the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

^^ thanx for the update buddy.. :)

btw, is there a real difference b/w using sound card as o/p for sound in games compared to onboard chip in mobo.. ?? i mean i think the quality will be better ofcourse, but will tat be really that MUCH better that a difference will be audible to ears :confused: ??

coz even i dnt hv any precise knowledge abt them..so asking.. :).

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx for the update buddy.. :)

but is there any real noticeable (huge) difference b/w sound card (as o/p for sound in games) Vs. using the onboard sound chip for sound.. ??

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

edit edit: i think i jus noticed the forum's "QUICK REPLY OPTION" being working again.. hooray !! :D:D
-----------

edit again: naah ! :(:( its still the same (problematic)

sohancool

Broken In

Hi again need suggestions on MSI X58 Platinum Motherboard.. hows the stability, performance in long term?

amitash

Intel OCer

If you want to see my xperience with MSI, read my review...I suggest u go for gigabyte

sohancool

Broken In

I went through your post, and its sad to hear that the board went kaput so early! Unfortunately i was about to order the components from a guy on techenclave, but he does not have any gigabyte boards. Is it ok if i go for the default intel one[I am not an overclocker like u :smile:]? Can u suggest any other boards, he gave me the options of MSI and XFX, but i hear XFX board is also not that good..

sohancool

Broken In

^^

go for gigabyte dude... go for UD5 its the best VFM board.. :)

Thanks a ton Ashu..
Now there is a problem. Living in Pune i didnt find from where to buy all these components..so do u know any good online website/ place so that i can order the whole damn assembled PC[excluding monitor :) ]

Contacted rahul from itwares, sent him 3-4 mails, he's not responding :-(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

does any one knows wat is the mobo and psu in dell xps studio

Are you talking about the core i7 based xps. Well it's called xps 730x.

It sports one core i7 proc with 4GB of DDR3 ram, tv tuner etc.

Go here for details :
*www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-xps-730x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

The rig uses intel x58 based mobo coz it's the only chipset available for core i7 procs till now.

As these are branded rigs the mobo used is custom made by some company for dell. So you will not get the infoo by looking at the web site who actually makes it.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thanks a ton Ashu..
Now there is a problem. Living in Pune i didnt find from where to buy all these components..so do u know any good online website/ place so that i can order the whole damn assembled PC[excluding monitor :) ]

*www.lynx-india.com/

Chandigarh based online shop

The Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 mobo is selling for only Rs. 16.8K on there but it's selling @ Rs. 17.6K in theitwares

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Thanks a ton Ashu..

well, maybe he must be outta mumbai.. :)
here is his number: 98209--72852 :)
--------------
the info given by topgear is also reliable, a person named amarbir (i dunno rem'br his name,m but i guess this is his name ..lol..) is the person to deal with.. :)
----------

HEy topgear, seeing u after a long time dude.. :) welcome back..

sohancool

Broken In

I have registered on lynx india and i think i will order the components from there since i am getting lesser prices there than itwares. Thanks!
Also i heard that the GA-EX58-DS4 Mobo has been discontinued, so going for UD5 Now!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

well, maybe he must be outta mumbai.. :)
here is his number: 98209--72852 :)
--------------
the info given by topgear is also reliable, a person named amarbir (i dunno rem'br his name,m but i guess this is his name ..lol..) is the person to deal with.. :)
----------

HEy topgear, seeing u after a long time dude.. :) welcome back..

Hey, Thanks buddy :p & yeah his name is Amarbir
& here is his mob number : 9815000133 :p

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have registered on lynx india and i think i will order the components from there since i am getting lesser prices there than itwares. Thanks!
Also i heard that the GA-EX58-DS4 Mobo has been discontinued, so going for UD5 Now!

Congrats buddy :p Just go for the UD5 as it belongs to ultra durable series & comes with better pcb than any ds4.

Phoenix...

Right off the assembly line

hey ppl......!! just joined in here......!!

everyone specially amitash n ashu888 thanks for sharing so much information.:smile::smile:

it helped a novice like me a lot.

i too have more or less decided my configuration
hope would be a proud owner by saturday....:smile:
would like u'r suggestions on certain things though.

PROCESSOR: core i7 920
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (34 k with the porcessor) / ASUS P6T Delux V2 approx (38 k with the porcessor) [which would be better performance wise? ]
PSU:-Corsair tx750 (is this enough?? if i plan to get one more 1gb card and even overclock it..??) or shud i go for tagan...?
GPU: Sapphire HD 4870 1GB DDR5 [14 k]
RAM: Corsair DDR 3 TW3X4G-1333C9DHX
(2 X 2GB DDR3 1333MhZ)
MONTIOR: Samsung 2233SW FullHD (what would be the price of a 24 inch one? ) (10.5 k)
CABINET: AS of now - Cooler master 690 (4.5 k) but i'd want to reduce the price here how about a I-ball wokhorse..??
HDD: WD or Segate 1 tb (which would be better )(5.2 k)

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION??
can i assemble this on my own? i havent assembled a pc yet but then i do have a little knowledge.

my budget is 90 +- 10k for the above config.

oh yes and can u suggest me some good cooling system.....!!

