The official thread for any and all discussion related to Apple Inc.

The new MacBook!

• Total voters

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
^^

thanx legolas.. :)
-----

i checked Apple's India site, they DO NOT hv any such offer (Tpod Touch free with a mac book pro) :( .. so will jus wait to see if there is any launch of a new Ipod product in oct.09.. :)

thanx again.. :)
--------

Though apple india dont have a ipod touch free still they have student discount which gives direct 12% off on the MRP. If you are not a student just find out someone and buy on his name. Give a call to there support center for details.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Though apple india dont have a ipod touch free still they have student discount which gives direct 12% off on the MRP. If you are not a student just find out someone and buy on his name. Give a call to there support center for details.
thanx for the update..will see where can i find any neighbour of mine who is a student.. :D
-------------
Creative's Zii
and Zune HD *www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm

than both of u guys.. :) any idea of its launch date..?? (in INDIA)..??

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
=================
===================

Ok, so finally im making plans to by a Apple Laptop..I browsed thru the Apple India's site and found out tat the MAcBook Pro family of lappys (Especially the 15" macbook pro lappy) wud be suitable for my use..but still i wanna hv ur (expert Mac users) opinions on the laptops... :)

My main requirement wud be:

1.) to run java based applications/programs (as im into java programming with JCreator, NetBeans)
2.) to run Database type applications like Oracle, MS SQL Server (so as to integrate my java programs with the Databases connectivity)...

2b.) i hope a mac OS will let me run these apps or will i again hv ti revert back to the Bootcamp ?? (to run my apps in windows on a mac lappy..?? :confused:
---------

more/Less used requirements (but it will be surely a necessacity):

3.) Full fledged Net connectivity via wifi as wel as a lan wire (rj45) wich ever wud be applicable as per the location/services available, but i need both of these options.. :)
(i hope browsing using the Safari Browser wud be a piece of cake (as it is with my present browser--> Firefix on my Desktop)..right..??

4.) Movie watching on the go..(not into fullHD movie formats, but mpeg-4 movie formats tat i own mostly)

5.) sum basic games like fifa (as i already hv a monster PC as in my siggy) but jus to kill sum useless time (wen im on travel) i will run basic games.. (ooh no no no, NOT crysis plz..lol..) :)
--------------

I jus wanted to ask wich lappy is better for me
(plz tell me the prices as well, a si will make a purchase from the Apple store in Mumbai, Inorbit, i hope tats the only "reliable" place to buy apple products.. right ?? :confused: )

1.) MAc book Pro

OR

2.) MAc book Air (i guess it lacks rj45 port, if yes then its a no no for me)

=================

Cheers n e-peace....

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
My main requirement wud be:

1.) to run java based applications/programs (as im into java programming with JCreator, NetBeans)
2.) to run Database type applications like Oracle, MS SQL Server (so as to integrate my java programs with the Databases connectivity)...

2b.) i hope a mac OS will let me run these apps or will i again hv ti revert back to the Bootcamp ?? (to run my apps in windows on a mac lappy..??
more/Less used requirements (but it will be surely a necessacity):

3.) Full fledged Net connectivity via wifi as wel as a lan wire (rj45) wich ever wud be applicable as per the location/services available, but i need both of these options.. :)
(i hope browsing using the Safari Browser wud be a piece of cake (as it is with my present browser--> Firefix on my Desktop)..right..??

4.) Movie watching on the go..(not into fullHD movie formats, but mpeg-4 movie formats tat i own mostly)

5.) sum basic games like fifa (as i already hv a monster PC as in my siggy) but jus to kill sum useless time (wen im on travel) i will run basic games.. (ooh no no no, NOT crysis plz..lol..) :)
--------------

Unless you're absolutely gooey at the thought of a unibody, the 13" white MacBook is the best value you're going to get from an Apple notebook. To upgrade it, you can get new memory from Corsair and do it yourself (Apple grossly overcharges you for adding memory).

I don't know about Oracle, but you can install MySQL (both server and client) on a Mac without much issue.

Firefox works on Macs too, though not as smoothly as Safari (at least, not in my experience). Another browser that's pretty good is iCab, though it's WinRAR-like nagware.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

thanx for tat update buddy, appreciate it.. :)

Btw, is there any advantage of having a Unibody mac lappy..?? :confused:
(i hv never owned a laptop b4, but i want my 1st lappy to be a mac based as im jus sick with Windows based systems :grrr...: )

afaik, its all aluminium body and wud be really durable and good looking too.. apart from tat i knw nothing abt unibody stuff.. :confused:
------

Plz enlighten me guys... :)

also, if i go to an Apple store (say, INORBIT, malad, mumbai) will the student pricing offer be applicable there too..??
------

Cheers n e-peace...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
There are several advantages of going the unibody route. So many, in fact, that I think it clearly outstrips the white MacBook in the value for money department. The unibody MacBook is thinner and significantly lighter (half a kilogram), has a backlit keyboard that is very useful, the world’s best trackpad (and this is no exaggeration) that supports Multi-touch gestures and is vastly superior to the one on the white MacBook, a FireWire 800 port, an SD card slot, better processor, an integrated NVIDIA 9400M graphics chipset, better screen, better and louder speakers, and significantly longer battery life. And that’s not to mention that it just looks sexier, feels much thinner than it actually is, and is sturdier to boot. It also is pretty scratch and dirt resistant (while the white MacBook attracts them like bugs to a candle flame).

I could go on with the other smaller advantages (the unibody MacBook Pro can drive a 30-inch display, for instance, while the MacBook cannot; “MacBook Pro” sounds much sexier than “MacBook”, etc.) but I think I’ve pretty much covered all the important points. If you’re in the market for a 13-inch Mac notebook and are planning to buy the MacBook, I urge you, for your own sake, to please reconsider. You can get the 13-inch MacBook Pro for about Rs. 62,000 (with a student discount) and you should definitely go for that.

I hope you found that helpful.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This is strange. My macbook pro (about a month old now) just has 1 audio "port??" for headphones and an inbuilt microphone... but there is no audio in...
very strange!!!
Yeah, strange indeed. Not to mention untrue. Your MacBook Pro has two circular ports right next to each other and one of them is an audio in port.

the.kaushik

œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπåß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬Ω≈ ç√∫˜
Yeah, strange indeed. Not to mention untrue. Your MacBook Pro has two circular ports right next to each other and one of them is an audio in port.

But the 13' has only one port and some where i read that you can actually use iphones headphone with it for microphone also.I mean it actually as audio in and out together like mobiles. Also who needs a mic when there is a inbuilt mic (omnidirectional) unless you are using for some serious audio technologies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
The unibody MacBook is thinner and significantly lighter (half a kilogram), has a backlit keyboard that is very useful, the world’s best trackpad (and this is no exaggeration) that supports Multi-touch gestures and is vastly superior to the one on the white MacBook, a FireWire 800 port, an SD card slot, better processor, an integrated NVIDIA 9400M graphics chipset, better screen, better and louder speakers, and significantly longer battery life. And that’s not to mention that it just looks sexier, feels much thinner than it actually is, and is sturdier to boot. It also is pretty scratch and dirt resistant (while the white MacBook attracts them like bugs to a candle flame).

THanx alo for this major info dude.. :) really appreciate it..and thanx agian for pointing out the pros of the Pro and Unibody frame... :)

You can get the 13-inch MacBook Pro for about Rs. 62,000 (with a student discount) and you should definitely go for that.
I hope you found that helpful.
Helpful..?? u kidding me.. ?? it was definately and entertainingly helpful dude.. :)

Ok, now i knw tat i need to be goin for a 13" MBP..btw u hv any faint idea wat docs are needed by apple so tat i can avail the so called "Student Offer Pricing"..?? :confused:
also, plz tell me the actual price of a 13" MBP (without the student offer, i mean) :)
---------

Cheers n e-peace....

legolas

Padawan
No, its strange, not untrue. Check here:
*www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

And NO, my macbook pro has only 1 audio port, for audio alone, not for the microphone.

It also is pretty scratch and dirt resistant (while the white MacBook attracts them like bugs to a candle flame).

In my opinion, its not true. May be in comparison, but its still bad. You have got to be careful.

“MacBook Pro” sounds much sexier than “MacBook”.

:) its not a reason but an infatuation.

best.

d00by

Broken In
Apple Snow Leopard OS Availability?

Hi,

The new Operating System from Apple 'Snow Leopard' has been given a release date of August 28th.

Can anyone help me in finding a place in New Delhi where it will be available on that day?

Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

somedevil

Right off the assembly line
The mbp 13 inch has only one input/output hole for audio ! obviously if you need to record and monitor hardcore audio jobs , then apple (and anyone halfway serious) expects you to buy an external soundcard !

d00By, are you kiddin me ? apple india website lists shitloads of places where you can buy apple products ! i been in delhi 2 days and i personally have been going to Maple computers at malviya nagar/shivalik. their staff is pretty friendly on the other hand anything mac at uphaar cinema sucks ass ! very very rude staff !

d00by

Broken In
anymac

d00By, are you kiddin me ? apple india website lists shitloads of places where you can buy apple products ! i been in delhi 2 days and i personally have been going to Maple computers at malviya nagar/shivalik. their staff is pretty friendly on the other hand anything mac at uphaar cinema sucks ass ! very very rude staff !

I know about those places.

I talked to anymac at uphaar cinema. They told me that Snow Leopard will be available with them only around mid-september which sucks.

Any idea where I could get Snow Leopard sooner? :(

Top Bottom