To all the experts out there , need upgrade help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatzisnem

Right off the assembly line
Hi! I'm looking to upgrade from My P4 1.7Ghz.( yes, i know its about time!!)
I've narrowed down my choices to the foll:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Socket 939)
Seagate 160 GB SATA HDD
a 400W smps ( up from 300w)
1GB (512MB*2) 400 MHz DDR ram.

Now , i'm quite clear about the above.
My trouble is with the motherboard choice.
I was thinking of a ASUS a8ne dlx mobo with a 6600 nongt card. However things went overbudget .Hence i need a mobo with decent onboard graphics , with a pcie slot for adding a good card later. It has also to be reasonably upgradable in terms of processor and ram. Am not a very serious gamer , but would like to play some of the more recent games. my needs are normally video processing ( from camcorder) , downloading large files and burning them onto DVD, etc
Also i have a resonably new 80Gb Pata HDD.Can i use it with a SATA HDD in the new system . Will the performance suffer ?
any idea about the ASROCK 939NF 4G mo bo ?
thank you all in advance.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You have 2 choices when it comes to Socket 939 mobo chipsets with onboard graphics with PCI-E x16 slot:
1. Radeon Xpress200 chipset
2. GeForce 6100/6150 chipset

Both are really good. If you decide on the Radeon chipset, you can get a MSI RS482M2-IL and if you want a GeForce 6100 chipset mobo, get a Asus A8N-VM. Don't consider buying Asrock. Stick to Asus and MSI mobo's.

Yes, you can use a PATA HDD along with a SATA HDD in the new system.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Just keep in mind that the ATI Chipset has SB400 as the southbridge and that is not exactly a good southbridge,worst to be specific.
ATI came out with SB450 for RD480 and RD580 chipsets but it was equally bad,they are working hard on SB600,lets hope its neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom