Thumbdata 3 eating up all my space

Ronnie012

Earthling
So my phone was showing space issues and hanging constantly. I tried uninstalling apps and stuff but still the space issue continued.

I finally found out that one file is eating up all the space.

File is named Thumbdata3 under DCIM folder.

It is currently consuming 4.15gb of my available 4.39 gb

I tried deleting it but it reappeared in bigger size.

How do i remove it and get my space back?

Mobile Asus ZenFone 5

Os KitKat

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
So my phone was showing space issues and hanging constantly. I tried uninstalling apps and stuff but still the space issue continued.

How are you trying to remove it? Try to use sd maid or ccleaner.

Also delete the hidden .thumbnails folder inside the DCIM folder.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
How are you trying to remove it? Try to use sd maid or ccleaner.

Also delete the hidden .thumbnails folder inside the DCIM folder.

i have tried using ccleaner,clean sdcard, sdcardcleaner..

Also tried deleting hidden .thumbnails folder under Dcim

Minion

Conversation Architect

Mobile Asus ZenFone 5

Os KitKat

They are generated to show previews of photos in gallery.You can delete that folder then move your photos to laptop/PC else it will again generated.

OP
Ronnie012

Ronnie012

Earthling
They are generated to show previews of photos in gallery.You can delete that folder then move your photos to laptop/PC else it will again generated.

Thanks. Already tried doing that. Deleting the file changes nothing. The file gets deleted but space consumed remains same. For example If I deleted thumbdata 3 (consuming 4 gb) it'll get deleted. But that 4 gb space will still be there thereby negating the effect of deletion.

I also tried copying that Thumbdata 3 file name, deleting the original and replacing with the duplicate. Also tried using a root file explorer and deleting that thumbdata 3 file but effect is nothing.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Thanks. Already tried doing that. Deleting the file changes nothing. The file gets deleted but space consumed remains same. For example If I deleted thumbdata 3 (consuming 4 gb) it'll get deleted. But that 4 gb space will still be there thereby negating the effect of deletion.

I also tried copying that Thumbdata 3 file name, deleting the original and replacing with the duplicate. Also tried using a root file explorer and deleting that thumbdata 3 file but effect is nothing.

Use sd maid for once and post the results here.

Minion

Conversation Architect

Take backup of important files factory reset your phone.

Top Bottom