Thermal Paste Problem

koolent

Youngling
Hi,

I cleaned my computer and dissembled the CPU and the cooling fan and I removed the paste (in solid form) from over the CPU and reassembled the whole system. It worked for me..

But when my friend did the same in front of me It was like the computer started normally and when it came to loading Windows 7 Ultimate.. It did shut off..

It was like 3 Mins when this happened..

Please tell me what to do.. I think this is due to overheating but I did apply the cooling system carefully..

Note: I did removed the paste from the processor but not from the metal heat sink.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Remove the heatsink. Clean the old thermal compund by using Isopropyl alcohol - both from the processor and heatink.

Buy a new TIM tube. example, CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400.

Put a small pea sized dot of TIM on the processor. Put on the heatsink.

You and your friend, both should do the same. May be in your case, you still had decent amount of TIM remaining on the heatsink. So, it worked fine for you. Your friend didn't have, it isn't working fine for him.

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
Remove the heatsink. Clean the old thermal compund by using Isopropyl alcohol - both from the processor and heatink.

Buy a new TIM tube. example, CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400.

Put a small pea sized dot of TIM on the processor. Put on the heatsink.

You and your friend, both should do the same. May be in your case, you still had decent amount of TIM remaining on the heatsink. So, it worked fine for you. Your friend didn't have, it isn't working fine for him.

Which is a good one under rs. 400 to buy ?

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
Where to buy artic silver 5 at Rs380. Cant find it anywhere less than Rs550/- delhi-bombay.-S And primeabgb(what a douche) sux they sent me half used bottle of articlean, will never buy anything from them ever.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ AS5 is electro conductive - So I think you better get CM TF 400 which is non electro conductive ( priced around 500 bucks ) - performance wise there's only 1/2c temp difference between them but CM TF 400 is safe to use ;-)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
electrically conductive Tims are not harmful to the processor die ( the heat spreader area ) itself but other parts on the processor or motherboard can be at risk if they become contaminated by the compound. For this reason it's not not recommend to use electrically conductive thermal interface material.

Top Bottom