-Core i7 920 @ 14.5k
-Gigabyte GA x58a UD5 @ ~17.4k
-3X2GB DDR3 1600Mhz G-skill @ 9.5k
-1 TB Western Digital HDD(green) @ 4.1k
-MSI HD 5770 GDDR5 graphics card. @ 9.7k
-Benq G2220 22" screen @ 7.6k
-Sony DVD writer @ 1.2k
-CM 690 Cabinet @ 4.2k
-Cooler Master GX550 Real Power @4.8k (He didnt have corsair 550vx)
-Logitech keyboard-Mouse Combo @ 0.7k
-Creative 2.1 SBS A300 speakers @1.3k

SMC Billed it at 75k, it'll be here in 1-2 days.

I am going to change the ram's to frequency: 1333Mhz latency 8-8-8-24, would I have to overclock my processor? if yes how much?

I would be buying a UPS too, son enough.

^^

thanx for the tip, well yaa even im wary of the white color getting old sooner than the black colored lappy, but is there any chance that the white will dull out even if used with care....???
One of my friend at my institute has a white coloured VGN CS series laptop, and he used to care for the first five or six months lol and now its appears a bit rotten egg coloured, but yeah if you laminate it from time to time, you can retain its colour, and white sony's appear cool in their original state.

shud i go with a internal SATA hdd with sum enclosure or sumthing..??? i dnt hv any idea so plz guide me ppl..
I would suggest you go for this, and thats what the eSATA ports for after all, the External HDD's 'that I have seen' either come with USB 2.0 or Firewire, the Internal HDD's that are SATA based are meant to be connected in the eSATA port. <<am not sure of all this, but then you can avoid all the confusion and go with an internal SATA HDD, with some monster enclosure.. lol jk

Last edited:

cosmos

Broken In
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

^^
My friend, wait a few days. 30-40 days. The nVidia refresh is around the corner.

@off topic ...asigh - wat is this nVidia refersh??

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

One of my friend at my institute has a white coloured VGN CS series laptop, and he used to care for the first five or six months lol and now its appears a bit rotten egg coloured, but yeah if you laminate it from time to time, you can retain its colour, and white sony's appear cool in their original state.

This is perfectly true....Most of us care for the things for 1st 6months..Den we get used to it and start misusing it...White color looks very good bt catches dirt and hand prints very fast unless u laminate it regularly. In black color, the dust is easily visible bt it goes away once u wipe it with a cloth. Now itz ur call. My personal experience with black and white

Cheers,
Cosmos

cosmos

Broken In

Hello,

Okay so I have done my final purchase, here we go:

Three Items from KMD:

-> Gigabyte GA x58a UD3R
-> OCZ Gold 2X3 GB C9 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram kit
-> Sapphire HD5770 GDDR5 GPU

totals: 29,875 INR (Includes shipping to my location)

Other Items from SMC International:

~>Core 17 920 -- 14800/-
~>Cooler Master 690 -- 4400/-
~>WD 1 TB 32mb HDD sata (green) -- 4300/-
~>Corsair VX450 - 3700/-
~>Benq G2220 22" LCD -- 7900/-
~>Creative SBS A 300 speakers -- 1200/-
~>Logitech/Microsoft keyboard-mouse combo -- 700/-
~>Wi-fi card -- ASUS USB WIFI Dongle -- 800/-

Totals around: 68k

Dude...Where are you getting these items from? I just got my i7 config yesterday and the i7 920 cost me 13.5k. Btw, i stay in bangalore.
n ya CM 690 II Basic version is available here at 4.1K...So CM690 @4.4k is little too overpriced.

Hello,

Okay so I have done my final purchase, here we go:

Three Items from KMD:

-> Gigabyte GA x58a UD3R
-> OCZ Gold 2X3 GB C9 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram kit
-> Sapphire HD5770 GDDR5 GPU

totals: 29,875 INR (Includes shipping to my location)

Other Items from SMC International:

~>Core 17 920 -- 14800/-
~>Cooler Master 690 -- 4400/-
~>WD 1 TB 32mb HDD sata (green) -- 4300/-
~>Corsair VX450 - 3700/-
~>Benq G2220 22" LCD -- 7900/-
~>Creative SBS A 300 speakers -- 1200/-
~>Logitech/Microsoft keyboard-mouse combo -- 700/-
~>Wi-fi card -- ASUS USB WIFI Dongle -- 800/-

Totals around: 68k

I am going to change the ram's to frequency: 1333Mhz latency 8-8-8-24, would I have to overclock my processor? if yes how much?

I would be buying a UPS too, son enough.

I would suggest you go for this, and thats what the eSATA ports for after all, the External HDD's 'that I have seen' either come with USB 2.0 or Firewire, the Internal HDD's that are SATA based are meant to be connected in the eSATA port. <<am not sure of all this, but then you can avoid all the confusion and go with an internal SATA HDD, with some monster enclosure.. lol jk

please could you confirm the Main board GA X58A UD3R - what is its price you got for, and its revision of previous one,it contains 24gb ram support-full atx and whats the difference from M/B GA X58A UD3 also revision 1?

crisp_tod

Right off the assembly line

thanx for the appreciation buddy.. :)

u knw, :) wen i built my rig (a year ago) it took me 1.2lacs to setup everything, and even today there is NOT much of a difference in price, so u can imagine how high end these products are... :)

well, an optical drive (Sata DVD Writer) will cost u hardly Rs.1400/-
as for the keyboard and mouse (take my frank advice, buddy) a simple mouse and keyboard will do jus fine (im using an iball keyboard and mouse wich costed me 800 bucks and its working gr8)...forget abt pin point precision and all those things, all keyboards and mouse work gr8.. :)

its the main hardware things tat u need to worry abt ..i hope u will agree to it, waise toh, if u wanan get everything latest, then even 1.5lacs wud NOT be enough, so think wisely.. :)

ok, so letme giv u advice here (yup i agree how hard it is to extend ur budget (even wen u hv extended a lot here) but still..plz explain wat u mean by multi tasking.. (i mean wat are the various tasks tat u will be planning to carry out simultaneously..??

coz see, if u use WIn 7 OS (64bit) naa, then it has the ability to even use ur GPU to aid u in multi tasking tasks (i guess sum concept is like tat, im not clear)

so, it also depends ALOT on the OS also, :)

well, to tell u really honestly, im a die hard nVIDIA/Intel fan.. lol.. so i gave u my fav card, yup there is no compulsory or hard rule here, go with wat ever GPU u can be comfy with.. :)

yup, i told u b4, this is a gr8 psu, many ppl asked me wat crap this tagan named brand is..?? lol.. so i had to explain them tat apart from corsair, there are also more bigger brands in the market...

yup, those only, but wait (another advice or a tip u can say)...see, if ur back case fan (of ur haf932 cabinet) is close or in approx. same level as the cpu cooler, then it will be more than enough to pull out hot air,

also, if u hv fans at the top of ur case then fresh air can be brought "in" wich will be utilised by the cpu cooler, so u can skip these fans and save sum money (if later u feel its not cooling better enough, u can buy them later..) :)

u got the idea..?? or shud i post a pic..? (i hv a stock cooler but atleast i will be able to explain u via the pic to giv u a clear idea) :)

yup-, tats wat i was asking you..lol... good for u, as i am with cm-690..lol..

same as me.?? wow it made me happy... : D

well, i hv 2 (samsung) LCDs,.. one in my siggy, the newest one 2233sw and another wich is a 19" syncmaster wich is working gr8 since past 6 yrs (can u imagine tat.. !!!)

well, this model Samsung 2233SW (FullHD) is really good, believe me..but if u sitll hv any confusion, go with Benq (but to giv u an honest advice, this 2233sw is a gr8 gr8 piece from samsung)

hmmm, well yaa its a huge price jump wen u include this UPS
(i also agree tat APC's pure sine wave ups is way way costly.. :( )
hmmm..i think, to make a price drop, u can change the gpu (with the ATi one) and the RAM (go in with 3GB kit instead of ur planned 6GB) and the cooler fans can be discarded as well... this is all i can think of.. :( (i knw its not gonna make a big difference, but still a slight diff.. ) :)
================

Cheers n e-peace....

Thanks Ashu. Well I decided to go with 3 GB RAM so that will save me almost 7.5K. Also... will wait for the new Nividia GPU. Hopefully that wil reduce the price of the current GPU. Also will check the performance of samsung monitor first. Thanks again of your help.

rahul941400

Broken In

Dude...Where are you getting these items from? I just got my i7 config yesterday and the i7 920 cost me 13.5k. Btw, i stay in bangalore.
n ya CM 690 II Basic version is available here at 4.1K...So CM690 @4.4k is little too overpriced.

jeez.. dude lol, dont make me jealous. I have purchased them from SMC International Nehru Place, New Delhi. Anyway I have updated my purchase and Prices. I dropped the idea of importing from KMD at the last moment :S. I will be getting my computer tomorrow :D. I would like to thank asigh, ashu... and all the people who helped me out choosing my parts, although I had to extend my budget, but then I got Good components so am not complaining.

please could you confirm the Main board GA X58A UD3R - what is its price you got for, and its revision of previous one,it contains 24gb ram support-full atx and whats the difference from M/B GA X58A UD3 also revision 1?

I was buying this one>> *www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423 @ $209
converting into INR it would be around 10k add shipping & tax, it would be around Rs. 12000 & yeah its the new version with USB 3.0 & sata 6.0. see the link, you'll find all the details...

^oh! ok, so you have not purchased yet, are you getting from newegg.com and do they ship to india?

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Thanks Ashu. Well I decided to go with 3 GB RAM so that will save me almost 7.5K. Also... will wait for the new Nividia GPU. Hopefully that wil reduce the price of the current GPU. Also will check the performance of samsung monitor first. Thanks again of your help.
yup, not a problem buddy, jus see for urself as to wich LCD suits ur need (Both look-wise as well as price-wise)
I would like to thank asigh, ashu... and all the people who helped me out choosing my parts, although I had to extend my budget, but then I got Good components so am not complaining.
thanx for the appreciation :) will always help new comers.. :)

yeah right, wen the components are so full of options, u wudnt want to mind the lil' steep pricing and an extended budget,,, lol,,,, btw, hv u bought all components or u still searching for them,,,, didnt hear from u here for a long time...so plz keep us updated.... :)
=====================

to all: well, guys, on 8th march, 2010, i bought myself a SONY VAIO E SERIES lappy (with core i3 & ATi 5650) yeah,will post pics soon maybe tomorrow or in 2 days... :)

it is a white lappy (yeah i knw many ppl will jump on me for buying a white lappy) but i was really bored with so many black colored components (my core i7 rig, my PSP, my mobilefone etc... so (for a change) got the white lappy...for a price of 48K (official price is 50K) from my trusted local vendor...

also......

bought a SEAGATE BLACK ARMOR WS (1TB) External hdd for 6.9K for keeping all my HD movies, game Iso's, psp games and mp3...it has an eSATA port so tat was my plus point...(as both my core i7 rig and my vaio lappy has eSATA) will post those pics also soon :)
===========

now, the problem (or rather a confusion) is tat in my lappy, there's win 7 HoPre (HoPre=Home premium) 64bit OS installed, and the c drive alone is occupying the entire hdd space of 500GB, so if i try to resize it(shrink the volume) i can jus shrink it to approx.230-220GB but i wanna shrink it more (to jus 30GB or to a size jus larger than the Win7 OS) so tat i can use the remaining space to create more partitions ......

so....plz tell me how to go abt it...?? (preferably without the need of 3rd party partitioning/resizing s/ware) as im on a holiday here and the net speed is jus about adequate for OLY browsing.. :(
=============

Cheers n e-peace....

^ congrats man:razz:

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

yep the shrink option only shrinks to half of the hdd, use third party partition managers or make a recovery discs and use partiton manager and partition the discs as you like then use recovery discs to install.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx alot azaad... :) ...yup will try 3rd party tools (since im on a holiday now), the net here sucks, so can just use it for normal browsing..lol... wen im back home will repartition the hdd...

also, it is easy to install win xp pro (32bit) over win 7 HoPre x64...????as a dual boot or shud i make use of VMWare...>?>?? any links plz..???
------------

Cheers n e-peace....

HoPre versions of win7 dont support VHD, better try some other virtualisation methods, and why at all you need win xp again as almost all s/w made in last 2-3 yrs works fine on win7 and same for games.
sorry at the moment can't provide any links.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

ooh, well if tats the case (all s/wares easily running on x64 HoPre) then i wud better stick to Win7.. Actually the thing is tat i am so much accustomed to using XP that my mind is stuck with it,...lol....

nevertheless, will try to install ...ahem... Win7 Ultimate (x64).. i hope tat wud allow a virtual environment...???

but, the thing is tat (as i hv alreadly made recovery disks using 4x4gb dvds) will it be easy to install ...ahem.... version of WIn7 x64 Ultimate..?? if yes then how..??? :confused:.i guess the procedure is same right..??

--Clean format the c drive (using bootable DVD of Win7 Ultimate)
--Create C drive partition (as per my requirement, say of 20-30GB)
--Install Win7 Ultimate
--After installation, create more (logical) partitions from say, Computer Mgmt. (as it was in XP)

are these the right steps...???
-------------

Cheers n e-peace....

^^

ooh, well if tats the case (all s/wares easily running on x64 HoPre) then i wud better stick to Win7.. Actually the thing is tat i am so much accustomed to using XP that my mind is stuck with it,...lol....

nevertheless, will try to install ...ahem... Win7 Ultimate (x64).. i hope tat wud allow a virtual environment...???

but, the thing is tat (as i hv alreadly made recovery disks using 4x4gb dvds) will it be easy to install ...ahem.... version of WIn7 x64 Ultimate..?? if yes then how..??? :confused:.i guess the procedure is same right..??

--Clean format the c drive (using bootable DVD of Win7 Ultimate)
--Create C drive partition (as per my requirement, say of 20-30GB)
--Install Win7 Ultimate
--After installation, create more (logical) partitions from say, Computer Mgmt. (as it was in XP)

are these the right steps...???
-------------

Cheers n e-peace....

yep same XP style of installation, however create min50gb C drive as win7 ultimate takes around 24gb to install, so that you could have some space to install other s/w and general system management,
you can create all drives at booting time or from disk management after OS installed,
yes win7 ultimate supports VHD,
if you have upgrade genuine key, then create partitions by any method and install using recovery discs and use inbuilt anytime upgrade key to upgrade to ultimate or if you don't want all the crap came pre installed and want to customize completely then go for clean install.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

yup, will keep tat in mind for 50gb of C Drive space.. :)

but on a final note, is there any other thing to keep in mind for the time i hv the Win 7 HoPRe..?? or shud i jus do a clean install and install win 7 ultimate tomorrow...??? :confused:

also,.....wat shud i do for the recovry disks..??? :confused: coz even in the event of a system hang, i wud be doin a clean install of the ULTIMAtE version and NOT the HoPre (from the recovery disk)..so jus wanna knw... lol... :)
------------

CHeers n e-peace.....

mohit_

Right off the assembly line

=============

On a side note, i am planning to get SONY VAIO E Series (the newly launched) lappy ---> *www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb16fg

will be getting this lappy from my local dealer with a discount of Rs.2000/- (official price is 50K, but i will get it at 48K) but im jus confused, tat wich color shud i opt for (its available in 4 colors) but i cant decide b/w black or white.. :confused:

any recommendations..??
----------

CHeers n e-peace....

Hi Ashu,

So, did you went for this thing. I am also excited by this lappy. Looking to buy this instead of a full blown PC now !! And with acceptable gaming performance it seems to be a good bet. And will suffice to my home and work needs alike and since I already have a monitor at home and it has a HDMI port for that too.. :) Although not sure of its i3 processor much - how much it can be rated along with Core 2 Duo? Will be waiting for your reply....

Mohit

Top Bottom