Top 10 Linux Desktop Hurdles

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Unlike the myths that are behind the prevention of Linux adoption, this piece will closely examine the indisputable obstacles and what will have to be done to overcome each of them.
In the past, many desktop Linux users have opted to simply point to the hardware industry or Microsoft as the root cause of a lack of mainstream adoption. In reality, there are actually core issues extending beyond hardware -- and competition from the proprietary markets -- that simply must be dealt with head on.
With that said, hardware compatibility and competition from closed-source vendors are valid issues, just not solid core excuses for the lack of mainstream interest. Here are the real hurdles:

You can read the full story here at *www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200803/pij_03_10_08a.html

I definitely agree with some of the points especially the one about Mobile devices >.< .

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I read the article. The problem is that manufacturers don't open up hardware routines to developers to write drivers, and don't provide the drivers themselves either.
The reason why I am still with OpenSuSE today is simply because of the ease of operation. One software I was not able to install was chm2pdf. Otherwise there is a fairly large collection of applications available for SuSE. If I were to point out one big minus..........it's a RAM hungry distro.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Er, but chm2pdf has only a limited amount of dependency, what problems did you face installing its python-based setup file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom