The official iPhone thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Re: First review iPhone = iUseless

A FAQ on what the iPhone has and what it lacks

With its new iPhone, Apple pulled off two masterful feats: creating the machine and creating the buzz around it. But just how much of a phone, iPod and Internet machine is this thing?

Here are the answers to the most frequently asked iPhone questions. Before you dive in, though, a note about the "Does it have . . ?" questions. Apple has indicated that it intends to add features through free software updates, so the real, secret answer to some of the "no" answers is actually, "Not yet." But here goes for now.

1.Does the touch screen work if you're wearing gloves? Will a stylus or pen tip work?
No. Skin contact is required to operate the buttons. Fortunately, most tappable elements on the screen are big and broad, designed for fingertip access.

2.Does the iPhone have a speakerphone? Vibrate mode? Airplane mode?
Yes, yes and yes. The speakerphone and vibrating are both weak, though.

3.What iPod features does the iPhone have?
Password protection, shuffle and repeat modes, ratings, audiobooks, audiobook speed control, podcasts, SoundCheck, equalization, volume limiter, on-the-go playlists. But it lacks these iPod features: games, lyrics, video output to a TV, and disk mode, where the iPod acts as a hard drive for transporting computer files.

4.Does the iPhone work with iPod accessories?
Some of them. The iPod radio receiver works, for example, but FM transmitters may not work. Existing speaker systems trigger the iPhone's airplane mode - wireless and phone features turned off - to avoid interference with the music. Starting soon, iPhone-compatible iPod products will bear a "Works with iPhone" logo.

5.Can you use your iTunes songs as ring tones? Can you download new ones?
No. At the moment, the iPhone's 25 ring tones are your only choices.

6.Can you use your own headphones?
Fortunately, the iPhone has a standard miniplug headphone jack; unfortunately, its plastic molding prevents most headphone plugs from going in all the way. Adapters will be available.

7.Does the iPhone work with Bluetooth computers, printers, stereo headsets or keyboards?
No. At the moment, it communicates only with hands-free devices like Bluetooth headsets and a car's dashboard system.

8.Does the iPhone alert you when it detects a wireless Internet hot spot?
Yes. In fact, if it's a hot spot you've used before, the iPhone hops onto it seamlessly and quietly.

9.Can the iPhone serve as a wireless modem for a laptop?
No.

10.Can the iPhone receive songs, files, calendar appointments, contacts or software updates wirelessly?
No, only from your computer through the USB charging cradle. But unlike the iPod, there's no "Do not disconnect" message during syncing. You can yank the iPhone out of the cradle whenever you like - to answer a call, for example - and syncing resumes when you're done. You can also operate the iPhone while it's charging.

11.Can you make phone calls while you're on the Internet?
Yes - if your iPhone has a Wi-Fi connection.

12.Is there instant messaging, like AIM or MSN Messenger?
No. Text message exchanges appear as sequential, colorful text balloons, just as in Apple's iChat program. But they're still cellphone text messages, not chat.

13.Does the iPhone synchronize bookmarks with your computer?
Yes: with Safari on the Mac, or Internet Explorer on Windows.

14.What does the Web browser have?
Multiple open pages, fonts, layouts, pop-up menus, checkboxes, clickable links and dialable phone numbers (tap with your finger). But it lacks Java, Flash, stored passwords, RSS and streaming audio or video, except for some QuickTime videos.

15.Does the keyboard rotate when you rotate the iPhone?
Only in the Web browser. That's a shame, because the rotated keyboard, stretching the full length of the screen, is much bigger and easier to use than the narrow version.

16.Without cursor keys, how do I edit something I've written?
If you hold your fingertip against the glass for a moment, a magnifying loupe appears around it. You can now slide you finger through what you've written, moving the insertion point as you go.
SOURCE

K

krazyfrog

Man it does not even work as a modem to connect pc to net. Even a 5k phone does it. Now thats really bad.

The other one

krazyfrog said:
Man it does not even work as a modem to connect pc to net. Even a 5k phone does it. Now thats really bad.

Come on , we should stop comparing that costly phone with 5k phones :D.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Lolz....like I said, what is iPhone worth buying for ? If you want a full screen P,P get iRiver Clix 2 which beates iPhone in PMP features. Oh & it also playes DivX

Avtar is right. Lets compare this with a real Walkman phone, the W960i only. Oh wait, there is no comparision. iPhone wopn't play videos at 640X480 even if u copy that video it will downsample. So keeping this in mind, even a W960i plays 320X240 mpeg4 videos.

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org

I havent watched those IPhone features video - What exactly is the "Strong" point which Apple thinks make it the best phone ever ? Till now i am yet to find any :confused:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

oh tht is the half eaten apple logo at the back ;)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Goods in iPhone

1) Big screen

2) iPod Video features

3) A Touchscreen based UI which works only with fingers & full of animations.

Thats it.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate

the phone does look slick but its the features that matter they cant compete with MS market share in the mobile segment with such a product ...

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org

gx_saurav said:
Goods in iPhone

1) Big screen

2) iPod Video features

3) A Touchscreen based UI which works only with fingers & full of animations.

Thats it.

Okie, in that case. Apple would have that say this RC1 and final phone is yet to come :lol:

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

*www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone-1827.php

it says it has video and MMS

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

eggman said:
*www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone-1827.php it says it has video and MMS

That page has not updated from ages. If we assume that to be true, then either all the Apple reviewers are lying or GSMArena needs to update the page

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!

iMav said:
the phone does look slick but its the features that matter they cant compete with MS market share in the mobile segment with such a product ...
Dont forget N series.

The other one

@eggman , You have made avatar of jessica Alba's hottest pic ever.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming

if u simply hv lots of money and nuttin to do with it thn buy iphone....and its only such ppl...
and apple has made foolish mistake that manly ppl will fall for this as they did for ipod.

escape7

What? Where? How?

aks_win said:
if u simply hv lots of money and nuttin to do with it thn buy iphone....and its only such ppl...
and apple has made foolish mistake that manly ppl will fall for this as they did for ipod.

I am very satisfied by the iPod and have been using it for some time now, it sold bcoz of its usefulness.

faraaz

Evil Genius

@escape7: Mate, lets be honest here...it sold because its an iPod...and its got brand value...

K

krazyfrog

I bet iPhone will be very popular among the ladies. They don't require high end features and usually buy cell phones based on their looks and flaunt value which iPhone has in spades. I can't imagine anyone else buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom