TRAI received 80% replies on net neutrality from Facebook

Flash

Lost in speed
Judgement day is approaching for the fate of net neutrality in India. As Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) gears up to frame the net neutrality rules, telecom operators have favoured differential pricing for data services. Nearly 80% replies to the regulator’s consultation process follow the Facebook ‘templates’ for its controversy-ridden Free Basics platform.

Net Neutrality activists continue to oppose any differential pricing regime, saying it would amount to curbs on freedom of choice to access Internet. At the same time, Facebook has executed a massive campaign to project its Free Basics platform as a tool to spread connectivity.

On analysing the record 24 lakh comments received by the TRAI to its consultation paper on differential pricing for data services, shows that 18.94 lakh replies were in support of Free Basics, of which 13.5 lakh were through ‘@supportfreebasics.in’ and without the senders’ individual e-mail IDs, while further 5.44 lakh comments have come from ‘@facebookmail.com’.

TRAI received 80% replies on net neutrality from Facebook | tech$top | Hindustan Times

Aashish_Goyal

Right off the assembly line
I can see Mr. Zuckerberg and his team being extremely desperate to push through FB - Free Basics, and doing everything and anything they can, including massive newspaper ads to promote their campaign.

And human psychology tells us that when someone or a group is very desperate about something, then it is never good and/or favourable to people in general. And Free Basics may only be the first step in achieving what they want. Such huge organizations have thousands of planners to plan the future and the steps they need to walk. Though, we may not be able to individually see their foresight, but their desperation shows a lot about them.

This is the only reason, I DONT support Free Basics. Who else is with me?

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
i can see mr. Zuckerberg and his team being extremely desperate to push through fb - free basics, and doing everything and anything they can, including massive newspaper ads to promote their campaign.

And human psychology tells us that when someone or a group is very desperate about something, then it is never good and/or favourable to people in general. And free basics may only be the first step in achieving what they want. Such huge organizations have thousands of planners to plan the future and the steps they need to walk. Though, we may not be able to individually see their foresight, but their desperation shows a lot about them.

This is the only reason, i dont support free basics. Who else is with me?
I am with you and always in favour of net neutrality.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see Mr. Zuckerberg and his team being extremely desperate to push through FB - Free Basics, and doing everything and anything they can, including massive newspaper ads to promote their campaign.

And human psychology tells us that when someone or a group is very desperate about something, then it is never good and/or favourable to people in general. And Free Basics may only be the first step in achieving what they want. Such huge organizations have thousands of planners to plan the future and the steps they need to walk. Though, we may not be able to individually see their foresight, but their desperation shows a lot about them.

This is the only reason, I DONT support Free Basics. Who else is with me?

count me in ... Stop using FB - better use twitter / whatsapp or any other messenger service - even google + is better. FB need to feel the backlash and once they see users of FB has dropped they may think straight.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Even then its not even close to the 11 million supporters that Facebook claim to have.

Minion

Conversation Architect
count me in ... Stop using FB - better use twitter / whatsapp or any other messenger service - even google + is better. FB need to feel the backlash and once they see users of FB has dropped they may think straight.

Whatapps has been bought by Facebook now.Most people use Facebook just to showoff. I agree google plus is better lots of tech related circles.

akki585

Broken In
I do have read many articles on free basics.
But someone can tell me in details what is this.How it is related to net neutrality.How it does matter.I have sent a email to TRAI against free basics.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I do have read many articles on free basics.
But someone can tell me in details what is this.How it is related to net neutrality.How it does matter.I have sent a email to TRAI against free basics.

This should give you some insights: A change of name to Free Basics doesn’t make Facebook’s Zero Rating service neutral - MediaNama

Ask any specific questions if you have doubts.

ranjithyqn

Right off the assembly line
i have send mail against net neutrality to TRAI..every indian internet user should participate in this war and fight againt net neutrality

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
This should give you some insights: A change of name to Free Basics doesn’t make Facebook’s Zero Rating service neutral - MediaNama

Ask any specific questions if you have doubts.

cleared out some doubts I had... one of which was why exactly free basics is against net neutrality in India
this is orwellian level of doublespeak, blatantly breaking net neutrality while openly claiming not to be doing it

Top Bottom