Last edited:

Phoenix...

Right off the assembly line

specs for i-ball workhorse.

[*iball.co.in/Product.aspx?c=5]

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

appreciate ur comments on the thread dude.. :)

now, lets get back straight to ur queries.. ..shall we ?? ..lol..

1.) Processor: good choice (shud be around Rs. 15.3K to 15.5K
-----------------

2.) Mobo: if u are into Overclocking (OCing in short) then go for Evga X58 mobo for Rs.22750/-

else, go for ONLY Gigabyte's UD5 (not DS4 or Extreme) and if u wanna ask me abt Asus p6t, then

yes, NO DOUBT (sorry for writing in caps..but i really mean it tat its a gr8 mobo too, but abit

on the higher side wen compared to price.. so better go for Evga x58 (for extreme ocing) or be

safe and sound w'out OCing with gigabyte's UD5 (Rs.16.5K) : )

Performance wise, Evga X58 as well as Asus p6t, both are better, way better than

UD5 (wen u OC them) apart from tat on general terms, all are same i.e evga x58, asus p6t adn

ud5 (see the order, evga has top priority than UD5) : )

but, as ur budget is 90K (+10K if at all needed in emergency situation)..then i wud recommend u

to go for UD5 (non OCing board) and spend the rest on gpu.. :) (still, decision is urs, to OC

or not.. hope u got the point) : )
------------------------

3.) PSU: corsair 750tx can support 2 gpu cards easily, but ppl tend to be on the safer side

(incl. me) so if i were u, i wud hv gone for tx850 and NOT tx750 and yes, it (tx850) will

easily support 2gpu's+OCed processor (on a OC capable board like evga x58 as i said above) ...

Tagan is also gr8, (i hv tagan 1100W, model:bz1100) but tagan becomes a bit cheaper (in price

only) wen the wattage increases, say a corsair 1000W is costly than a tagan 1100W and corsair

has PSU only till 1000W whereas tagan has 1100w and 1300w too.. : )
but here the most important point is tat IF U WANNA hv sum kinda light bling with

cool LEDs then go for TAgan psu (see the screenshot of psu on 1st pgae of this thread) and u

will knw y.. )

also NOTE: both, corsair as well as tagan PSU are ACTIVE PFC PSU's so if u use a

UPS, get a PURE SINE wave UPS from APC wich is "APC Smart UPS" range of UPS and NOT "APC Back

UPS" range as its stepped/modified sine wave UPS.. :)
-------------------

4.) GPU: hmm... let me getinto this battle again (dnt worry, no one will harm either u or

me..lol..) well, see buddy here like everywhere else there are 2 schools of thought and ppl

are very much divided on this gpu war.. : )

Im an nVIDIA fan and also many ppl (incl. me) will tell u to get a gtx260 216 or a gtx280 ssc

(super super clocked edition) or gtx285 or gtx 295 (dnt get this, as its jus total waste of

money at 34K) ...
but i can tell u one thing, tat i play Crysis at gamer (high) setting (4 settings as low, mid,

high and ultra) and i get the smoothest of gameplay in all battles and levels..along with top

notch graphics and really stable framerate and frames per second :)

my verdict (and suggestion) to go for an nVIDIA card, say gtx280 ssc edition at Rs.22750/- i

knw its costly (as ur gpu says 14K price of ATi) but believe me its worth it.. (hey all other

users, plz plz.. dnt pounce on me yaaron come on.. lol..)
-------------

5.) RAM: yup, corsair is gr8 as well as OCZ and G skill too..
but watever u buy (take corsair, i recommend it too).. get 3x1GB modules instead of 2x2GB

ones.. as 3x1gb (3 sticks) will perform really well as compare to 2 sticks :)
-------------

6.) monitor: excellent choice, its fullHD, but if u buy this one then (plz note really

important)
get a nVIDIA card preferebly a gtx280 SSC for that reso and size of 21.5"

LCD... :) (i dnt recommend u goin for 24" instead spend the money on nVIDIA gpu) :)
--------------

7.) CAbinet: bhai mere, go ONLY for CoolerMAster as the 690's build is really solid and rugged,

the whole system (wen assembeled) will weigh as much as 12-13KGs.. yup, dnt get shocked..lol...

so wat i feel is tat a CM 690 (Rs.4200/-) is reallt suitable and looks abit cool too with a

single BLUE LED fan (at the front) and regular fan at the rear...
----------------

8.) HDD: go for WD 1tb for Rs.5100/-
---------------

9.) Cooling:

(a,1) CPU Cooling (air only): the stock intel heatsink+fan is more than enough fora basic

system of 1gpu+no OCed processor, anything above that say 2 gpu's+OCed processor, will hv to

get a T.R.U.E (thermal right ultra extreme) heatsink (google for the same plz), and yes, air

cooling will be sufficient using true..

(a,2) CPU Cooling (water only): well, afaik (plz correct me if im wrong) there is no such water

cooling system available for core i7 based processors, watever is present are modified and

rebuilt versions of sum other cooling systems.. but, yes u will not need water cooling unless u

OC ur processor to sum insane level, say from 2.66 stock to 3.2ghz

(b,1) cabinet Cooling (air only, ofcourse..lol.: with CM690 u get 2 fans, 1 regular fan at the

rear and 1 blue LED fan at the front, u can add 3 more fans (2 top) and (1 bottom) for better

air flow..

(wat i generally do is, i open the side panel of cabinet for the system to be stable, as its

summer time and u knw tat Indian summers are alot more humid and hot too..) :)
-------------

So, ur config will be like this:

1.) Processor: Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz) ---------------------> Rs. 15.5K
2.) Motherboard: EVGA X58 (since u wanna go for OC) ------> Rs. 22.7K
3.) RAM: Corsair TR3X3G-1333C9 (3gb kit) 1GBx3 sticks ----> RS. 8.2K
4.) GPU: nVIDIA gtx280 SSC -------------------------------> Rs. 22.7K
5.) PSU: Corsair tx750 -----------------------------------> Rs. 8.5K
6.) Monitor: Samsung 2233SW 21.5" (FullHD) ---------------> Rs. 10.5K
7.) Cabinet: CM690 ---------------------------------------> Rs. 4.2K
8.) HDD: WD Caviar Green 1-TB ----------------------------> Rs. 5.1K
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: Rs. 97.4K
-------------------------
========================

but, if u wanna accomodate a UPS too, then keeping the same budget (90K+10K) in mind here will

be the config:

1.) Processor: Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz) ---------------------> Rs. 15.5K
2.) Motherboard: Gigabyte UD5 (no OC kinda board) --------> Rs. 16.5K
3.) RAM: Corsair TR3X3G-1333C9 (3gb kit) 1GBx3 sticks ----> RS. 8.2K
4.) GPU: Sapphire HD 4870 1GB DDR5 -----------------------> Rs. 14K
5.) PSU: Corsair tx750 -----------------------------------> Rs. 8.5K
6.) Monitor: Samsung 2233SW 21.5" (FullHD) ---------------> Rs. 10.5K
7.) Cabinet: CM690 ---------------------------------------> Rs. 4.2K
8.) HDD: WD Caviar Green 1-TB ----------------------------> Rs. 5.1K
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: Rs. 82.5K
========================

Now, u can either:

1.) ADD a OC capable board in ur 2nd config of Rs. 82.5K, so ur budget will be
82.5K-16.5K (for removing UD5) +22.7 (for adding EVGA X58 mobo)= Rs. 88.7K and then get a APC SMART UPS range of UPS (pure sine wave) for approx. 12-13K (yup, those are costly UPS)

or

2.) have the same (non OC board, i.e UD5) but add nVIDIA gtx280 ssc (1 GB) instead of Sapphire HD 4870 (1 GB) in the above config ofRs. 82.5K, so ur budget will be
82.5K-14K (for removing HD4870) +22.7 (for adding EVGA GTX280 SSC gpu)= Rs. 91.2K

==================================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
==================================================================

Hope, i was clear in all my explainations dude... :) post, anything if u hv more doubts.. :)

Cheers n e-peace......

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ good suggestion & nice explanation bro.

For gpu I would recomend 2x HD 4770 which will cost Rs. 14K & is neck to neck in performance compared to GTX 280 :p ( for this get 750W PSU )

or get 2x zotac or palit gtx 260 & run them in sli. they will cost you Rs. 20-23K & will perform better than GTX 280 :p ( for this get atleast a 1000W or 1100W psu )

May I add one point : it's not that UD5 is not a OC board. It's suitable for mild to mid range OC. But evga x58 mobo is suitable for mid to high end OC.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx for the appreciation dude.... :)

and, yes thanx again for clearing my doubts on UD5... even i was having those doubts.. but due to uncertainity, didnt comment on them and so left the UD5 being a NON OC board.. :)

Top Bottom