Thinking about buying a Flash

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
I was thinking about buying an external flash.
Budget upto 10K (cheaper is better if it fulfills my need)
Usage: Casual enthusiast use at weddings, along with softbox for portraits. Will be used in junction with D3300

sujoyp

Grand Master
Or u can consider nissin..
Or as compatible u can sb600

- - - Updated - - -

If u r getting yugnuo then get the one with wireless trigger integrated.. May be 560mkiii

OP
marvelousprashant

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Nissin Di600 and Di466ii both have iTTL and compatible with D3300 (9.5K and 7.5K respectively)

YN-468II has ttl but doesn't work with D3300
YN-560 iii/iv - no ttl.

My main use is shooting portraits so suggest a suitable one maybe even in lower price bracket if it suits my needs?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nissin is much more reliable then yuognuo ...and more famous too

Prashant belive me I never use TTL ...its of no use...I like to control the light myself ..thats the reason we are using DSLR ..right :D

raja manuel

In the zone
I never use TTL ...its of no use...
I take it you don't cover many events with lots of activity and highly variable lighting conditions. I'm know for my portraits in such situations, and that is possible only because I use TTL - if I kept stopping to adjust the speedlite I would miss the moment.

OP
marvelousprashant

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
More confusion.

[STRIKE]Nissin di466 doesn't have full rotation of head which is very useful. So dropping it. [/STRIKE]

Di600 - powerful, ttl, 2yrs warranty, costs 10K
YN-560III - no TTL, most powerful,no warranty, costs 7k

More inclined towards di600 till now.

Any other brands that i should consider?

About Di466, would it be sufficient (GN33) as a bounce flash for portraits?

Last edited:

Darth Vader

In the zone
Amazon.com : Altura Photo Flash Kit for NIKON DSLR D7100 D7000 D5300 D5200 D5100 D5000 D3300 D3200 D3100 - Includes: Altura Photo I-TTL Auto-Focus Dedicated Speedlite Flash + Wireless Camera Flash Trigger and Camera Remote Control Function + Cable-M
Altura Photo Flash Kit
No experience but heard they are compatible with D3300/5300.

OP
marvelousprashant

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Edit 2: I dont think TTL is extremely necessary for me as I don't shoot at weddings etc. which require to capture the moment.

So why pay extra bucks for Nissin Di600. YN560IV (7.4K) should be good enough?

Sujoy made me skeptic about Yongnuo quality but he himself is using one. I have only read good reviews about it so far

justgothere

Broken In
Two points that should be considered. First nikon flashes are easily repairable and fetch great value at the time of resale. So the initial premium often justifies itself.

Darth Vader

In the zone
Two points that should be considered. First nikon flashes are easily repairable and fetch great value at the time of resale. So the initial premium often justifies itself.
This is always true.

But if you really tight on budget and don't need i-TTL(D3300/5300) get any cheap yongnuo flash with Eneloop batteries.

raja manuel

In the zone
but then y not keep the whole DSLR in auto mode...its true for every situations
Exactly. DSLRs have a variety of different modes and features to cover various situations and needs. Saying that a particular feature is of no use suggests that you don't explore a variety of shooting conditions.
If I were to extend your 'why we use a DSLR' argument, I would end up saying that, (just to pick one feature at random) shutter priority is a useless feature because we are DSLR users and we should always choose our settings. Now where does that leave the top of the line 1D and D1 series that are known for their shutter priority modes and favoured by sports and news photographers? Do we now say that they are not 'real' photographers in line with our discussion in another thread?

sujoyp

Grand Master
:D ok I understood...but still as I said I have the TTL flash from last 3 years now and havent used TTL for more then 10 times ....its not accurate...maybe yougnuo metering is not as good as nikon's

I was saying about reliability when I preffred Nissin ...its like you can not afford a Sony so you buy a samsung...but u can get all features in micromax just bit unreliable

My yougnuo worked fine till now...now its having bit issues...but 3 years is long time :)

OP
marvelousprashant

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Have made up my mind. Will order Nissin di600 tomorrow. Would have ordered today but Ebay seller is not picking up my call

- - - Updated - - -

Have made up my mind. Will order Nissin di600 tomorrow. Would have ordered today but Ebay seller is not picking up my call. I think 2K extra will be worth it for added reliability + 2yr warranty + iTTL if i ever need it :)

nac

Aspiring Novelist
iTTL if i ever need it :)
Good decision. Wanted to say this, but I don't know anything about flash accessories. Though I have read things, when I read your thread I didn't even know what an i TTL could do which non i TTL couldn't. :D Paying little more for something better and reliable is a good decision.

sujoyp

Grand Master
good prashant :)
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] there is a whole lot of things regarding flash...lot of theory to study :D

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes inci they work great ...untill u r in middle of something imp and it do not flash ...it happened with me as well as one of my professional photographer ;)

Top Bottom