ThinkDigit Chefs

crush and make maggi
let it cool a bit
cut the edges off a bread
put some maggi at one edge of the bread
roll and make a joint(lol)
eat, and enjoy!!!
also, put a bit of ketchup on it for added yum.

this is for those rare times when there is only one maggi packet left and you and your hungry sibling are fighting it out for the honor of nomming that delicious bowl of noodles.
it will end both your hunger pangs

Wow,nice recipe and quite easy. I'll try it out.
Thanks. :)

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I can cook rice.

Take a cup of rice in a pressure cooker.. add 2 cups of water to it. Close the lid. Let 2 whistles blow. Wait for the pressure to be absorbed. And Ta-Da.

Hot n Sour Sauce Extravaganza...

Presenting MetalheadGautham's Kitchen Special

The Do Everything Trick with Chinese Food - Hot n Sour Sauce

Here is something which can act as the mother dish to cook a lot of different types of items. Its the Hot n Sour Sauce. And surprisingly, its really easy to make.

Note that the vegetables are not all compulsory. You just use what you find at home.

And sauce materials are not exact quantity. You may often end up adding more of different sauces to change the composition and feel of the sauce.

Vegetables:

Cauliflower (chopped into tiny bits, 2 cups)
Carrots (tiny squares, 2 cups)
Beans (chopped, 2 cups)
Capsicum (chopped, 1 cup)
Sweet Corn (2-3 cups - get the easy to use packet from reliance fresh its already separated from the cob)
Onions (chopped, 2.5 cups)
Cabbage (chopped, 2 cups)
Mushroom (chopped, 2 cups)
Spring Onion (chopped, for garnishing don't cook)

Sauce Materials:

Garlic (5-7 cloves, chopped)
Ginger Garlic Paste (a tablespoon, can be substituted for above)
Soya Sauce (use as needed I use a table spoon or two)
Red Chilli Sauce (green will also do - use as needed constant tasting helps)
Tomato Sauce (1 cup will do most of the time)
Refined Vegetable Oil - 1 tablespoon
Corn Flour - 2 table spoon nicely dissolved in 1 cup of luke warm water
Vinegar (2 table spoons)
Sugar (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
Red Chilli Powder (optional emergency item)

Vegetable Preparation:

Take sweet corn. Put it into a microwave bowl and add water and a teaspoon of salt. In max of your oven, microwave it for 7 minutes.

Take a microwave safe bowl (preferably the glass type) and grease its bottom with a couple of tablespoons of refined vegetable oil. Add onions and microwave for 2 minutes.

Now add remaining vegetables, the sweet corn, a pinch of salt to taste, a few teaspoons of oil and mix everything together nicely. Microwave for another 7-9 minutes.

Now add mushroom and microwave for another 1 minute.

Vegetables are ready.

Sauce Preparation:

Add oil to a huge kadai and wait for it to heat. Add garlic and let the garlic fry.

Now add the sauces while stirring constantly and a couple of glasses of water. Add the cornflour while ensuring that no chunks or blocks of the sauce form. Stir constantly and get a thick sauce. Dilute as required.

And add salt to taste and also some sugar/jaggary if that's your kind of thing. If spiciness is not enough and chilli sauce is already too much, you may cheat by adding the humble red chilli powder. A pinch of ajinomoto also helps but I like avoiding it.

Key to getting good sauce is at this stage itself carefully taste the sauce. It should be just right, and the "just right" is something which varies from individual to individual. You may increase the sourness by adding soya sauce or vinegar. Increase sweetness by adding sugar/jaggery. Increase tanginess by adding tomato sauce. Increase hotness by adding chilli sauce or red chilli powder. Mix and match and experiment with making this to get optimum result. I suggest you make only the sauce and try to get good tasting sauce.

Once sauce seems tasty enough, add the vegetables. Mix the whole thing and let the flavour set into the veggies.

Congratulations! You are done with hot and sour sauce

The above is base ingredient for a lot of recipes. Oh and what happened to the spring onions you ask ? You sprinkle them just before serving any dish based off the hot and sour sauce.

Hot n Sour Soup

The most obvious derivative. To get this, dilute the sauce a bit to reach soupy levels of dilutions. Add more sauces to balance the taste as I had told before. Serve with spring onions on top.

Veg Macaroni

You get Rs. 15/- packets of macaroni. These can be easily made in hot n sour style. Just add macaroni to microwave safe bowl. Dilute sauce 1:1 with water and add it to the macaroni along with some more salt for the macaroni. Mix and microwave for 5 minutes or longer if you have more liquid content. Stir this and you get delicious saucy macaroni. Idea here is you cook macaroni in the sauce, so it absorbs everything really well. You may want to add bit more tomato sauce to add to tanginess sometimes.

Chop Suey

Buy normal noodles. Normal meaning not the instant garbage that we've been spoilt with. These are white in color. Add them to microwave safe bowl, add water and a teaspoon of salt and microwave for 5 mins. Rinse, drain the water, and grease the bowl with oil and add the noodles. Add more oil and a pinch of salt and toss things around with your hand to ensure that noodles is covered in thin layer of oil. Microwave for 5 more minutes (sometimes even 3 will do if its dry enough). Transfer noodles to a plate and cover it with sauce you prepared.

Soya Byte "manchurian"

You get these in most supermarkets. While not too tasty, these are high in protein and healthy. And rather cheap. Cooking these is simple. Take microwave bowl, add soya bytes and sauce as needed. A little bit of water if you wish. Microwave for 5 minutes. You just prepared healthy soya byte "manchurian". Manchurian in quotes because its not exactly manchurian.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There are not much instances where I felt the need to cook for myself. But if I ever do in the future, I will refer to this thread. Thanks for so many recipies guys!
Can't wait to try some of them sometime.

^Try to make one again. And use Britannia Cheese slices(or similar) this time. You will succeed. :D

[offtopic]
I remember that episode well. Learning French overnight FTW!. :D
[/offtopic]

Very much alive,,: P
my mom asks the same question..
iam great..

Ontopic : so can any of u guys cook "Biryani" ??

Sort of. Biryani as in the vegetarian type.

Its easy only if do the mixing part with less rice. Otherwise your biryani will end up looking like khichdi :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Ok, I can cook.

Things I can cook (with confidence)
Egg: Omlette, Poach, burji, Curry
Fish: normal curry, kalia, with mustard paste (hilsha only)
Chicken: 3 kind of preparation (ingredient wise)
Chutney (Bengali style): Pineapple.
Dal: Chana (mainly taken with puri)
Curry: Potato curry.
Maggi: Egg-maggi

abhidev

Human Spambot
One more way to make Omlette du formage is...atleast the way i do is...

take 2 eggs in a bowl...add little milk...stir it thoroughly

Take a frying pan...add butter as per your requirement...add the egg solution...stir it a little with the butter just to make sure that the butter is not only at the bottom part of the egg

Take cheese slices,cubes...make small pieces and place them on one of half of the omlette...fold the omlette halfway covering the cheese pieces...then flip the omlette on the other side just as to melt the cheese inside the fold. Serve with tomata ketchup

I think he is asking about hyderabadi biryani...mhg u a veggie i guess?

Yup me veggie. But its not hard to convert between veggie and non veggie dishes. Basic idea remains the same. I once followed the recipe online for Hydrabadi Biryani, made small modifications and reduced the spices and converted to veg. Food is food :-D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
A few days back I maded such bad Chowmein I hope no one is able to make it.
*p.twimg.com/Ambo0S5CMAMKxbh.jpg

helion

Broken In
Fried noodles:

1. Take the cake of maggi and put it in the microwave oven in a series of 30s to brown the entire thing well. Shallow frying will also work nicely in this, in case there is no microwave. Convection microwave is the best.
2. Then cook maggi as usual.
3. Eat well. :lol:

Top Bottom