The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a book of children's stories which is mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. After the publication of Deathly Hallows, Rowling authored and published a limited edition of a work of the same name, purportedly the same storybook as portrayed in Deathly Hallows; a copy of this work fetched for £1.95 million at the auction

Only seven copies of the book have been created, all hand written and illustrated by Rowling. Each copy is leather-bound and decorated in silver and semi-precious stones. One copy of the book, the "moonstone edition",[6] was auctioned by Sotheby's on 13 December 2007 to raise money for The Children's Voice, a charity that helps vulnerable children across Europe. Although it was expected to make just £50,000 the book was purchased for a hammer price of £1,950,000 by London fine art dealers Hazlitt Gooden and Fox[7][8] on behalf of Amazon.com.[9] The other copies of the book have been given away as gifts.
Stories

• "The Tale of the Three Brothers"
  • "The Fountain of Fair Fortune"
  • "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot"
  • "Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump"
  • "The Warlock's Hairy Heart"
READ MORE

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
I'd surely like to get my hands on it, Sadly it wont be published :|

(And Yeh, Stop copy-pasting Wikipedia Content! @Harry Potter-> You've even posted the Citations! [noparse]d:)[/noparse]

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
THIS IS NOT A BUMP! READ ON!

@The Conqueror, you got your wish!
Source:(CNN News)*edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/12/04/rowling.book.launch.ap/index.html

Harry Potter fans flock for new J.K. Rowling book

LONDON, England (AP) -- Recession-hit booksellers are hoping for a magical boost from a new book by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling.

"The Tales of Beedle the Bard," a collection of five fables mentioned in Rowling's saga about the boy wizard, is being published around the world Thursday with only a fraction of the carnival-like fanfare that greeted the Potter novels.

But expectations are high for the new book, which has a global print run of 8 million copies.

"We expect it will crash straight in at No. 1 in our book charts," Jon Howells, of Britain's Waterstone's book store chain, said Wednesday. "It would take a battle of magical proportions to dislodge it before Christmas."

The book's print run sounds enormous until you compare it with the Potter books. The final volume, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" sold 8 million copies in its first 24 hours and had a print run of 12 million in the U.S. alone.

Retailers are not expecting the new book to generate the frenzy that accompanied publication of "Deathly Hallows" in July 2007, when fans dressed as witches and warlocks formed festive crowds outside book stores around the world.

But the day before publication, "Beedle the Bard" was ranked No. 1 on Amazon's British and U.S. Web sites. The Internet retailer is printing 100,000 copies of a leather-bound collectors' edition priced at 50 pounds, or $100 in the United States, and expects them to sell out.

The branch of Borders in central London's Oxford Street was opening at midnight Wednesday, promising magicians and Potter-themed quizzes.

Waterstone's flagship store in central London also was holding a midnight party for 400 ticket-buying readers from as far away as North America and New Zealand.

Rowling was launching the book Thursday with a tea party for local school children at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh, where she lives.

Rowling is donating her royalties to the Children's High Level Group, a charity she co-founded to support institutionalized children in Eastern Europe. The book is published on behalf of the charity by Harry Potter's traditional publishers -- Scholastic in North America and Bloomsbury elsewhere.

Rowling has said she hopes the book will "not only be a welcome present to Harry Potter fans, but an opportunity to give these abandoned children a voice."

Rowling, whose Harry Potter books have sold more than 400 million copies and been translated into 67 languages, wrote the Beedle tales after finishing "Deathly Hallows" last year. iReport.com: Share your thoughts on Rowling's latest

One of the stories, "The Tale Of The Three Brothers," is recounted in "Deathly Hallows," in which the storybook helps Harry and his friends defeat evil Lord Voldemort.

The other tales are "The Fountain of Fair Fortune," "The Warlock's Hairy Heart," "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" and "Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump."

Rowling has described "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" as a distillation of the themes found in the Harry Potter books, calling it her goodbye to a world she lived in for 17 years.
The book was initially produced last year in an edition of seven handwritten copies. Six were given away by Rowling as gifts, and one was bought by Amazon at an auction for almost 2 million pounds ($3 million).

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
^^That's not legal! I say buy the book if you want to read! Seriously, the cover is something collectable! Here, this is what the cover looks like:-
*www.loganberrybooks.com/blog/rowling-beedle.jpg

Oh, and The Conqueror, you've got some luck! Could you also wish for some more fiction like the Potter series? Or Rowling writing more(about her REALLY meaning that "never say never")?

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
The book is nothing but just a final attempt to cash on the mass hysteria that the potter series created.
I mean 500 Rs for the book that is just a supposedly collection of fairy tales for the wizards kids( No there arent any).The collection of the short stories are not even worth the effort for serious reading , forget actually buying.
I wonder some where if Mrs Rowling actually lost her moral self and gave way for for that moment of weakness towards monetary affairs.
I mean shes had earned enough.Last time i knew she was supposed to twiddle in the literary of Detective novels.
Ugh so sad, a wasted effort.
Though i still presume that her cult following will still have the penchant for anything she laps up.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I read the ebook and its less than okay. Not upto JKR's standards. and its only 130 pages, and even for a charity, 500 bucks for 130 pages is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom