The Valve Console!

cyborg47

Technomancer
"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell noted to Kotaku. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments. We'll do it but we also think other people will as well."

The Valve head did note that their console would not be as open as the average computer: "Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment. If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room. The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

Source - Valve will release PC/console next year - AfterDawn

gameranand

Living to Play
Looks like Microsoft is worried because of this
As Valve confirms the Steam Box, Microsoft's Phil Harrison issues a warning

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
uh oh.. if HF3 is Steambox exclusive only [which i dont think will be], valve is in for a serious kickback from the community..

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
Well if you have read Gabe's recent interview you will see that he wants to take an open approach to Steam Box. They won't even be the exclusive hardware manufacturers. Best of all, it will lauch with Linux, but won't disallow people from installing Windows.
Valve's Gabe Newell on Steam Box and the "giant sadness" of Windows 8 | News | PC Gamer

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Gabe Newell: PC and TV gaming the same

Honestly, i always thought like this guy about this context.

Valve is kind of merging consoles and pc into one device.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i need a kb/mouse for gaming with the console... switiching b/w controllers and kb/mouse is too damn difficult and takes lots of time to settle in on the controller..

Top Bottom