Touch Typing.. help required

RavS

Kiddie Coder
Ever since i started typing i have been using 'hunt and peck' technique to type. But now I have started to practice touch typing to improve my accuracy and speed.
Its been about 2 months since i started out and I have memorized the keyboard layout. Currently my speed is around 25 wpm with an accuracy of around 97%.

Here are a few things I would like to know:
1. What is the average speed of a good typist and in how much time can i expect to reach that speed?

2. How much does the quality and ergonomics of the keyboard matters in touch typing? I use a very cheap keyboard which i think does hinder in my typing, but i still think better speed with the same keyboard can be achieved, may be using a better technique.

3. Is there anything else i can do besides regular practice on the touch typing program?

4. Whenever i try to type rapidly i tend to make a lot of mistakes. So at this stage, should i focus on speed or accuracy?

Hopefully i have posted my question at the right place. Waiting for answers and advices. Thanks in advance.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Ah-ha!!!

Welcome to Dheeraj Kumar's Typing Tutorial.

First, open Notepad.

Second, Look at your keyboard and type your first name.

Type it again.

More. More. Type it twenty times.

Now close your eyes and do it again. Twenty more.

Now repeat with your last name.

Then your girlfriend's name.

And so on.

My personal 100% working tested and proven method of improving keyboard speed and accuracy.

OP
RavS

RavS

Kiddie Coder
Well dheeraj, ur method may just work. But the problem is that I am not patient enough to keep writing the same word 20 times (even if its of my gf!)

BTW I am slowing gaining speed with practice so am not so much of a novice now. I wanted to know how can I improve my speed quickly..

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I have improved my speed by Yahoo chatting. I did a lot and lot of typing. See the essence of the method suggested by dheeraj is also the same....the more you type the better it becomes. Download a free typing master software..that should also help you...

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
TypeRacer - Test your typing speed and learn to type faster. Free typing game and competition. Way more fun than a typing tutor! - awesome site for improving typing speed

OP
RavS

RavS

Kiddie Coder
I have improved my speed by Yahoo chatting. I did a lot and lot of typing. See the essence of the method suggested by dheeraj is also the same....the more you type the better it becomes. Download a free typing master software..that should also help you...

Chatting is a brilliant way to improve typing speed. Ask me!:razz: I have developed some respectable 2 finger typing speed, using it.
But the thing is that now i am learning to touch type and i can't right now use touch typing for chatting (Actually, I tried, but my speed noticeably decreased and friends complained. When I tried to type faster I started making far too many errors).

I am already using a Typing Software religiously but now my speed improvement somehow has stopped. I am stuck in b/w 30 and 35 wpm:cry:. So was looking for some tips to improve it further. Finger positioning, better keyboard, anything?

TypeRacer - Test your typing speed and learn to type faster. Free typing game and competition. Way more fun than a typing tutor! - awesome site for improving typing speed

I have already completed 60 races and won more than 20:razz:..
But I am a bit confused. The typing software I use, never tells my speed to be more than 35 wpm but while using TypeRacer I almost always get speed over 35 wpm. I don't know which of them is the correct indicator.

Top Bottom