TRAI-New advertisement rules

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
NEW DELHI: Television channels will not be able to show advertisements for more than twelve minutes in an hour as per the latest regulations issued by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India today.

In a statement, TRAI said as per the Standards of Quality of Service Regulations 2012, "The duration of advertisements in the TV channels is to be limited to 12 minutes per clock hour."

Any shortfall of advertisement duration in any clock hour cannot be carried over, the telecom regulator said.

TRAI has also specified in its statement that the minimum time gap between any two consecutive advertisement breaks should not be less than 15 minutes while in case of movies, this time gap should be a minimum of 30 minutes.

The conditions shall not apply in case of live broadcast of a sporting event, it said.

"The advertisements during live broadcast of a sporting event should be only during the breaks in the sporting action," the TRAI statement said.

To make the viewer's TV watching experience better TRAI has also specified that advertisements should be only full screen.

"Part-screen and drop-down advertisements would not be permitted," the statement said.

To remove the possibility of an advertiser trying to use a higher sound level to grab attention, TRAI has incorporated another prohibitory regulation.

"The audio level of the advertisements carried in TV channels not to be higher than the audio level of the programmes being broadcast in the channel," the statement said.

Not more than 12 minutes to ads per hour: TRAI to TV channels - The Economic Times

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow! Finally some good news from TRAI!
Its a welcome change that was long over due. I used to prefer English movie channels or entertainment channels, for most part, only because their advertising was not too abrupt, obtrusive or long.

Finally, people in India will be granted some much needed breaks from the breaks :D

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
^^ Yeah.
I sometimes forget what was i seeing on tv when i switch on movies now :p.God their breaks would be about 10 mins long

"Part-screen and drop-down advertisements would not be permitted," the statement said

This is good!
Why cant trai get good rules for broadband?

desai_amogh

In the zone
^So does this mean, lets say in IPL, they will have to stop showing those adds all over the screen while match is going on ??
also, they cant show ads after evry over is complete ?? or a player is out ??

gforz

Maximum GAME
So does this mean, lets say in IPL, they will have to stop showing those adds all over the screen while match is going on ??
Yes stop displaying ads,stated clearly in the first post
also, they cant show ads after evry over is complete ?? or a player is out ??
after every over ? Yes they can show ads,I guess coz thats a valid break during sports action.
Player is out ?Not very sure,but I feel yes they can show ads.

This is a great move by TRAI.Something to cheer about after a long time:doublethumb:

desai_amogh

In the zone
ye ye ye !! i dont like cricket much... but ya.. this is a good move by TRAI !! now I can watch all those hilarious Hindi dubbed south movies with lesser breaks :p !! i just hated those "bas do minute ka break" movies.......

monkey

Padawan
UTV Movie channel will die soon...its got good movies but 10 minutes of movie is followed by 15 minutes of ad....They deserved such order...

desai_amogh

In the zone
will this cause price hike in dth or cable subscriptions ??
lesser Ads, lesser revenue.. channels will have to compensate the revenues lost due to this somehow... what do u guys think ?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
i Think Zee guys specially Zee Cinema(infamous for ads as long as 15mins or so IMO)
Must have undergone a COMPLETE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN after this Rule.

will this cause price hike in dth or cable subscriptions ??
lesser Ads, lesser revenue.. channels will have to compensate the revenues lost due to this somehow... what do u guys think ?
For sure there are going to be SIDE-EFFECTS of this Rule. :wink:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^^Nice point. Have a chance.

But there's also one point. Suppose Advertising rate can be high, because almost all the advertisers will try to gain some time within that 12min slot for a popular daily soap or movie or Live Sports too.

What do you guys think..??

desai_amogh

In the zone
this could be just another money making option for them.. increase Ad prices, increase channel prices .. make more profits.. win win situation for channels !

Sujeet

Undead!!!
well
Breaks after 15min during normal shows means that during normal Serials there will be only one add since most of soaps(which i hate as usual) runs for 30min(with ads) and Channels can air ads after aruntime of 15min minimum so that means Channels have to manage 12 min of Commercials across runtime of 1hr which points to the fact that they will be restricted to air 6min of ads at most during one show and hence the actual runtime of show will be extended to 24min avg from 20min avg.(4 extra minutes of mindless drama...cheers Soap freaks :p)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
This is bad. It hampers free speech. Yes, we get more quality time, but see the point of the government intervening for media broadcast. They could do the same with the www.

Sad.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
This is bad. It hampers free speech. Yes, we get more quality time, but see the point of the government intervening for media broadcast. They could do the same with the www.

Sad.

Censorhip on www or Net Ban.huh???

I think they have already tried a lot to do similar thing to web in past and none of them bore any fruit for them so far.

And We should cheer for atleast something good(contextually atleast) coming from Indian Go# in midst of all those nonsense sh@t that they do with full DIGNITY everyday.

OP
theserpent

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
TV channels revenues will be the same.
They get sponsors for their shows.
And they surely do make more profit
EG:-Star Group HD channels show breaks for 30 secs.Shows get over in 23 mins

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I don't think this would be implemented.

First the channels and then the companies would file case against this directive.
After a long time, a midground would be found. Like 5 mins ad every 15 minutes or as they think.

As it happened with ATM money withdrawls, number portability (inter city) etc.

I'm not much hopeful.

Top Bottom