The Police Officer On Behalf Of Airtel – FIR, Threats etc

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Omg never expected such unethical practice by #failtel

via:Twitter- a guys complain on blog

Source:*annkur.com/2012/05/audio-the-police-officer-on-behalf-of-airtel-fir-threats-etc/

Last month I had tweeted that a senior High Court lawyer had called me from Delhi with regards to an unpaid Airtel broadband bill and demanded that I pay up in an hour else he would go ahead with proceedings in the Delhi High Court.

The call appeared dubious. The lawyer changed the amount I will have to pay as a ‘fine’ twice, ranging between 80,000 to 150,000 INR that too for a bill amount he claimed was approx Rs 5000. I told him that I don’t like this extortion attempt. The call ended with promises of going legal against me. (Wonder why Delhi when I am based in Mumbai and my Airtel connection was in Mumbai?).

I tweeted out from my account @annkur and Airtel promised to call me. And they did call me regarding the same, only to tell me that I should pay the amount they are asking (some 5,000) and the caller wasn’t ready to co-operate on the complaint I had raised with Airtel before disconnecting my connection. Airtel was in no mood to discuss the so called lawyer who called me and ignored my complaint about harassment / legal threats.

Back then I was travelling and couldn’t do much to record the call, however I got the opportunity today. So what happened today?

I was in office and I got a call from one Mr Samir Saxena who claimed to be ‘thana incharge’ of a police station in Delhi. I made a excuse of driving the car and offered to call back. I called back from a colleagues cell and recorded the call.

He (Samir Saxena) told me that Airtel’s lawyer was present with him and they have some magistrate order to register a FIR against me and start proceedings in 1 hour if I don’t visit an Airtel gallery and pay up the requested amount.

The supposedly police office talks about a fine of some Rs 65000 this time (funny right?) if I fail to comply. The person calling narrated my airtel account no, due amount as per them, address (shop no) and my full name. I asked to speak to my lawyer and call them back.

My friend advised me to lookup the police station and call their landline to confirm. As suspected there was no ‘thana incharge’ named Samir Saxena there.

During the second call from the same person, I informed them that the police station denied the said officers name and that infuriated the caller such that he went on to threaten me beyond limits with police action etc.

I have both the calls recorded. And sharing it with the community. There is lot of discussion there, my words would perhaps not convey the severeness of the situation, you should listen to both the recordings below.

SoundCloud Widget
Airtel has failed to responsibly assist my CS complaint. Failed to settle the bill even after agreeing last year. And are now harassing and threatening me such that we won’t even want criminals to be treated in a democracy like ours.

I am a graduate by education, have taken a course at Asian School of Cyber Law, have been a journalist / technology reporter / blogger since 5 years yet I was scared on both occasions. I still am. I can only imagine what would happen to a common man with such tactics by large cos.

I am happy to share both the phone numbers (last month and today) if required. I am also contemplating legal action against this caller and Airtel. Waiting for advice on that.

rahulyo

Journeyman
File case against Airtel in consumer court also give all call logs, Nos ,recorded call as a proof. And launch FIR against them bcoz of harassment and threatening .

mrintech

Technomancer
This is highly pathetic and sad :(

Banks (for recovering CC Amount) and ISPs follows these types of tactics now a days :mad:

SahilAr

In the zone
This is highly pathetic and sad :(

Banks (for recovering CC Amount) and ISPs follows these types of tactics now a days :mad:

Don't know about banks,but ya in case of ISPs:BSNL,Airtel and Reliance are bullies...
They will do anything to recover their money..even if it means Filing Case/Law Enforcement.Had a bad time in resolving issues with BSNL,once!!It was really bad experience,the amount i had to pay was 1100 INR,that too it was to b due by 2007,after 5 years(khumbkarano ki khatarnak nind khul gayi)and they sent a Letter with a Threat that they will File a Case against my Father(as the connection was registered by father name)
@Op,you should really SUE Airtel for this,also threat them that you will never buy any product/service from them.
Literally shocked to hear that now Airtel too doing this...OMG:shock:
Crap India and Crappy Indian ISPs:mad::mad:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ that incident happened to someone else, not our beloved section mod ;)
had faced such a situation with Reliance with billed amount of 12.6k. ended up paying o.6k only :p

SahilAr

In the zone
^^ that incident happened to someone else, not our beloved section mod ;)
had faced such a situation with Reliance with billed amount of 12.6k. ended up paying o.6k only :p

O wow,how did you managed to pay such a small amount and satisfy them:-?

red dragon

Master troll
I had similar experience with Reliance...even got a letter from some lawyer...did not pay a single penny...replied with a strong letter from my lawyer...done!

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Seems like these big corporate house have no ethics in business.This is how they make profit.Inflate the bills and threatening to pay.Surely idea of some MBA guy lol.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Not that I am justifying their behavior or saying the person harassed is incorrect, but there are a TON of people out there, who use, throw the SIM, and walk off. Society forces these companies to do lame things. But am sure there are other ways to get money. India should seriously start a credit rating system linked to our PAN, and that can be used before hand before start of service. There is way way to much fraud and account delinquency out there.

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Not that I am justifying their behavior or saying the person harassed is incorrect, but there are a TON of people out there, who use, throw the SIM, and walk off. Society forces these companies to do lame things. But am sure there are other ways to get money. India should seriously start a credit rating system linked to our PAN, and that can be used before hand before start of service. There is way way to much fraud and account delinquency out there.

EXACTLY! There are lots of mobile recharge shops in my area that sells sim cards for only Rs. 5 - Rs. 15 and offers a talktime of approximately Rs. 35 - Rs. 40. They sells them without any documents, with a condition that the sim cards should be used within a few days and then destroyed! :oops:

Top Bottom