The Samsung Series 5 550P Laptops Thread

abhishekmaha

Broken In
My Initial impression of sammy:

1. keyboard definitely needs to be get used to, as i am moving from lenovo r400.
it simply looks too tiny. i hate the windows pointer middling with the typing :(
2. sound is crystal clear for me. jbl rocks!
3. i tried to close screen with firm left hand..could easily see the liquid-effect on screen.
This also happens with lenovo though.

windows is not my favourite os and will be switching to ubuntu asap.
have taken screen, sound and video samples. trying to upload for sharing.

I know this may sound off topic but is'nt gaming difficult on linux??
I tried a simple game Robin Hood:Legend of Sherwood on Fedora 16 using Wine...It was totally unplayable!! The screen was overall highly darkish and I could not make out any characters...The system had only Graphics Media Accelerator but still it worked perfectly on the dualbooted Windows XP...I am a total newbie to Linux so please don't "Facepalm" me :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
I know this may sound off topic but is'nt gaming difficult on linux??
I tried a simple game Robin Hood:Legend of Sherwood on Fedora 16 using Wine...It was totally unplayable!! The screen was overall highly darkish and I could not make out any characters...The system had only Graphics Media Accelerator but still it worked perfectly on the dualbooted Windows XP...I am a total newbie to Linux so please don't "Facepalm" me:mrgreen::mrgreen:

:facepalm:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
the pune gang finally got the sammy..in all 4 :)
(me, dmplog, ankesh and sakii)
Price was 48.5 with no freebies..
Sakii had a tough time due to his employers-icici card!
the icici atm near baba computers were either shutdown or not functioning.
managed to get the money and finally boarded bus to valsad at 8:30pm.

congrats to all you guys.

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
Just played Max Payne 3 online for 3 hours. 1600X900 resolution, normal settings.

No throttling.

CPU temp at the end of the session - 69 degrees.

AC room, no cooling pad.

The laptop is 'cool'. :lol:

Prongs298

In the zone
Download ThrottleStop 4.00 | techPowerUp

The ThrottleStop Guide

why dont you guys use throttle stop to lock the cpu multiplier to a good number which neither decreases performance nor results in high temps. my bet would be between 13 and 18 depending on the game.

vivekanand

Right off the assembly line
Thanks a lot guys..!

Hello everyone, I am Vivek from Chennai. Have been following this thread for a week or so. And as a result decided to buy the Samsung np550 i7 version and bought the same last Saturday for 59K. The laptop is awesome.

I just need some suggestions. My temporary room at the moment is a small one with no A/C. I also keep the windows shut at evenings to avoid mosquitoes.. he he. So experiencing ventilation issues with the laptop, and so am planning to buy a cooling pad.

I cannot decide whether to buy a cooling pad with a one big fan in the middle or the two small fans at the sides. Because I know the hot air comes out of the vent in the left side of the laptop. But cannot figure out whether it has air intake in the same vent as well or the small array of holes at the bottom.

Thanks a lot in advance. Hoping to clear more doubts in future regarding this laptop.:)

ankeshdave

Game On !!
Got my Lappy yesterday (i5 Version) :mrgreen:

There are a lot of softwares installed on the system.

Laptop took a bit more time to charge than unsual (my be first charge).

I have a few question to those who have been using these before hand.

• How can you switch Graphics cards (Like that you do with AMD Switchable Graphics)
  • Has any updated the BIOS ?? What features u gain in bios settings. I Currenty cannot see graphic properties or settings in bios.
  • What is movie color :oops: ?? (When ever i play a video it slides in and then fades out)

sakii

\m/ \m/
Finally mission accomplished aftr a long wait PUNE SAMSUNG CHAPTER came to end with awl of us ( me+gamer+ankesh+dmplog) came out of shop happy happy.

For me it was a trip to remember(especially aftr forgotting 2 card pins & finally getting my 1 card block for the day :razz: and making half cash and half account transfer mode :) net banking came to rescue at-last).

I had done only 1 thing from morning and tht was JBL show. It is just awesome sound.

Rest I am experiencing Laptop little bit slow & also 1st tym battery was consumed quite quickly ( I charged it to FULL before consuming within a hour it consumed 50% Is it OKAY or shuld I worry.

Also I hv yet to knw a lot abt ma lappy. Which I will use by evening.

1 que. I am planning to buy a cooler ( U3 or U2 ) I wnt it to fit in tht bag...are they compatible with the bag... as I am abt to go home aftr few days so will order frm Flipkart or If any one can point out specific shop at nehru place I will get it frm there by ma bro..

Dude 52990/- is the MRP on the box

SUPRRRR excitied ankesh carried even box to work... :-D:-D:-D LOL.. BTW yess thts MRP on the box.

Ashish247

Journeyman
I'm back from Kolkata. Gonna buy this tomorrow itself... must say, some issues did pop up while I was gone... Any special notes regarding the purchase? or everything's just as fine as it was before?

vipulgreattt

Broken In
I am also gonna buy this lappy (i5 version) this week probably. The thing is I need a wifi router and a good enough (but not too expensive) headset. In fact mainly for its mic, as I am thinking of making some video tutorials and have to record my voice too.
Any suggestions??

What is the best price for this lappy in Delhi and where. Also, should I buy cooler on the same day? as some guy said that cooler should be according to hotspots of bottom of lappy and the fans must be movable or according to those hotspots. Also the cooler should draw power from AC adapter and not USB of laptop itself.

Thanks

aaronlivera

Broken In
To the proud owners...!!!

have any one of u added ssd to your laptop...???

And any one planning on to buy this laptop in Coimbatore...??

vipulgreattt

Broken In
Guys, is there some extended warranty on purchase of Sammy? And if yes, when will this scheme expire?

What ur budget for headset?

Actually I dont have much budget for them. Less than Rs 500 (+100 if nothing less is possible) would be great.

Otherwise I can also manage through a simple good working microphone. In fact I posted a query in Audio section for them but nobody goes there.

So in short.. I need a microphone with good enough sound recording quality to use in making of videos.
Headsets are just kind of extension, as no quality microphone seems to be there in low budget. And also I am doubtful about their compatibility with computers.

I saw this sometime ago, but not sure about quality of iball.

Does anyone have experience with them or any other similar ones..

About Wifi router... this one seems to be expensive.. I was expecting at around 1500 bucks. Is there any alternative like this.

Btw there is huge difference between these two prices, what changed??:-?

yes . Try to get it in 51k.

Wasn't it around 47k in Delhi somewhere?? I am considering that price, otherwise I wont be able to get some necessary accessories I need :(

Top Bottom