadware) but what if in Diskpart (before formatting) you select the disk and hit the command

ATTRIBUTES DISK CLEAR READONLY

To test if this worked or not, eject and reconnect the Micro SD card

Tried it. But didn't work.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep your eye on paytmmall for sales like christmas/new year/republic day/holi/independence day/oct mega sale,you will get a good deal on memory cards(go for samsung evo plus or sandisk ultra A1 though evo plus is a bit better). Make sure to buy from "brand authorized seller"(logo on top) only.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Keep your eye on paytmmall for sales like christmas/new year/republic day/holi/independence day/oct mega sale,you will get a good deal on memory cards(go for samsung evo plus or sandisk ultra A1 though evo plus is a bit better). Make sure to buy from "brand authorized seller"(logo on top) only.
Sure. :) Thank you

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Did the above command return any errors, or did it just land at the diskpart prompt?
In the meantime you may also like to try diskpart CLEAN ALL command on the SD Card.

This command will attempt to clear every bit on the flash drive and shall attempt to initialize the disk. However you must carefully select the correct disk number that matches your SD card. Selecting wrong disk number would result into data loss from other selected disk. I hope, to the extent possible you have already taken the backup of your data that was accessible on the SD card after the problem developed.

CLEAN ALL is time consuming, could take from several minutes to hour depending on size and speed of the SD Card. The command may return any errors or might finish successfully. If successful, then try to initialize the disk and create a FAT32 partition and attempt to format again.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Samsung/SanDisk 64gigs were selling for 998/- during the Diwali sales on Amazon.
Christmas/New year sales should have the same kinda discount.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Same on paytmmall but with additional 150-200 cashback.I saw 64gb sandisk usb 3.0 flashdrive going for 750 after cashback in flash sale on paytmmall.Similar with cards.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beware of paytm most sellers are cheaters besides the one's as mentioned by you who are verified or something.
"Brand Authorized Seller",they have actual stores in cities markets & are official sellers of a product.I purchased some items from them(pen drives,memory cards,hdd/ssd) & it always come fine.One seller was actually even in my city itself but it is far from my home plus I get good cashback from paytm so I order via paytmmall only.:)

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Did the above command return any errors, or did it just land at the diskpart prompt?
In the meantime you may also like to try diskpart CLEAN ALL command on the SD Card.

This command will attempt to clear every bit on the flash drive and shall attempt to initialize the disk. However you must carefully select the correct disk number that matches your SD card. Selecting wrong disk number would result into data loss from other selected disk. I hope, to the extent possible you have already taken the backup of your data that was accessible on the SD card after the problem developed.

CLEAN ALL is time consuming, could take from several minutes to hour depending on size and speed of the SD Card. The command may return any errors or might finish successfully. If successful, then try to initialize the disk and create a FAT32 partition and attempt to format again.

No. The command didn't give any error. It said "Read only : No". But I again reset the disk attributes using the command you provided previously. And then I tried to copy a Text file. But it didn't get pasted in the sd card.

As for as backup is concerned, I have copied the data to my laptop. But the sd card is also still having all the data in it. I can copy and paste those files (from sd card to other devices) as many times I may want. But I couldn't delete them or format the card.

Now I tried the Clean All command and I got this: (see Image)
cmd dskprt.png

billubakra

Conversation Architect
No. The command didn't give any error. It said "Read only : No". But I again reset the disk attributes using the command you provided previously. And then I tried to copy a Text file. But it didn't get pasted in the sd card.

As for as backup is concerned, I have copied the data to my laptop. But the sd card is also still having all the data in it. I can copy and paste those files (from sd card to other devices) as many times I may want. But I couldn't delete them or format the card.

Now I tried the Clean All command and I got this: (see Image)
View attachment 17764
Card's kaput unfortunately. Hope you had backed up your data.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Ok..just one more suggestion from my side!! If the sd card mounts itself to a drive letter in explorer then open a command prompt and try this command

CHKDSK E: /F

Where E: is the actual drive letter and /F is to attempt to fix or isolate bad sectors.

See what result it gives. Now chances are very less that this will work, and even if it does just consider it as a stop-gap arrangement. Anyhow the SD card can not be trusted anymore and better to invest in a new one.

OP
Aravind Ram

Aravind Ram

Broken In
Ok..just one more suggestion from my side!! If the sd card mounts itself to a drive letter in explorer then open a command prompt and try this command

CHKDSK E: /F

Where E: is the actual drive letter and /F is to attempt to fix or isolate bad sectors.

See what result it gives. Now chances are very less that this will work, and even if it does just consider it as a stop-gap arrangement. Anyhow the SD card can not be trusted anymore and better to invest in a new one.
I tried that command and it said "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems":facepalm:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried that command and it said "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems":facepalm:
That is expected,if a device has become read only but still has data preserved fine then chkdsk should not return any errors.Having no errors in saved data & being unable to write new data are two different things.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Generally if the device is read only and you attempt CHKDSK with /F parameter it is likely to warn you that it can not proceed because the device is read only. It seems the hardware error has tricked CHKDSK in this case.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
chkdsk runs at software level only,as far as it is concerned the SD card has no errors because its data integrity is fine.It can not see a "hardware locked write protection" & /f parameter will only come into play if there is any error in data integrity(which is not there in such cases as data is fine).

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Yes, this could confirm that the SD card has hardware issue. Generally /F does not run on Software Locked drive. It returns a warning that CHKDSK can not proceed. The fact that it has proceeded could mean that the hardware fault has tricked it into believing that it's fine or Current Read-Only bit is set to true.

I ask OP to share a screenshot of the command DETAIL DISK in DISKPART after selecting the SD CARD disk. What is the status of Current Read-Only State and Read-Only options therein?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again diskpart too may not show any "read only state" info because it too is unaware of hardware level write protection.No software should be able to tell correct state for a hardware locked device unless it performs a write operation(& they usually don't for such tasks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom