The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

d00by

Broken In
upgrade it online?

I don't understand. are you taking about software updates?

For that to happen, I have to first upgrade/install the main Snow Leopard OS first. :)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
ok i need ur help here again guys...

1.) my friend is in US (rochester) and i told him to buy a MBP for me (as the Ipod touce free offer is still alive till 8th sept. 09) so i jus wanna confirm tat if he brings tat MBP lappy with him to here (mumbai) will tat laptop be under the so called WORLDWIDE warranty policy of apple..??

say, if anything goes bad, will the Apple store here in mumbai get it fixed..?? plz tell me if i shud buy tat laptop (via my friend) from US or no.. :confused:

2.) Also, i hope there will be no physical hardware/port design conflicts in the MBP wen i use it here in India, like say the design of ports/LAN cable (RJ45) not matching the port in the MBP.. ?? :confused: coz i guess all ports are jus basic worldwide IEEE patters... ?? right..?

Last edited:

Artemis

The Last Puff
I'm planning to get an MBP 13" frm US with the iPod touch free offer, the thing is i was concerned abt the warranty applicable in India, also should i include iWork? bcoz Open Office is available for Mac, i wont be doing that amount of presentations and things, just the basic works..any other recommended softwares? Also is iWork files compatible with Ms Office? also is Bootcamp included in the package? any other accesories u guys recommend?

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

ooh gr8, so u and i are on the same boat. (as im also getting a mbp 13" from the US via my friend).. gr8 to hv u here..

yup, i too wanna knw the replies of above queries from all the Mac experts here.. plz :)

also, Artemis, i guess the bootcamp is by default provided so u need not install it, as its provided with the OS itself.. :)

plz guys tell me wat s/wares shud i get with my MBP 13" (wen ordering it from US).. :confused:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
@Ashu
You get Snow Leopard. You get iLife 09. What you wont get is iWork 09. Buy that. Comes discounted with the purchase of a new Mac from Apple.

Last edited:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Artemis : well i dnt knw wether i shud go for iWorks or no.. :confused: as this is the 1st time im switching over from a Windows based PC to a Mac...

@ IronMan: thanx dude, so is tat Snow leopard the latest of MAc OS.. ?? is it.. ?? also, shud i get iWorks 09 from the US itself (wen my friend buys the laptop) or shud i buy it here in Mumbai from an Apple store.. ?? (i hope the discount applies everywhere..) :confused:

also.... plz sumone tell me this ...

1.) i jus wanna confirm tat if he brings tat MBP lappy with him to here (mumbai) will tat laptop be under the so called WORLDWIDE warranty policy of apple..??

say, if anything goes bad, will the Apple store here in mumbai get it fixed..??

======================

Cheers n e-peace...

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
About warranty why don't you give a fake call to Apple customer care and ask. I think that will be good

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
@Ashu
No problems with warranty at all. Its not Apple for nothing. ;)

Since the discount comes 'with' the purchase of a new Mac, I suggest you buy it when you buy the Mac, wherever that may be.

And I fathom the pricing is higher in India than US? It might not be much from Apple, but there are no reasons you should not get them together.

Also, you might want to use the MacBook with a larger display or TV. For that, you have the choice of buying Mini-Displayport to VGA or DVI adapter. I suggest DVI, since VGA is struggling nowadays, unable to go higher than 1920x1080. You can drive upto 2560x1600 resolution screen with DVI. (I am not sure, but I guess you will need a dual link DVI setup to go that high).

The adapter, sadly, isnt bundled. Apple probably thought many people dont use monitors with laptops at home/work, and kept that optional at 29$ or so.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
@Ashu
I would recommend Office even though it is more expensive than iWork. Excel and Word is superior compared to pages and numbers, and much more easier to use. I have to admit, Keynote is better than Powerpoint but you can live with it. And if you have a student discount Office can be pretty cheap. Be warned, on keynote if you export to .PPT or .PPTX the themes, transitions and alignment of the items may not work correctly.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@Ashu
No problems with warranty at all. Its not Apple for nothing. ;)

Since the discount comes 'with' the purchase of a new Mac, I suggest you buy it when you buy the Mac, wherever that may be.

And I fathom the pricing is higher in India than US? It might not be much from Apple, but there are no reasons you should not get them together.

