ThinkDigit Site Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
@Tuxfan

I had read ur post, but still I won't disclose anything more than I have already disclosed.

You know the sections for punishment but you are missing on something basic. Think again and you will realize the funda down there.

And I welcome Mr. D and Mr. P to post their opinions, if you can bring them to discuss this issue. If I getting free legal advice from top-notch officials, I welcome it.

All I can say right now is that your situation is like: "Thinking about Theory of Relativity but don't understand Newton's First Law" ;). Get the hint and exercise your brain cells dude! Just take care that you don't waste Mr. D's and Mr. P's precious time for this issue.

To everybody, please don't talk about legal clauses until you are a competent IT lawyer. Even though you may have studied IT law, if you feel that you can prosecute me successfully, you should re-consider the case. Please, this is a request because I doubt how accurate is the legal advice given here and I don't want to go on telling everybody that I have an exit door. Again, please. I appreciate your concern but since this is a legal matter, I will discourage people from posting legal advice if they are not qualified.

:lol: i have never seen some one so hell bent on taking a white hat's case :lol:
But I can see something more deep down there ;)

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
I really appreciate (again) what Rohan done. All these shows hes a very nice person who never do anything un-ethical - which is not very common these days. I am very proud hes a member of ThinkDigit forum, also very happy hes my (our) friend.

I think we need not worry too much on him !

First - ThinkDigit officially announced that they will never take any measures against him. They are very glad he didn't misuse the info, they are thankful to him .

Second - Rohan agreed that he will take precautions in future, he already know the loopholes of legal aspects, he is pretty sure he will not get in trouble and he know more on the legal side. As he is very confident in this matter, I think we need not worry on that.

Third - He might have his own (may be personal too) reasons not to disclose much info on the hacking as well as the legal side. I think we should support him and respect his decision. He already provided the details which he can reveal, I mean what sort of exploit was it, how it was vulnerable etc. People who are really interested can learn more about this from various sites, can ask him in direct but I think we should not force him to reveal everything in public. That does not sound good.

Personal suggestion to Rohan - Please feel free to fully ignore if you do not like.

I know you will be busy with teaching etc, but please continue on this. Learn more about the vulnerabilities, exploits, how we can keep sites secure, what are the ways hackers use and related matters. Just as a hobbyist (as your site names). I am sure it will be interesting as well as useful. It will benefit you and a lot of other people who own websites.

Once again - Hearty Congrats from my side.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
To everybody, please don't talk about legal clauses until you are a competent IT lawyer. Even though you may have studied IT law, if you feel that you can prosecute me successfully, you should re-consider the case. Please, this is a request because I doubt how accurate is the legal advice given here and I don't want to go on telling everybody that I have an exit door. Again, please. I appreciate your concern but since this is a legal matter, I will discourage people from posting legal advice if they are not qualified.
I'm sure you don't want to indulge in a discussion about IT Law with Tuxfan. Don't underestimate anyone :)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i don't seem to understand what is the problem here :?

raaabo has explicitly said that 9dot9 is not considering prosecuting rohan, end of discussion, why do we have to get into a verbal duel

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
As much as I appreciate what you did I think Im missing what you are talking about and likewise you are missing what tuxfan is talking about. However I do love the fact that some of the premier Software Devlopment Institutes had their rear handed to them.

You know the sections for punishment but you are missing on something basic. Think again and you will realize the funda down there.

The IT Act is as clear as it can be. Further more when it comes to CyberLaws it states clearly and I quote that when you gain access to a "protected system" it constitues hacking. In the eyes of the law there is no such differentiation between white hat or black hat. If there is something funda here that I'm missing then I'm sorry but I fail to miss your point.

All I can say right now is that your situation is like: "Thinking about Theory of Relativity but don't understand Newton's First Law" . Get the hint and exercise your brain cells dude! Just take care that you don't waste Mr. D's and Mr. P's precious time for this issue.

I found this a bit insulting :(. I believe my brain cells are working pretty fine and I think so is tuxfan's. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand simple law. I quoted the section of the law for the threads benefit. What I was hoping for was a loophole in the law which I could probably refer and quote in my assignment or two . There is a fine line between attitude and discussion . Tread carefully :).

@din and @iMav : Im pretty sure that tuxfan didn't have some kind of an agenda to prosecute Rohan over a website which the owners had no problem with. But was rather hoping for whatever "the funda" was which would trump the IT Act. Well at least thats what I was looking for.

Oh By the way @tuxfan: The Law gets thrown out if the Authorized Personnel of the website just state that he was allowed to do so in the first place :) .

praka123

left this forum longback
what if Rohan had already joined 9.9? J/K :D then it became a administer's test of his system :D ??

din

Tribal Boy
@FilledVoid

Sorry for the confusion. I am no way against the views of Tuxfan. Actually I know him for quite a long time. What he meant is, this is kinda hacking and it may put Rohan in trouble. But Rohan prefer not to disclose much on the hacking or on the legal side, so I was just suggesting we should not force him. That is the point I made.

I do not know what Rohan has in mind (I mean the legal aspect), I know Tuxfan is an expert in this area too, I was just suggesting, we should not go too much in to this topic as Rohan do not want to disclose much on it. I was thinking like its his decision, so we should respect it. Thats all.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I found this a bit insulting :(.
I am dropping a hint. YOU need not feel insulted or offended.

I'm sure you don't want to indulge in a discussion about IT Law with Tuxfan. Don't underestimate anyone :)
I am not underestimating anybody, but sometimes people need more time to realize something.

Whatever you say, something is crystal clear, which he missing. I don'y know who Tuxfan is, whether is an IT enthusiast, professional lawyer, or anybody related to this field. But I can makeout that he is clearly missing out on something.

He may be a competent lawyer(I assume this from ur statement) but still he needs to examine the case carefully before putting the clauses. If he will spend some more time on it, things will be clear to him. He has actually struck at a point.

I just googled if addon doamins are bad for SEO and found these. I am also using a addon subdomain but since this is the first time I am doing this, I too have hardly and experience .

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Rohan, relax man, i think i speak for everyone when i say that i appreciate that you did not do anything wrong with the site. We are just concerned that if you do that to another site, and the site owners decide to take some action, you should not be in trouble. That's all. We are not just taking this particular incident into consideration, but are speaking generally :)

P.S. Im in no way qualified to argue with you on the IT laws, but if you have some qualified people on this forum itself, why not discuss this with them (maybe via PM, if you dont want to discuss publically) so that if you are wrong, you would be more carefull next time, and if they are wrong, they can learn from this "case study". Ofcourse, this is just my *suggestion*. You are free not to take it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom