The ultimate shootout: Apple Mac OS X vs. Microsoft Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I really don't mind this. how is the option available different from the one in Linux again? And how sure are you that you can't install a Linux program anywhere else?
i prefer to drag an application as compared to open terminal and type redundant codes :)

heres a look at the installation procedures of the 3:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=678243&postcount=19
And from a common person's view, how much does the location of an application concern him ? Even better .
iv seen more people changing installation directory than iv seen using linux ;)
When you install Windows and your applications do you get to choose the location of where you Solitaire program goes cause I want to install it in f:\dont\be\unreasonable folder?
damn look at this guys sheer desparation he has started making absolutely stupid comments :lol: solitaire does solitaire come with its own installer ... dude wen ur talking atleast make sure u dont make a fool out of urself with such statements .... solitaire :lol:

a hackintosh is no different from mac as far as the os goes;using os x on pc - its pretty much like using a pirated windows copy go to apple.com and then update ur machine is screwed thats it other than that theres no difference and some hardware that doesnt work thats it

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
Macintosh guys can't talk about linux because each party serves an entirely different audience.
And what audience does Linux serve might I ask? The Mac serves the consumer desktop market, and professional market. I don't think there are many mac servers or macs used in render farms and such.

For the reference, i rip with FLAC/WavPack for archival perposes, and MusePack for playback. Vorbis, Nero AAC are occasionally used. But MP3 only for my DVD Player(need to up bitrate to ABR 256 kbps to match 180kbps musepack or vorbis, but DVD has 4.3 gig space, and is swapable, so no loss felt.)
See what I'm talking about? With iTunes, you just pop in your CD and it's ripped in either AAC, MP3 or lossless. No more fuss. You might prefer it that way, but aunt Rita and uncle Bobby have no clue as to what those are. To them iTunes is as simple and easy as it gets.

When you install Windows and your applications do you get to choose the location of where you Solitaire program goes cause I want to install it in f:\dont\be\unreasonable folder?
Cracks me up!

Last edited:
And what audience does Linux serve might I ask? The Mac serves the consumer desktop market, and professional market. I don't think there are many mac servers or macs used in render farms and such.
Linux is mainly for the geek market. Meaning professional(Maya, Servers) and enthusiast(hacker, geek, intelligentia, etc) and also some hardcore gaming clans use them(linux games like UT3, etc are prettier in linux than in windows)
See what I'm talking about? With iTunes, you just pop in your CD and it's ripped in either AAC, MP3 or lossless. No more fuss. You might prefer it that way, but aunt Rita and uncle Bobby have no clue as to what those are. To them iTunes is as simple and easy as it gets.
Linux is not for aunt Rita and uncle Bobby. See above. Its for cousin Gautham, uncle Anirudh and grandpa Prakash.
Cracks me up!
+1
But seriously, it is very much possible to change location of a linux program too, only if, as even iMav says, it comes with an installer that does it. Else you have commandline to do that.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Since you took the time to adress what I posted Ill address you back.

i prefer to drag an application as compared to open terminal and type redundant codes

heres a look at the installation procedures of the 3:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show...3&postcount=19

I usually use Synaptic, It installs the applications I need with the dependencies . If you'd like to shorten the process you could use the Add program option in the menu. I don't even recall what you wanted to try installing in the first place. Maybe it was an application that didn't come by default.

damn look at this guys sheer desparation he has started making absolutely stupid comments solitaire does solitaire come with its own installer ... dude wen ur talking atleast make sure u dont make a fool out of urself with such statements .... solitaire

Desperation? If thats the best you can do your at best small fry for me. Look in the below picture since you have infinite knowledge of WIndows please explain to my noobish self on how I select a install location to the same place in the below picture.

*img146.imageshack.us/img146/8932/solitairelq0.png

If there is I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
And from a common person's view, how much does the location of an application concern him ? Even better .

And for the Love of God which leads me to my original statement.

So does this uphold then ?

damn look at this guys sheer desparation he has started making absolutely stupid comments solitaire does solitaire come with its own installer ... dude wen ur talking atleast make sure u dont make a fool out of urself with such statements .... solitaire

None of the aplpications or at least the ones in my Windows menu offer me a location to place them where I want. So Please show me iMav where you obviously do this. I'm a person who doesn't know much about technology. Why don't for once you drop the Elitist attitude and act your age. Im assuming your at least in College or probably working. And to goobimama to be frank I wouldn't but from someones post he needs the choice of doing so or otherwise it seems to be that that software needs to face some form of capital punishment.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I usually use Synaptic, It installs the applications I need with the dependencies . If you'd like to shorten the process you could use the Add program option in the menu. I don't even recall what you wanted to try installing in the first place. Maybe it was an application that didn't come by default.
the last time i checked synaptic was not a part of all linux distros - corect me if im wrong is it :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Desperation? If thats the best you can do your at best small fry for me. Look in the below picture since you have infinite knowledge of WIndows please explain to my noobish self on how I select a install location to the same place in the below picture.

*img146.imageshack.us/img146/8932/solitairelq0.png

If there is I sincerely apologize for any misunderstanding.
did u even read what i said does solitaire come with its installer :? dude next u will say i want to change the location of shell32 folder :? talk sense man talk sense solitaire is a part of the windows installation and not a separate 3rd party software ... jeez man wtf!!! any software even those from microsoft that come with their own installer allow u to change location. please tell me can i change the location xorg.conf and place anywhere i want to or for that matter during linux installation can i change the default location of the stuff that is installed with the OS ....

dude u know what ur making a fool out of urself by making the statements ur making please first understand wht the discussion is who is saying what then make statements ;)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
did u even read what i said does solitaire come with its installer
WHERE?!?!?! Where is this installer in my Windows XP CD Please point it out.

dude next u will say i want to change the location of shell32 folder talk sense man talk sense solitaire is a part of the windows installation and not a separate 3rd party software ...

No I dont want you to change the shell , any of the locaitons of the system files , registry stuff nada.... Just the location of the applications in your Add remove program interface. .

jeez man wtf!!!
You're limited vocabulary amazes me . Try again maybe you might come up with something creative. Oh wait it seems you lack that portion in your brain.

any software even those from microsoft that come with their own installer allow u to change location.

Did you even take the time to read my earlier posts. Obviously not. Ill post it for your reference AGAIN.

please tell me can i change the location xorg.conf and place anywhere i want to or for that matter during linux installation can i change the default location of the stuff that is installed with the OS ....

No I doubt you can. I don't recall asking you to move System32 to any dll files that you use in Windows. Only the applications that get installed with it by default.

dude u know what ur making a fool out of urself by making the statements ur making please first understand wht the discussion is who is saying what then make statements

To be frank I know what the discussion is about and hence only responding to the posts made to me. The question is are you educated enough to answer and understand plain English or would you ike me to try to explain it as I would to a 5 year old. As I said I'm no whizkid when it comes to technology. So unless you can prove what you have your points are moot and just portrays your ignorance. All I did is ask a question to which I ask you again with a clear picture for you. Where is the installer that I can find on my CD ???? Or the place in the menu that i can locate it on my install.

Its give respect and take respect. If you choose to speak to me like you did above I'll address you the same way. I hope you understand.

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ Dude! Can't you understand iMav-English? He said that there isn't any installer for Solitaire! (If it makes you feel better, OS X has a solitaire version which you can stuff in any directory you feel like :) )

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
o damn man this guy is unbelievable goobi arya where are u jeshtha metalhead please post i cant reply to this guy anymore

dude simple terms pleaes understand:

Solitaire is a part of windows installation; windows installs n c: and then installs all its components where they have been programmed to be installed; same is the case with os x same is the case with any unix distro. pleaes read carefully again no wait befroe proceeding read the previous again. Windows/linux/mos x installation installs OS components according to the OS developer; components that are to go into library folder in linuxgo into library folder.

now the discussion is about software that is obtained from 3rd party providers not the 1 that is installed with the OS because that goes where the developer wants it to. solitaire is not read again not and again not a standalone installer and therefore does not have the option to change the location it is a part of the windows OS isntallation and therefore is installed where it has been programmed to

if u understand good

PS: goobi;arya;grudgy;metalhead;infra;praka;cyrus any 1 but him please post

address me the way u want to but please dont make a fool out urself by making stupid statements u wanna talk talk sense call me wat u want to as long as ur talking sense and not just making stupid comments like - can i change the location of solitaire no 1 can change the location of the components that are part of the OS installation be it any OS

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Originally Posted by exx_2000

This is what iMav posted in response to what I said

If he meant that it doesnt come with its own installer then fine. Its hard to understand iMav-English I guess I never had the chance to learn that.

goobimama

 Macboy
Dude. It's so clear that he has inserted the word solitaire randomly. Weed those out and you will find that he clearly mentions that Solitaire doesn't come with an installer. You know, I don't really consider iMav to be a very smart person, but you do make him look like the genius around here (No offence iMav ;) )

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Finally.

Solitaire is a part of windows installation; windows installs n c: and then installs all its components where they have been programmed to be installed; same is the case with os x same is the case with any unix distro. pleaes read carefully again no wait befroe proceeding read the previous again. Windows/linux/mos x installation installs OS components according to the OS developer; components that are to go into library folder in linuxgo into library folder.

Thank you. So since you believe that components should go where they are supposed to then all is fine. Cause Im going to say that the Linux components all belong in the right place.

now the discussion is about software that is obtained from 3rd party providers not the 1 that is installed with the OS because that goes where the developer wants it to. solitaire is not read again not and again not a standalone installer and therefore does not have the option to change the location it is a part of the windows OS isntallation and therefore is installed where it has been programmed to

Where in anything I said shows that I referred to third party applications.

Here is what i said.
Um I'm lost. What in the world are we talking about? I know that you could do all of the above. My point was that on a default install most distros provide applications for the common folk (that too free). Windows doesn't come with squat.

Im not talking about Third party applications Im talking about applications that came on the OS by DEFAULT.

Dude. It's so clear that he has inserted the word solitaire randomly. Weed those out and you will find that he clearly mentions that Solitaire doesn't come with an installer. You know, I don't really consider iMav to be a very smart person, but you do make him look like the genius around here (No offence iMav )

I'll guess weeding out words work . However I guess that if you weed out the wrong Solitaire word it sort of backfires :x.Especially with the lack of punctuation.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Dude. It's so clear that he has inserted the word solitaire randomly. Weed those out and you will find that he clearly mentions that Solitaire doesn't come with an installer.
:D
You know, I don't really consider iMav to be a very smart person, but you do make him look like the genius around here (No offence iMav ;) )
none taken :D im happy pwning mac boys :twisted: as long as they call me *dumb* i know i aint that dumb ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom