Time for Apple to face the music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
The shuffle does not suck. It's really compact, water-resistant (so you can sweat it out), has a long battery life, looks sleek and syncs with iTunes. Sure the Nano is better, but for where you need quick operations without looking, nothing beats the shuffle...

[if budget permits, go for nano]

kumarmohit

Technomancer
goobimama said:
The shuffle does not suck. It's really compact, water-resistant (so you can sweat it out), has a long battery life, looks sleek and syncs with iTunes. Sure the Nano is better, but for where you need quick operations without looking, nothing beats the shuffle...

[if budget permits, go for nano]

Wat does nano sync with?
Real player- LOL

I mean cmon goobi this is not a distinguishing feature for shuffle from other ipod products

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
goobimama said:
water-resistant
LOL! It is not water resistant, Milind.

What he (Milind) meant to say was that the shuffle has those cool features. Of course, other iPods have them too but he wasn't comparing it to them. He was making a case for the shuffle's not sucking. :p

goobimama

 Macboy
Well the new one is pretty much water resistant. Not dip-in-the-pool water resistant, but ride-in-the-rain water resistant.

ashfame

Padawan
i have never heard any ipod. one guy also told me about ipods that bass in nt that much good bt still m gonna luv it. can i have a idea of what i am going to have? (sound quality)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
ashfame said:
i have never heard any ipod. one guy also told me about ipods that bass in nt that much good bt still m gonna luv it. can i have a idea of what i am going to have? (sound quality)
Sound quality is pretty good. Out of 5, i'll give it 4 stars. But players from Cowon, iRiver and some Sony models offer better sound (5-star sound). An important factor, i.e. manual equaliser is not present in iPods. There are just presets. So you can't customize the sound to your preference. Among the current range of iPods, the iPod Classic is said to have the best sound compared to Touch, Nano and Shuffle.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Oh honestly! Who, except for the most geekiest of audiophiles, bother with the equaliser? Most people who change the equaliser from the defaults only end up making the music sound crappier.

This is just a classic case of wanting features just for the sake of having a lengthier spec list. Who cares for a custom equaliser!

What matters in a music player is the sound quality, battery life and user interface. The iPod shuffle excels in two of these departments (it does not have much of a user interface though) and the other iPods excel in all three. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Why doesn't it have an excellent user interface? You can operate the thing without even thinking where the buttons are (particularly useful if you are listening to music while going to sleep). You can even switch playlists with the 2G iPod. It doesn't always have to have a display.

[I'm defending the shuffle so much cause I might be getting one as a buffer between now and the iPhone... the touch is too tempting]

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Screen to hai nahin. Kya khaak ka user interface! :p

Translation: User interface, my foot! It doesn't even have a damn screen. :p

Why the Hell do you keep pouring the money out! Bahut jyaada ho gaya hai kya!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL! I think I need a translation for that sentence, which is just gibberish in its present form. :lol:

You need to work on your Hindi.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
aryayush said:
Oh honestly! Who, except for the most geekiest of audiophiles, bother with the equaliser? Most people who change the equaliser from the defaults only end up making the music sound crappier.

This is just a classic case of wanting features just for the sake of having a lengthier spec list. Who cares for a custom equaliser!

What matters in a music player is the sound quality, battery life and user interface. The iPod shuffle excels in two of these departments (it does not have much of a user interface though) and the other iPods excel in all three. :)
Just because you don't use manual equaliser, doesn't mean the rest of the world don't use it. Manual equaliser is not just a feature that fills up spec sheet, IT WORKS. It is important when you want to compensate for the lack or excess of a particular frequency. All audio devices and speakers don't have absolutely flat frequency output graphs. Some times the player, the amp or the speakers cannot faithfully reproduce the original signal or sometimes the original signal itself is not to your liking. This is when manual equaliser comes to you aid. You can reduce of boost the freqs to your taste. Most of the audio equipment, from the cheapest mp3 players to high-end sound systems have this feature. Manual equalisers are unnecessary only when one has almost perfect system or when one does not wish to alter the original sound. For most others manual equalisers prove to be a boon.

faraaz

Evil Genius
^ - +1

Even with my iPod, I can't listen to Techno music until I turn up the bass, preferably with settings like Dance or Club or something...iPods DO suck in that aspect as none of the settings are exactly what I want...

And arya, mp3 player without equaliser is like a car without wipers...

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
aryayush said:
That, IMHO, includes almost everyone. :)
Some times its the player itself which alters the original sound either by boosting certain frequencies (e.g. overpowering treble) or by cutting-off some freqs (e.g. low bass). In these situations, manual equalisers help to bring the sound back to the original by boosting or attenuating the freqs.

In my Walkman phone, the sound with the default headphones is pretty good, but lacks treble a bit. So i use the manual equaliser to boost the treble. And then the sound is nearly perfect. So you see, manual equalisers are actually useful. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
When did I say they weren't? I said, "Who, except for the most geekiest of audiophiles, bother with the equaliser?"

And that, my dear friend, is true. I, for one, have no clue what treble is or how to determine whether it is low or high and how to improve it. It all sounds the same to me. And most people out there are like me, not you. It is the same with high definition. I love HD because I can tell the difference between HD and DVD quality and I appreciate and value it. But most people don't.

Manual equaliser is useful. No doubt at all. But no one uses it (and by "no one", I mean that the people who do use it are not a significant number, which is also clearly evident by the sales of the iPod). :)

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
The sales of the iPod aren't an indication of anything. Most of the people only buy it because its "iPod" and not for any other reason. These people then also adapt themselves to live without manual equalisers, fm radio, recorder, etc. and are happy to be restricted to using iTunes alone. Most of them don't even know that iPods are made by Apple and for them mp3 player=iPod. iPod has become a phenomenon and most people buying it don't buy it because they like its features or because it suits their needs, but basically because its supposed to be 'cool' to have one and everybody else has it too. Not having one might result in your family disowning you or your friends stop recognizing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom