Top 100 3D Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

elenec

Broken In
CGSociety and 3D World present a rundown of the Top 100 3D Movies as selected by the CG community

What marks out a truly great 3D movie? The knowledge that it pioneered techniques that became standards within the industry, as Flight of the Navigator did with reflection mapping?
Or that it raised the bar on the volume of effects work possible in a movie, as with Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace? Or simply that it told a memorable story? That was the question we posed in our recent poll to determine the most influential 3D movies of all time, organised in conjunction with 3D World magazine, the industry's leading community portal.

To qualify for inclusion on our shortlist, a movie needed to meet three criteria: to have a running time of 60 minutes or longer; to have received a full cinematic release;and to include a significant element of 3D animation or VFX work, as opposed to matte painting or compositing.

Films like Blade Runner - although undoubtedly influential - were excluded on the grounds that they featured only traditional effects.

Movies that received an Academy Award nomination were automatically included, as did those whose technology reels were screened in the Electronic Theater at SIGGRAPH.

The remainder were chosen from standard reference books such as Isaac Kerlow's The Art of 3D Computer Animation and Effects, and according to feedback from our own contacts in the industry. Visitors to CGSociety were then asked to pick the 10 films on the shortlist that they most admired technically; that had the greatest impact on their working lives; or that most made them want to work in 3D in the first place.

During the three weeks it remained online, 5,874 people filled out the poll, casting well over 50,000 individual votes. To the best of our knowledge, this makes it the largest survey of its type ever conducted - and the definitive guide to the films that shaped an industry.
TOP 100

Apollo 13

SUPERMAN RETURNS

MARS ATTACKS!

TOTAL RECALL

MONSTER HOUSE

TWISTER

SUNSHINE

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR

THE LAWNMOWER MAN

Alien3

STAR TREK: THE WRATH OF KHAN

ANTZ

WALLACE AND GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT

X-MEN

PITCH BLACK

THE POLAR EXPRESS

BLADE

THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE

TOY STORY 2

BLACK HAWK DOWN

PEARL HARBOR

YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES

THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN

X2: X-Men United

THE LAST STARFIGHTER

APPLESEED

CONTACT

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME

SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW

GHOST IN THE SHELL 2: INNOCENCE

ARMAGEDDON

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

MADAGASCAR

Labyrinth

HOLLOW MAN

THE MASK

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE

HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE

SHREK 2

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: AI

THE CORPSE BRIDE

CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON

BATMAN BEGINS

WAR OF THE WORLDS

DRAGONHEART

SPIDER-MAN 2

HAPPY FEET

THE LION KING

MEN IN BLACK

SPIDER-MAN

CHILDREN OF MEN

STAR WARS: EPISODE 2 - ATTACK OF THE CLONES

PRINCESS MONONOKE

THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW

A BUG'S LIFE

THE MATRIX RELOADED

TITANIC

FORREST GUMP

STAR WARS: EPISODE 1 - THE PHANTOM MENACE

STARSHIP TROOPERS

THE IRON GIANT

SPIRITED AWAY

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS

GLADIATOR

SPIDER-MAN 3

INDEPENDENCE DAY

THE ABYSS

GHOST IN THE SHELL

CARS

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

AKIRA

PAN'S LABYRINTH

I, ROBOT

THE FIFTH ELEMENT

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END

FIGHT CLUB

ICE AGE

STAR WARS: EPISODE 3 - REVENGE OF THE SITH

SHREK

TRON

MONSTERS, INC.

SIN CITY

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

FINDING NEMO

KING KONG

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

THE INCREDIBLES

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN

TRANSFORMERS

RATATOUILLE

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

TOY STORY

JURASSIC PARK

THE MATRIX​
Source

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
This is wrong .. it should have been CG Movies and not 3D .. I wonder how the cgsociety named it this way.. :confused:
there is only a handfull of 3D movies made.. 3D should not be confused with CG( Computer Gfx ) which all of the above movies use. Till date I havent seen even a single 3D movie, 3D movies require a special glasses to be used to see the movie.
This is the list of all 3D films released Link

int86

You'r Born Free
This is wrong .. it should have been CG Movies and not 3D .. I wonder how the cgsociety named it this way.. :confused:
there is only a handfull of 3D movies made.. 3D should not be confused with CG( Computer Gfx ) which all of the above movies use. Till date I havent seen even a single 3D movie, 3D movies require a special glasses to be used to see the movie.
This is the list of all 3D films released Link

Agreed

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice lsit ... came to know about some of the films I've never seen :p

But as Charan said they are not 3D movies ... a good 3D film I can think about is AVATAR :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom