The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

anaklusmos

Youngling
My optical drive bay keeps popping out randomly, but this only happens when the laptop is powered on.
Any ideas why this happens?

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
It is better to install windows 7 + Linux, than for the windows 8 + linux combo... AFAIK... UEFI is full of problems especially for the starters...

I just finished installing Win7 and CentOS 6.4.
Even getting Win7 installed was a relative pain.
In case it helps anyone:

I had to disable UEFI mode and Secure Boot from the bios to prevent Win8 from hogging the boot process. If you don't change these settings, you won't even see the Optical drive mentioned in the boot priority listing.

When I got the Win7 DVD booted, I had to delete ALL partitions (even the Samsung Win8 recovery partition - of course I had made a backup of this).

After all partitions are deleted and fresh new partitions were made, Win7 still complained that it could not be installed to any of the partitions - because the preinstalled Win8 used the newer GPT (GUID partition table).
Solution:
Press Shift+F10 to enter command line, type the following:
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0 (or whatever number your disk is)
convert mbr

That should take a couple of seconds. And now you have the ye olde MBR partition table. Now you can select a partition to install Win7 to, and all goes well.

Then later, when trying to install linux for a dual boot (CentOS in my case), the installation complains that there are no partitions or filesystems detected on the HDD...
If you proceed to the next step, where the partitions are listed, it will just show your entire HDD as 'unallocated'. The windows partitions are not recognized.

After cursing and crying for a while, you should go back into Windows and use the heaven-sent fixparts utility.
FixParts Tutorial

The problem is that even though we converted from GPT to MBR, there are still some stray GPT entries in the partition table. Everything is still technically valid, so Windows still loads and works, but it confuses the Linux installer.

So run cmd as administrator in Windows, go to where you downloaded fixparts.exe and run it, and it will automatically detect that there are GPT entries in the MBR partition table and offer to remove them. Do so and the program proceeds to its 'main screen'. But we got what we wanted and we can now exit the program.

Now when you install linux, your Windows partitions will be listed, and you can select your unallocated space to create linux partitions.

The end (I hope).
Tomorrow will be driver-installation-day.

anaklusmos

Youngling
Is it possible to add a SSD to S06IN without voiding the warranty? I have a 240GB SSD from my desktop,which I would love to put in my laptop instead

i72600k

The Physicist!
Samsung has permanently discontinued their 550p series 5 laptops. I can't find them anywhere :-(. Any specific reason why Samsung did this?

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
^^ both of you are running at higher temps at idle, idle temps should be around 40s, have you guys oc'ed it? 47-50 is still ok without cooler and in indian climate...but 63-68 at idle is unacceptable! check if some process is eating at you're CPU all cores in idle.

Hey guys ,

i am considering the S05IN. If few the owners could answer a few questions, that'b be great.:)

2. Can somebody give me the specifics of the GT 650M present in it , like memory type/ bus type etc.

3. What is the actual gaming performance on very demamding games like Crysis 3, Metro LL, BF 4, COD Ghosts etc..

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
^^ both of you are running at higher temps at idle, idle temps should be around 40s, have you guys oc'ed it? 47-50 is still ok without cooler and in indian climate...but 63-68 at idle is unacceptable! check if some process is eating at you're CPU all cores in idle.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

No OCing here :(
Mine is just out-of-the-box.
I uninstalled Win8 and installed Win7 + CentOS. Those temps are in CentOS while running just a browser and one terminal. Currently it's showing 53 degrees. It was in the 60s during the past two days.
I'll try booting into Win7 tonight and check temps after driver installation and stuff.

FYI, the tool I'm using (the 'sensors' command in linux) states that 'high' for this CPU is +87 degrees and 'crit' is +105 degrees.
I'll compare with a tool in Windows later.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
check with realtemps or HWmonitor in win7 and post the idle temps in all four cores, also check CPU usage at desktop when no tasks are running.

hybridic

Broken In
Hello Everybody, I have got my first laptop(i'm a programmer/designer used dual core desktop b4 :|) NP550P5C-S04IN 2 days back in silver for 54.4k from samsungestoreindia.com with Win8 preinstalled after a long search and wait. I'm :) to get at this price, that the price has been increased after a day i have registered(Currently it cost 56.4k in samsungestoreindia and 58.6k in flipkart). Also i have noticed laptop prices of all brands are going up from this week from 2-3k in all online stores. About the lappy it is looking cool on except lil bit plasticky on bottom. Overall look is good and the best thing in this laptop is the SPEAKERS and AMAZING SOUND :)) also to mention the brightness and anti-reflection display(1600x900) :razz: of its matty screen. Backlit keyboard would make it excellent :-D

Other guys may also help . :-D

Are you satisfied with the build quality of samsung . How is your experience with the laptop after 1 year . Please tell me because i am also considering s04 . I know the performance is quite good . All i want to know is about the problems , especially over heating .

Last edited:

hybridic

Broken In
Please someone assist me .
samsung is giving great value for money in the np550 series . I need pure performance ( for gaming , obviously ) but i have no idea about the after sales service of samsung .
Should i rely on a samsung laptops or should i go with some other brand ?

zacfx05

Eeeeh What's up. Doc!?
Hello friends, i recently got hands on a Samsung Np550 s01 in, i had gone through the whole thread and saw the throttling issue. Some had said updating to latest Bios and Gpu Driver the issue can be solved, some say replacing the Mb is what to be done . so with respect to the particular model have the issue solved by updating both Bios and Gpu driver or is it necessary to replace the MB.
also i read somewhere but i don't know where i read definitely its from Thinkdigit stating only i5 models had these issues.

The thread is too big and the questions may have asked before i recollect some but lately i found discussion based on only later models.

If any members who own this particular model from Kerala could pass their PM their mobile number that will be cool so i can clear it soon, i checked with some members who i found is from Kerala but they have not visited Thinkdigit for some time now

On further checking different sources i guess this issue was with some bad batch so in that case for the particular(so1) model which batch is safe

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I own S01. I don't know which batch is safe.
I did update my BIOS. Before update i faced throttling in NFS2010. I don't have that game anymore.
Since i only play FIFA13, which is not so heavy unlike BF3 and all, i don't know whether it'll throttle or not. I have a cooler pad so temp doesn't cross 90C.
Since Kerala temp is not like North india, you won't have much problem i guess

zacfx05

Eeeeh What's up. Doc!?
I own S01. I don't know which batch is safe.
I did update my BIOS. Before update i faced throttling in NFS2010. I don't have that game anymore.
Since i only play FIFA13, which is not so heavy unlike BF3 and all, i don't know whether it'll throttle or not. I have a cooler pad so temp doesn't cross 90C.
Since Kerala temp is not like North india, you won't have much problem i guess

Thanks for the reply mate, i taught all ditched this thread , bro i played nfs most wanted and ac4 both lags after 10-15minutes of game play then it repeats like 5 minutes interval. anyways i m going to service center hope the issue will be solved.

but have u not played any other games, is it possible to check mate , if throttling exist u find it within 10 -15 minutes of gaming.

Top Bottom