to buy or not to buy: galaxy nexus

bbyf16

Right off the assembly line
hi there guys, I was planning on buying the galaxy nexus (either directly from the us or through ebay.in)- unless anyone can suggest a cheap reputable place in ahmedabad.

Now, there is one main issue that is troubling me, that is the warranty. While I understand there is no warranty since the phone is not available in india, will samsung india still repair the phone if I pay money (if something should happen?) Also, if i buy through ebay.in, many sellers are offering a one year warranty (sellers), is that something that I can rely on if the phone has a problem?

The reason I want the galaxy nexus is purely because I can only afford to spend 25k and the galaxy nexus fits perfectly in that budget and because its pure android. I don't think buying a samsung s2 is a good idea because its a generation behind already and it costs more (26k) than the nexus. If you can suggest a phone that is better than the nexus for 25k or less, i'm willing to listen.

thanks for the help.

masterkd

Padawan
Seller's warranty=no warranty

I doubt samsung will repair it..as the phone is not available in india, probably they don't have spare parts..still, get in touch with samsung to check if they can repair it or not!!

aroraanant

Explorer
These guys offer 1yr seller warranty on their own basis because generally no problem occurs in a phone in the 1st year.
And if some major issue arises these guys(seller) won't repair the phone, and will tell you some or the other reason or you will be charge a hefty amount.
I think its totally useless to buy Nexus as you also not get any warranty on a phone on which you spend around 25k.
How about saving some of your bucks and get Xperia P for around 22k.
Or if you take my suggestion then I would suggest you to extend your budget and get Xperia S for 28k or Note for around 29.5k, or can get One X for 32.5k

D3LeT3

Broken In
I really wouldnt recommend buying the Galaxy Nexus. Its built by Samsung. And every Samsung phone (3- Jet, Galaxy 5, Ace ) I've bought plus one LCD monitor and had something wrong with it that needed repairing within the warranty period.Ive sold all but the monitor which hasnt given me a problem since the mobo replacement 15 days after purchase. I dunno if its just me but I would advise against buying a Samsung product without warranty.Besides as Aroraanant pointed out there are much better options available in the market today.When it launched 8 months ago the Nexus got a lot of attention but it's really not as groundbreaking as the then new ICS.
Also you'll get negligible resale value even if it performs well and you still decide to sell it. Go for a HTC built Sensation or even a Sony Xperia if u fancy the UI. They wont disappoint. PS: Avoid the Sola like the plague.

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
I was planning to buy Nexus from Ebay when one of my friend who is using Nexus, went to Samsung service center for repair. They said that they cannot take the set for repair as it is from outside.

He went to some local store to get the phone repair (mic was not working properly) and these guys were asking a bomb to get it repaired as they knew that they are the only hope

yashthedude

Gonna rock da whole world
I think You guys should increase your budget and get one of these phones:-

HTC ONE X or Samsung Galaxy S III

aroraanant

Explorer
S3 is too costly I think, with a help of some coupon also one can get it for for 36k and not less than that, and on the other side One X is available for 32.5k with the help of same coupon i.e. 3.5k less than S3.
And increasing budget from 25k to 36k is really difficult

yashthedude

Gonna rock da whole world
Thats the thing i told that to increase your budget and wait.

Coz quality matters first and then the price of it.

OP
B

bbyf16

as much as I would like to get the s3, I can't justify spending another 11k. I thought of getting the galaxy note but doesn't seem sensible considering the new update is coming out in sept/oct?

Basically my requirements are: reliable phone, best user interface with quick os updates (reason for nexus phones), should have nfc, front facing cam, very good pic quality with no shutter lag, preferably already on ICS, and a phone with worldwide warranty as I do travel a lot, and I think most importantly, it should be future proof for the next year (it should run apps with no lag or difficulty, should be able to multi-task, etc) with very good battery life (more than a day)

aroraanant

Explorer
See there is a new phone coming every now and then, so please don't that you are not considering note because a new one is coming after 3-4months.
If you want the best then One X is for you(S3 not recommended because One X has a better screen and also S3 has got ugly looks and S3 costs 3.5k+ more).
Or can buy Note for 29.5 or even Xperia S for 28k.
Well I can't say much about the new Xperia series as I haven't got hands on it, but it previous series was not that good, I can say that because I have compared Xperia Arc and my Incredible S very thoroughly and my Incredible S was much better than that and also lil cheaper.
So now its upto you, I have given my best suggestions to you.

benedict

galaxy nexus vs xperia p

which is better phone? nexus or xperia P and what abt the price of nexus in india?

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
Nexus hasn't been launched in India, one can get it from ebay for 25k and you won't get warranty also. And its pretty old also.
Xperia P looks good for 22k.

red dragon

Master troll
For your budget of 25k,Galaxy Nexus is probably the best option.
GS2 will stretch your budget to 26.5k.
I will suggest you not to buy htc.All of them have very poor battery(HOX included)
Pathetic sound quality(HOX included),more importantly a locked boot loader and relatively poor dev support.
I personally never care about warranty of mobile phones,because there is no cover for mechanical damage,liquid damage etc.
Most SW problems you can solve yourself and it is extremely difficult to hard brick the Nexus(unless you mess up the efs)
Just get it locally(as most mobile shops in metro cities have it in stock,despite no official release),check it cautiously before you buy.

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
I somewhat agree with you on some points bro.
I personally never care about warranty of mobile phones,because there is no cover for mechanical damage,liquid damage etc.
Most SW problems you can solve yourself and it is extremely difficult to hard brick the Nexus(unless you mess up the efs)
Just get it locally(as most mobile shops in metro cities have it in stock,despite no official release),check it cautiously before you buy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom