The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

d00by

Broken In
LOL ya thats true.. am feeling it

I am glad you feel this way.

Windows is a piece of shi@! especially that excuse for an OS called Windows Vista. What a giant waste of a software calling itself an OS.

Steve Ballmer should be given 40 lashes for unleashing the piece of cr@pware called Vista. :D

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
I took the 13" for 63k. Ya i could have taken from usa and save some money. But for that i need to wait till nov as i cannot go before that and Student discount ends by this month. Anyways i have a iphone 3G so thought its ok. And also one of my friend took another 15" MBP for 100K. We got some headphone(4K sennheiser headphone) each of us. I took from Reliance digital.They told they will give us Snow leopard free upgrade once it arrives in india.

ooh gr8... so its a free upgrade of the new OS.. kool...

tat 63K pricing for a 13" MBP is really good, i mean the other day i checked out apple store at Croma (Mumbai) they told me that 13" MBP is 75K... wtf... ???

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
ooh gr8... so its a free upgrade of the new OS.. kool...

tat 63K pricing for a 13" MBP is really good, i mean the other day i checked out apple store at Croma (Mumbai) they told me that 13" MBP is 75K... wtf... ???

Ask for student discount.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, its strange, not untrue. Check here:
*www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

And NO, my macbook pro has only 1 audio port, for audio alone, not for the microphone.
They changed it in the latest model. I apologise for the error.

In my opinion, its not true. May be in comparison, but its still bad. You have got to be careful.
Unless you’re throwing it all over the place or deliberately scratching it with keys, it’s not going to attract scratches. I’ve owned a MacBook Pro and a MacBook over the past three years and neither has ever seen any scratches (at least not ones that can be seen with the naked eye). Anodised aluminium and the glass Apple uses just aren’t very scratch-prone materials.

:) its not a reason but an infatuation.
It was supposed to be a humourous aside, not an actual reason.

the.kaushik

Guys hope some one helps me.. Windows user in mac takes some time to learn :D

1) How to maximize applications.
2) When ever i install any app why does it creates a icon on my desktop like a pendrive. I can eject it after ward. what is the reason for that?
3) How to uninstall any app

d00by

Broken In
Guys hope some one helps me.. Windows user in mac takes some time to learn :D

1) How to maximize applications.
2) When ever i install any app why does it creates a icon on my desktop like a pendrive. I can eject it after ward. what is the reason for that?
3) How to uninstall any app

Here is a good site for you *www.myfirstmac.com

I am not a "technical" person. I will try to explain as best as I can and to the best of my understanding. Someone please correct me if I am being incorrect.

1) The green button maximizes the window "in proportion". If you mean that you want to fill the whole screen/monitor with the window, you will have to point the mouse at the bottom right corner of the window and drag the window to fill the screen. It may sound weird, but that is the way it is in OSX. At-least that is what I know. Somebody correct me if I am wrong!

2) Installer in OSX is an "image". it "mounts" on your file system when you double-click on the installer. This is what happens in Linux as well. OSX is UNIX-based. That's the way it is in OSX.

3)Drag the Application from the Applications folder to the trash bin. That's all that is needed to uninstall.

the.kaushik

Ok that helps. Thanks for the site. Hope fully there is something i can do about maximize. also i cannot extend a application window behind the dock

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
^
Ok that helps. Thanks for the site. Hope fully there is something i can do about maximize. also i cannot extend a application window behind the dock
I don't know why you'd be so keen on that, but you can.
----

There is nothing that you should be doing about that what you call 'maximize'. :p These are elementary differences the way application windows are handled by each OS.

Say you are working on a 1920x1080 screen. Do you still maximize each browser and explorer window you open, in Windows? There's a point you stop doing that in Windows too, since it becomes impractical.

Yeah, OS X works a bit different. Windows at their 'zoomed' size are just what it takes to accommodate all of their contents. But then, you still get what you wanted. Its just that you(me, everybody) have been trained with that sense of fulfillment after mazimising a window. :)

Some apps like Firefox defy the OS X rule though. And yeah, you have workarounds for native Cocoa apps, for that 'maximize' feature.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

yup, agreed, infact i love the FF browser, even though its minimised (not to the taskbar, ofcurse not..lol.) the broswer jus adjusts all the tabs and text and more than that there's no trouble of side scrolling jus the vertical scrolling.. wich is quite impressive..(i noticed this today after i accidently minimised the FF window..lol...) :p
--------

Cheers n e-peace....

the.kaushik

^
I don't know why you'd be so keen on that, but you can.
----

There is nothing that you should be doing about that what you call 'maximize'. :p These are elementary differences the way application windows are handled by each OS.