Also, you might want to use the MacBook with a larger display or TV. For that, you have the choice of buying Mini-Displayport to VGA or DVI adapter. I suggest DVI, since VGA is struggling nowadays, unable to go higher than 1920x1080. You can drive upto 2560x1600 resolution screen with DVI. (I am not sure, but I guess you will need a dual link DVI setup to go that high).

The adapter, sadly, isnt bundled. Apple probably thought many people dont use monitors with laptops at home/work, and kept that optional at 29$ or so.
ooh ok thanx for tat update buddy, yup its not apple for nothing, totally agree adn feeling happy tat the international warranty is sure a good thing Apple did not like other MS $h!t$..lol..

yup, Apple MBP in India are way too costly, the 13" MBP 2.26 GHz costs Rs. 68,110/- whereas the same lappy costs Rs. 52,800 in U.S :( i think its high tiome apple did sumthing for its user base in India..

ok, will look into the DVI cable matter, will b uy tat too.. :)

thanx again for ur quick reply dude.. :)

@Ashu
I would recommend Office even though it is more expensive than iWork. Excel and Word is superior compared to pages and numbers, and much more easier to use. I have to admit, Keynote is better than Powerpoint but you can live with it. And if you have a student discount Office can be pretty cheap. Be warned, on keynote if you export to .PPT or .PPTX the themes, transitions and alignment of the items may not work correctly.
hey thanx to u too dude for the reply..:)

now im feeling good abt getting my MBP from the U.S :D

as i will be ordering the MBP via my friend who is in U.S, i will leave it to him to avail the Student Discount to get it for me on his behalf.. :D

thanx again dude.. :)
---------

Cheers n e-peace....
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
===========

ok, now so everything is finalised, is there any Minor thing tat i shud worry/take care of for MBP.. ?? anything ..??

===========

Last edited:

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
I would recommend you buy the Applecare but it is not nessecary and I didn't do so. Also consider buying an external HDD or Time Capsule for Time Machine, but use it with Snow Leopard because it is extremely slow on 10.5. Good luck!

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

thanx for tat tip.. :)

today i went to Apple store at croma, malad (mumbai) store, and asked him (infact troubled the sales person) all i cud muster to ask.lol.. but he was calm and composed adn answered all my querries to the best of my satisfaction.. :)

I asked him about the APP and told him tat since i as getting the lappy from U.S i will take the APP (2 yrs plan) from here, will tat do..? he told me yes, its easy as its Apple.. :)

then i asked him abt the so called "international warranty" and he told me again on the affirmative side, that yes, its applicable as apple says.. :)

now, the latest model they (apple store) had at croma was the MP900 (or sumthing of tat sort) for the MBP 13" but it costed 75K but in U.S it costs jus 52K + free Ipod touch (8GB) so i guess i'll make a purchase from the U.S .. final.. :D
-----------

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
^^ The iPod Touch you get will be outdated pretty soon. The "It's just rock and roll, but we like it" thing will annouce a whole new lineup of iPods, and the iPod Touch is rumored to take the place of the iPod Classic and get a camera

the.kaushik

Guys I just got the MacBook Pro and am so excited :D

The multi touch track pad is unbelievable. its so good. Scrolling through pages is so easy.

Atlast i got to know how to do right click.. I struggled for an hr. Windows after effect :D

Only thing i didn't liked is that the power cord is not the Indian standard one but is US standard. I need to buy a convertor for it.Anyways.

Guys please let me know how to do maximize any application. In windows minimizing is just a button click but here if i click the "+" button it just resize the window.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

kool, congrats dude..

u got it from the U.S.. ?? so must hv got the Ipod touch with it too right..?? for how much u got the MBP.. ?? and is it 13" or a 15" ..?? :)

the.kaushik

^^

kool, congrats dude..

u got it from the U.S.. ?? so must hv got the Ipod touch with it too right..?? for how much u got the MBP.. ?? and is it 13" or a 15" ..?? :)

I took the 13" for 63k. Ya i could have taken from usa and save some money. But for that i need to wait till nov as i cannot go before that and Student discount ends by this month. Anyways i have a iphone 3G so thought its ok. And also one of my friend took another 15" MBP for 100K. We got some headphone(4K sennheiser headphone) each of us. I took from Reliance digital.They told they will give us Snow leopard free upgrade once it arrives in india.

Last edited:

d00by

Broken In
Welcome to the World of Mac Computers, my friend.

You will never go back to the world of Windows again. Once you go mac, you stay with Mac. :)

Top Bottom