The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

RON28

Cyborg Agent
throttling has been solved in S04IN and you are buying S06IN, no problems in that and regarding over heating issues. it will because it has a 2GB GT 650M ( 1 GB was more than enough ).

anon232

Broken In
throttling has been solved in S04IN and you are buying S06IN, no problems in that and regarding over heating issues. it will because it has a 2GB GT 650M ( 1 GB was more than enough ).
Regarding the optical drive is it just a blue ray drive or a blue ray burner?
And how is the display quality of 900p of S06IN compared to the 1080p display of Sony VAIO Fit 15E F15219SN?
And doesn't the Sony VAIO Fit 15E F15219SN/B have a better graphics chip??

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Sony's 1080P display is crisp and any day better than S06IN, no S06IN has only Blue ray driver, you can't burn blue ray DVDs on it. Sony's doesn't have better chip but yes a very decent graphic chip, you can play games on medium settings. But SONY is a pure multimedia laptop. better go for 1080p display rather than spending on S06IN.

anon232

Broken In
Sony's 1080P display is crisp and any day better than S06IN, no S06IN has only Blue ray driver, you can't burn blue ray DVDs on it. Sony's doesn't have better chip but yes a very decent graphic chip, you can play games on medium settings. But SONY is a pure multimedia laptop. better go for 1080p display rather than spending on S06IN.
Hmm i thought so too but sony has an ULV processor,sot sure how it will stack up to demanding applications.
Do you know any other gaming laptop within 60k having a resolution greater than 1366x768 within 60k ?
PLease guys help me I've to buy the laptop within monday should i go with SO6IN or Sony VAIO Fit 15E F15219SN or any other laptop for a good gaming experience?

Last edited:

NearCry

MISSING U ASSEMBLY LINE
Hmm i thought so too but sony has an ULV processor,sot sure how it will stack up to demanding applications.
Do you know any other gaming laptop within 60k having a resolution greater than 1366x768 within 60k ?

You can look at dell 15 R SE for 50k which has 1920 x 1080 screen with ATI 7730M 2Gb graphics card and backlit keyboard

The key specs are
Processor : Intel Core i7-3632 2.2GHz, Turbo Boost upto 3.2GHz 3rd Gen Quad Core Processor

RAM : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Hard Drive : 750GB (5400RPM)

Optical Drive : DVD RW, USB 3.0

Network : 10/100 /1000 LAN / Wi-Fi Dell 2230 / Bluetooth 4.0

Weight: 2.67 Kgs sturdy build for Durability & Performance.

Keyboard: Full English Backlit Keyboard*(limited stock)

Screen : 15.6" 1920x1080 Full HD WLED Display

Graphics : ATI HD7730M 2GB Graphics / HDMI Port / Card Reader

Battery / Color : 6 Cell Battery / Stealth Black Anodized Aluminum Color ONLY (Changeable Lid will be Optional)

Sound and Cam : Waves MaxxAudio 4 + Skull Candy Speakers / 1.0MP HD Web Cam

Dell-15R-SE-i7-3rd-Gen-2GB-ATI-8GB-750GB-Full-HD-1920x1080-Bklt-Keyboard-/331012414469?pt=IN_PC_Laptops&hash=item4d11e09c05

anon232

Broken In
You can look at dell 15 R SE for 50k which has 1920 x 1080 screen with ATI 7730M 2Gb graphics card and backlit keyboard

The key specs are
Processor : Intel Core i7-3632 2.2GHz, Turbo Boost upto 3.2GHz 3rd Gen Quad Core Processor

RAM : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Hard Drive : 750GB (5400RPM)

Optical Drive : DVD RW, USB 3.0

Network : 10/100 /1000 LAN / Wi-Fi Dell 2230 / Bluetooth 4.0

Weight: 2.67 Kgs sturdy build for Durability & Performance.

Keyboard: Full English Backlit Keyboard*(limited stock)

Screen : 15.6" 1920x1080 Full HD WLED Display

Graphics : ATI HD7730M 2GB Graphics / HDMI Port / Card Reader

Battery / Color : 6 Cell Battery / Stealth Black Anodized Aluminum Color ONLY (Changeable Lid will be Optional)

Sound and Cam : Waves MaxxAudio 4 + Skull Candy Speakers / 1.0MP HD Web Cam

Dell-15R-SE-i7-3rd-Gen-2GB-ATI-8GB-750GB-Full-HD-1920x1080-Bklt-Keyboard-/331012414469?pt=IN_PC_Laptops&hash=item4d11e09c05

Nice!!Any othEr?Its good to have options.

Till now 3:
1.S06-IN
2.15R SE
3. VAIO FIT 15219

nissangtr786

Right off the assembly line
I have a samsung np500p5c-s03uk and I have throttling issues, my cpu temps go over 90c after a few minutes gaming, I ven use fn f11 to go on turbo mode. Has anyone tried changing thermalpaste and did that make temps go down as this is my last resort. Specs: i5 3210m 6gb ram gt 650m 2gb 1tb have 90w psu takes like 75-86w high end games but throttles sometimes every 20 seconds.

I had no issues like this on my old acer m3-581tg i5 3317u gt 640m etc with 65w psu and that took with igpu used to record 65w and it played fine. This new laptop one minute gaming and throttling unless its a very low demanding game. My only hope is applying new thermalpaste. Please help me even disabling hyperthreading temps still go sky high over 90c quickly :(

armada_red

Broken In
Can anyone tell me if the S06 model is available for online purchase. Any help would be much appreciated.

prashanth2692

Broken In
hi guys i need some serious help,
i own np550p5c-s02in.
the problem started with windows 7 hp (which was pre installed)- slow boot times 15-30 min
and os was constantly freezing.
then i installed windows 8 only to make things worse
it atleast takes 15 min to boot with 100% disk usage right from startup
i haave attached a file regarding this,
View attachment 12080
on top of th list is shown google crome, but that is not the problem, problem existed even before

nissangtr786

"In software, a throttling process, or a throttling controller as it is sometimes called, is a process responsible for regulating the rate at which application processing is conducted, either statically or dynamically.

For example, in high throughput processing scenarios, as may be common in online transactional processing (OLTP) architectures, a throttling controller may be embedded in the application hosting platform to balance the application's outbound publishing rates with its inbound consumption rates, optimize available system resources for the processing profile, and prevent eventually unsustainable consumption. In, say, an enterprise application integration (EAI) architecture, a throttling process may be built into the application logic to prevent an expectedly slow end-system from becoming overloaded as a result of overly aggressive publishing from the middleware tier."

In short, and more understandable words - Throttling is when a laptop overheats, and the processor, or GPU underclocks itself resulting in lower frame rates for a long time during gameplay.

For example - Lets say you're playing NFS MW 2013, for 20 minutes you played perfectly, but after 20 mins as soon as laptop got heated and reached the desired temps the chip underclocks itself to prevent it from getting damaged. It happened way too often in S02, the reason most of S02 users are now frustrated with Samsung because they feel cheated. :p

It hasn't been noticed ever since the release of S03 tho, and the problem fixed in even S02 in 90% of cases when the users got their motherboards and heatsinks replaced.

I have the np550p5c-s03uk version and the same thing happens to me. I was upgrading from the m3 to get a better all round laptop and to get some exstra oomph from games as I had an i5 3317u gt640m gpu and it played games fine for a few hours at a time but this np550p5c just throttles goes down to 20fps then goes back up to 50-60fps every few minutes to few seconds.

I know this is faster when running at its full potential then my previous acer m3 but still for gaming its useless due to throttling. I will reapply thermalpaste and if that doesn't do the trick then it probably will need a laptop cooler or a call to samsung. In fact I got a usb laptop fan so I wonder if that comes in useful for this laptop or not.

anon232

Broken In
I have the np550p5c-s03uk version and the same thing happens to me. I was upgrading from the m3 to get a better all round laptop and to get some exstra oomph from games as I had an i5 3317u gt640m gpu and it played games fine for a few hours at a time but this np550p5c just throttles goes down to 20fps then goes back up to 50-60fps every few minutes to few seconds.

I know this is faster when running at its full potential then my previous acer m3 but still for gaming its useless due to throttling. I will reapply thermalpaste and if that doesn't do the trick then it probably will need a laptop cooler or a call to samsung. In fact I got a usb laptop fan so I wonder if that comes in useful for this laptop or not.

Yo bro this is not a gaming laptop so don't play gaming marathon.Moreover no can provide support for your uk version here.
And as evident from the 1st post in this page throttling has been solved in s04 version onwards so bad luck 4 u!!:twisted::-D:p:oops:

P.S Usb laptop fan cools you not the laptop:lol:

Can anyone tell me if the S06 model is available for online purchase. Any help would be much appreciated.
Here you go:
1. *www.snapdeal.com/product/samsung-np550p5cs06in-laptop-intel-core/1411888
2. *www.flipkart.com/samsung-np550p5c-...6IN+&ref=52ebef1b-7752-4014-b2b9-c50ed23a417b

sujoyp

Grand Master
@nissangtr786 sadly you have throttling issue ...in my S05 lappy it happens after 1-2 hrs of gaming ...urs is much fast ....get a laptop cooler...and maybe give your laptop some cooling break after every half hour

nissangtr786

Thats the problem, it happens in any game after a minute or two. Its like 60fps then goes to 20fps then it cools it self then it goes to 60fps etc then back to 20fps. Considering its a 90w psu and it takes like 85-87w stressed to the limit its not the power supply fault. I am thinking of taking it apart and putting thermalpaste, just want to hear if anyone else had good experience doing this.

dude i had throttling issues got my mobo replaced and from that day im playing high end games like AC3,Far cry 3, GTA 4(waiting badly for newer GTA) games for more than 5 hours and no sign of overheating. Temp of 90+ is normal it is not overheating unless it reaches 100+. So go for sammy lappy

This gives me hope. Anyone else have got a motherboard replaced and it works fine. I still think all samsung are doing is putting better thermalpaste on as if they replaced each mobo it would cost them a lot of money. Where is the quality control and testing that goes into this. I think I will have to just take it aprt myself and see if better thermalpaste does the trick as that is what I think the solution is. I am gonna do this this week and will post the results. Is it hard to get laptops that work with the specs these days?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
This gives me hope. Anyone else have got a motherboard replaced and it works fine. I still think all samsung are doing is putting better thermalpaste on as if they replaced each mobo it would cost them a lot of money. Where is the quality control and testing that goes into this. I think I will have to just take it aprt myself and see if better thermalpaste does the trick as that is what I think the solution is. I am gonna do this this week and will post the results. Is it hard to get laptops that work with the specs these days?

Its not the thermal paste (I changed that and it still throttled), get MB replaced, that will fix the problem.....like alpha34 said, I play BF3 n AC3 continuously for 2-3 hrs with no issues after MB replacement...

anon232

Broken In
Its not the thermal paste (I changed that and it still throttled), get MB replaced, that will fix the problem.....like alpha34 said, I play BF3 n AC3 continuously for 2-3 hrs with no issues after MB replacement...
Hey i bought this laptop looks ***** .How did put the ssd in the S05 version?How to detect throttling?How to change thermal paster in this laptop?
Please post a detailed technique>
Thanking Yo In Advo

Last edited:

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
guys...for those of you suffering from throttling problems - you need to get your motherboard replaced. its faulty.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Hey i bought this laptop looks ***** .How did put the ssd in the S05 version?How to detect throttling?How to change thermal paster in this laptop?
Please post a detailed technique>
Thanking Yo In Advo

if its brand new there's no need to change the thermal paste. you can detect throttling while playing games, if the game stutters (fps drops) and then goes back up after few minutes or seconds then its throttling, this is only an issue if it happens frequently , the occasional fps drop does not matter......and about ssd check this post by conan

anon232

Broken In
if its brand new there's no need to change the thermal paste. you can detect throttling while playing games, if the game stutters (fps drops) and then goes back up after few minutes or seconds then its throttling, this is only an issue if it happens frequently , the occasional fps drop does not matter......and about ssd check this post by conan
Ya its great but your signature says HDD + SSD.So do you have both or just one of them?

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Ya its great but your signature says HDD + SSD.So do you have both or just one of them?

I did have both in the laptop first (removed the BD drive and installed HDD via a caddy), but then I installed the BD drive back n got a medion usb 3.0 external case for the hdd ....the case was really cheap (Rs 600) n I felt it was a better option than the caddy (saves battery + weight), I've installed all my games on this external drive n no issues at all...

nissangtr786

Well I played fifa 14 demo a very low requirement game highest cpu temp reached was 89c and the cpu load was like 45% load with some web browsing stuff open and the gpu load was like 50% so its not to bad. Stayed constant 60fps even though I played for like 3 hours in one go as it was a new demo. Anyway this gives me hope as I think its just the temps that cause the throttling nothing wrong with the motherboard.

I just need decent thermal paste, put it on my laptop stand with fan on and job done. When I play intensive games it takes 85-87w so its not on limit of the psu as that is 90w. I used to play on my acer m3-581tg with i5 3317u gt 640m record with action using quick sync games and it took 65w and I had no problems so I think its just that this computer doesn't like it when it goes to high temps and throttles massively.

I really need to put new thermal paste on this month for sure I will get it done.