Say you are working on a 1920x1080 screen. Do you still maximize each browser and explorer window you open, in Windows? There's a point you stop doing that in Windows too, since it becomes impractical.

Yeah, OS X works a bit different. Windows at their 'zoomed' size are just what it takes to accommodate all of their contents. But then, you still get what you wanted. Its just that you(me, everybody) have been trained with that sense of fulfillment after mazimising a window. :)

Some apps like Firefox defy the OS X rule though. And yeah, you have workarounds for native Cocoa apps, for that 'maximize' feature.

LoL true :)

Anyways have started with customizing my desktop. I have replaced my icons. Its just so fun. Damn why didn't i started with mac before, Now i know what i was missing.

Guys please share some sites for customizing desktop at max :)

IronManForever

^ I hardly 'customize' anything. The default look/icons work best for me. Though yeah, there are some 3rd party apps that I use that could do with some customizing (read: Opera).

the.kaushik

Ya that even works for me but once i visited MacTheme site and saw some breath taking desktops on flickr i am stunned at the cool look.
If i get something really cool i will let you guys know. In the mean time if any one doing customization please let me know some good source. cheers!

Guys.. Its told that MBP gives 7hrs of battery backup. I never get more that 5.56Hrs. Why is that?

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
OK now today I saw my friend's old macbook pro that looks exactly the same as mine, which is the one without the unibody. I saw that his keyboard layout was totally different. The speaker controls are on F3, F4 and F5. But mine are on F10, F11 and F12. There is also a "enter" key that is on the bottom right side which I have no idea what it is for. I have the Early 2008 Macbook Pro and I have no idea what date he bought his in.
----
Here is how mine looks like:
*img142.imageshack.us/img142/4007/designkeyboard20080226.th.jpg
This is what his looks like:
*img142.imageshack.us/img142/5923/andorumacbookpro1overal.th.jpg

IronManForever

Guys.. Its told that MBP gives 7hrs of battery backup. I never get more that 5.56Hrs. Why is that?
7 hours under the conditions Apple used to rate the battery life. You can't run a DVD movie with full brightness and expect it to run that long!

Though yeah, its still a bit of a stretch. But hey, on low brightness and ethernet (wifi off), I was able to squeeze off ~ 6 hours from my Oct 2008 MacBook. So I think 7 hours is reachable under the conditions Apple used.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
In the mean time if any one doing customization please let me know some good source. cheers!

There's Magnifique (*magnifique.en.softonic.com/mac), which may or may not be good.

Also check out GeekTool. I don't know about Snow Leopard yet, but on Leopard, GeekTool sometimes causes Exposé to behave strangely.

the.kaushik

Dude today i tried this combi and it got almost 7.4hrs ...wow.

Display brightness -10% (Least possible)
KB light off
BT off
WIFI on

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
FatBeing going the Mac way—this is something I’d never seen coming. I still remember that epic e-mail you sent me all those years ago, man. (Thanks for it, by the way. It turned me into a writer. :))

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
FatBeing going the Mac way—this is something I’d never seen coming.

It came last year, actually. After the student discount, the Macbook was the cheapest 13-inch laptop with a T8100. And yes, I do like that I don't have to fight with my OS to get my work done.

I still remember that epic e-mail you sent me all those years ago, man. (Thanks for it, by the way. It turned me into a writer. :))

You had the fixings for a writer in any case. It was the starry-eyed Apple-worshipping that was bothersome.

IronManForever

There's Magnifique (*magnifique.en.softonic.com/mac), which may or may not be good.

Also check out GeekTool. I don't know about Snow Leopard yet, but on Leopard, GeekTool sometimes causes Exposé to behave strangely.
I find Magnifique to be pretty unstable and buggy.

Haven't actually tried GeekTool though.

the.kaushik

@FatBeing.. sure i will give a try.

Guys do use screen guard for your MB or MBP? Its just so much sensitive to fingermark prints and dusts. If yes where did you buy. I don't even find on ebay.

Top Bottom