Total Linux n00b, wants to shift to linux, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Outsider

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
ah ok dude, repping thing is fine with me, rest i have the different version of the modem so that guide is useless for me :(

now i'll try to find another drivers and mp3 playing is still a problem.

praka123

left this forum longback
mp3 support in ubuntu dapper fully needs gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly,bad and good installed..hmm u need an external dialup modem for better browsing.for internal modems identify there is a `scanmodem` utility (which u can run as " ./scanmodem") and drivers at *www.linmodems.org

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
chesterrrrr

chillax............just have FUN learning about it...... that should be your first priority :)

the rest will fall in place

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
hello guys i finally crosd my fingers and took a risk and using the instructions of
tech_your_future indtalled ubuntu but how to get started using internet in it..I have a 256kbps unlmited internet connection and have a HUAWEI modem

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
tech_your_future said:
Check the sticky thread on BSNL.

Hey i did it myself on my own :Dwith some knowledge:p and man it rocks:lol:
In windows u can see where windows OS files are installed..In linux how to see where those sys files are located..i can see all my drives and including one extra drive called "File system".i clicked on "Places" on the taskbar on the top and then went to
"Computer" and i am not able to see where ubuntu is installed.Any help guys :) and b/w watz dis "WORKSPACE" which i can see in the rght bottom on my desktop:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
rakeshishere said:
In windows u can see where windows OS files are installed..In linux how to see where those sys files are located.
There's no specific location as such. See *www.pathname.com/fhs/ to understand more about what files are stored where.

rakeshishere said:
i can see all my drives and including one extra drive called "File system".i clicked on "Places" on the taskbar on the top and then went to
"Computer" and i am not able to see where ubuntu is installed.Any help guys :)
Ubuntu is installed in Filesystem. The filesystem entry you see is / partition of ubuntu.

rakeshishere said:
and b/w watz dis "WORKSPACE" which i can see in the rght bottom on my desktop:confused:
There are many virtual desktops in linux. This is not so well known to windows users. There are 4 Virtual Desktops by defualt in most distros. This means you have 4 desktops to work on. This can be expanded to 20 virtual desktops.

S

sariq

here is a nice collection:
*www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=186792

for mp3 i am able to install XMMS :-D
Code:
sudo apt-get install xmms

OP
The Outsider

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
still stuck bout the mp3 and modem
i can't use synaptic manager as i can't configure my modem to work in ubuntu.

found the exact name, its PCTel 688 HSP modem

is there any way by which i can enable the mp3 without using synaptic manager.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Chester said:

i too had the same problem...U can do this in a simple way.On the top rght side click APPLICATIONS---->Add/Remove---->Sound/video---->XMMS music player...Install that and play mp3s in ubuntu..Thats how i found it:cool:

mehulved

Chester said:

Download scanModem from here *132.68.73.235/linmodems/index.html#scanmodem and follow the instructions. And tell us if you get stuck at any point.
Chester said:
Download win32codecs.

OP
The Outsider

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
tried the win32 codecs as shown in the guide and the readme of codecs but still totem won't play any mp3 or movie,

gonna try scanmodem now :(

OP
The Outsider

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
tried the scanmodem tool, it detected my modem and gave link to the driver

i installed the driver too
everything fine

so the modem is installed on /dev/ttySL0 or /dev/ttySL1 both works

problem is i go to Networking and and configure everything and click on activate (nothing happens) , i click on ok still nothing happens but the modem dials the number and after 1 min or so connection drops and theres nothing shown up on the screen in the whole process, just the hear my modem dialing and trying to connect.

i'm confused, plz help

can't paste my modemdata.txt here as my partitions are NTFS

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@Chester: uh after the connecting sound stops.... did you try to see if any pages were loading or not?

I could not tell from your post whether you meant that you expected to see a "connected" message (which even I dont get) or that nothing was loading. If it is the latter, try it a few times and see (works for me at times)

mehulved

Type the following in the terminal
Code:
ifconfig
See if it is showing anything in the errors column.
I haven't ever used dial up on linux so haven't got much idea. But, you can google it up if you can find any tuts on how to connect to your ISP or tell us which ISP you are using, someone might be able to guide you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom