The Official Windows 7 Discussion Thread

Stuge

Youngling
hi

i have win 7 ultimate original key msdn can i use this key for both 32 bit and 64 bit after win 7 release.
I'm little late ,but it may help others .yes ,you can use the same key for both 32bit and 64 bit windows .

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Those DVD's are still stuck in Customs :p .

EDIT: BTW My vendor from whom I purchased my HP DV6000 Laptop told my father that he can arrange for a free upgrade :p .. I had purchased it 2 yrs ago :p. I havent spoken to my vendor yet.. let me see what he has to offer.

Last edited:

gauravgargi

Broken In
Hi

I want to install Windows 7. I have Win XP in my C: drive. I want to use dual OS.
Pl tell me the procedure. I dont want to do anything with my current OS.

Also , please tell, if in future , I want to remove Win 7, without affecting my Win XP,
what is the procedure for that???

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
*www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/
*lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-with-xp-or-vista

Krow

Crowman
If you install Win 7 over XP, you'd be better off making a new partition on your HDD. So then XP's default boot manager will pop up. TO remove Win7 is easy after that. Simply format the drive of win7 using a win vista or win 7 install disk (after you boot from the same install disk).

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
... Those DVD's are still stuck in Customs :p .

Its all over now.

I got a call from Microsoft, Delhi, yesterday afternoon asking me to pick it up from Tata Croma (where I had registered earlier), alongwith the Reebok gift watch, within a week. Price for Windows 7 Ultimate: Rs.10533 or something like that and not Rs 11999 indicated earlier. Will go to Croma today.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
I have got problem with my Win 7 setup, d fonts have turned italic after a restart.Tried changin it from the personalization page but it doesn't work.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
This must be the longest I have ever held out with any OS besides Windows XP on my PC. I had Vista for a brief moment and promptly removed it after 15 minutes. But this is a totally amazing OS. The only thing bugging me right now is my Airtel connection keeps dropping (network icon showing yellow symbol and No Network Access message) out and it never used to happen when I was on XP. I have got everything else worked out. I haven't tried gaming that much, but The Saboteur got screwed because of ATI+Win7 issue. Apart from that, it's pretty solid.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@Ethan_Hunt, that network connection drop used to happen to me too. Problem was with the buggy drivers that are installed win windows automatic update. Once I reverted back to the driver provided in mobo's dvd everything was good and I never allowed n/w drivers to be installed by Automatic update since then.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@Ethan_Hunt, that network connection drop used to happen to me too. Problem was with the buggy drivers that are installed win windows automatic update. Once I reverted back to the driver provided in mobo's dvd everything was good and I never allowed n/w drivers to be installed by Automatic update since then.
I did the same thing today. I uninstalled the default driver installed by the OS and ran the setup from my LAN card's driver disc. Hope it works out.

NarutoNamikaze

Right off the assembly line
How to uninstall win7 from windows triple boot and upgrade vista to win7?

I have a triple boot of Windows XP, Windows 7 RC and Vista in three different partitions with Vista set as the default OS. I had XP first and then installed win7 RC and then Vista. Now I want to uninstall win7 RC and upgrade Vista to the retail version of win7. I have Easy BCD installed in win7 RC. According to apc Magazine, to uninstall win7, I have to uninstall the vista bootloader.

(to remove the Windows 7 boot manager – in EasyBCD go to “Manage Bootloader”, select “Uninstall the Vista Bootloader” and then “Write MBR”. At the moment EasyBCD isn't aware of a distinction between Vista and Windows 7, but using this option still works fine)

I want to know if I uninstall the vista bootloader, will the bootloader of Vista be uninstalled along with win7. From which OS should I uninstall the vista bootloader for win7 using Easy BCD: XP or win7? If the bootloader of Vista is also removed, then how can I again make the bootloader? Will I use the method told in apc magazine(*apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=4)? Is there any other method for uninstalling Windows 7 RC?

After I upgrade my Vista to win7, will the programs and games installed in Vista work or do I have to install them again? Will the documents and files in the drive in which Vista is installed be deleted in the upgrade process?

What is the difference between Windows 7 RTM and Windows 7 Retail? Is Windows 7 RTM the Retail version?

Top Bottom