The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
See the 1st pic,highlighted option "channel width for 5GHz(i am assuming it is like this as after 5 is not visible in pic).Also just search the product name:
Support for Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235, Dual Band

So even years old samsung N550P had 5GHz N wifi support while many new laptops still come with 2.4GHz N wifi support.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Sorry to bump this old thread but I was thinking of upgrading my laptop's RAM with a new 8GB stick. But I am confused as CPU-Z shows that my RAM is 1.5V and on online stores I am seeing only 1.35V. Help me out here please?!

Also, by 800MHz means I need to see 1600MHz RAM sticks, right?*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180822/db801f3a7fd6fdb6659a5356728ec0d7.jpg*uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180822/ffe1a4d0bc0b340ad217cf9830b872d1.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Older laptops with DDR3 ram used 1.5v ram while newer laptops with DDR3 ram use 1.35v ram(commonly referred as DDR3L ram,L for low voltage).I don't think DDR3L ram will work with your laptop.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Older laptops with DDR3 ram used 1.5v ram while newer laptops with DDR3 ram use 1.35v ram(commonly referred as DDR3L ram,L for low voltage).I don't think DDR3L ram will work with your laptop.
Ah. I did too late to upgrade then. I was seeing DDR3L model everywhere online. These people are selling DDR3L RAM at the same cost of DDR4, I was expecting cheaper price.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any sata ssd will do but I suggest this:
Buy Online SAMSUNG 860 EVO 2.5″ 250GB 3D NAND Internal SATA SSD MZ-76E250BW In India
You can also use this in any of your future laptop/pc build when this old laptop of yours dies.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Then I need to buy a caddy which will fit in my laptop. Will I find it for such an old laptop?? Or it has standard dimensions for all the laptops?
Another thing is, will this SSD will work at normal speed(fast) if I connect through caddy ? Or will it perform slower?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't connect ssd in caddy as most likely your laptop optical drive sata port will be sata 1 or sata 2 which will limit ssd performance. I would suggest buying an external usb 3 enclosure & use internal hdd as portable hdd. I am not suggesting hdd in caddy because in my opinion it is a bit risky as there is not much heat dissipation in a caddy & the optical drive area of a laptop as they were not designed for that. Newer laptops have both sata ports as sata 3 so it doesn't matter even if ssd is in a caddy with poor heat dissipation as ssd don't need it that much.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Don't connect ssd in caddy as most likely your laptop optical drive sata port will be sata 1 or sata 2 which will limit ssd performance. I would suggest buying an external usb 3 enclosure & use internal hdd as portable hdd. I am not suggesting hdd in caddy because in my opinion it is a bit risky as there is not much heat dissipation in a caddy & the optical drive area of a laptop as they were not designed for that. Newer laptops have both sata ports as sata 3 so it doesn't matter even if ssd is in a caddy with poor heat dissipation as ssd don't need it that much.
Oh no! That's a lot of work! Currently I have a dual boot system with Win 10 and Ubuntu 16. How would I move both the OSes to SSD when I purchase it. Sigh.

And what about games? Have 3-4 games on HDD. Need to move them to SSD too?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can simply use macrium reflect free or aomei or minitool partition wizard free to migrate OS(aka C drive) from hdd to ssd(connected via usb enclosure) & then replacing hdd with ssd.

P.S. dual boot system is tricky so let me research it a bit

Top Bottom