the Official Intel Core ix thread for desktops and laptops

rahul941400

Broken In
Re: The Official Core i7 (Intel's nehalem) Thread

yup, coolermaster PSU's are good (Corsair, Tagan are best)
so is the cooler master 600w eXtreme good enough? (not the best I know)
also, I want to cut down a bit of money from the cabinet, can you suggest a bit cheaper cabinet then Cm 690?

Last edited:

so is the cooler master 600w eXtreme good enough? (not the best I know)
also, I want to cut down a bit of money from the cabinet, can you suggest a bit cheaper cabinet then Cm 690?

thats the worst psu, go for nzxt gamma cabinet around 2k.

rahul941400

Broken In

thats the worst psu.
okay, lol.
go for nzxt gamma cabinet around 2k
Hmm, yeah it has some stock 120 mm fans with it, rite? does the cooler master 690 come with stock fans? i know it has space for 7 fans but I dunno if you need to buy them separately or not? :S
btw how is the Nzxt Guardian 921 cabby? it looks cool but I don't know much about what i should be looking for in a cabinet?

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
CM690 comes with three exhaust fans. On where the HDD cage is(120mm). One on the side panel(120mm), and one rear(120mm).

It will provision for 4 more. 2 on top(120mm), one bottom(120mm), and one behind the motherboard back plate (80mm). You would need to purchase these, and mount them.

Avoid the CM E series PSU.

rahul941400

Broken In

But the SMC guy insists on cm 600w...? and btw with my config (and if I do not Xfire at all) would corsair 450vx be enough or should I really just go with vx550, its my final call. SMC will have the MSI board tomm. so i need to think quick. and what about the ups, is my current Microtek 600 enough? or like you suggested earlier I should go for APC 1.1kva?

^^
CM690 comes with three exhaust fans. On where the HDD cage is(120mm). One on the side panel(120mm), and one rear(120mm).

It will provision for 4 more. 2 on top(120mm), one bottom(120mm), and one behind the motherboard back plate (80mm). You would need to purchase these, and mount them.

Avoid the CM E series PSU.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Corsair 450W would be enough. If SMS cannot get it, source it online. Its not mandate to pick it all from SMC.

Microtek is crap. Get the APC 1.1KVA. Who you spoke to at SMC. Gurmeet that Sardarjee..?

rahul941400

Broken In

nah the guy who trades online at erodov...i guess his name's sachin. And I went to SMC nehru place too, and there were no sardars there as far as I could see, I talked to a guy who looked at around 25, and well had a good bit of knowledge unlike most of the shops, and yeah thanks for recommending me... otherwise I wouldn't have known where to go, once I reached nehru place. I went to DelhiTradeZone first, but he didnt have much knowledge and was forcing me to buy the bundled i7+intel DX58SO board.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

with my config (and if I do not Xfire at all) would corsair 450vx be enough or should I really just go with vx550, its my final call. SMC will have the MSI board tomm. so i need to think quick. and what about the ups, is my current Microtek 600 enough? or like you suggested earlier I should go for APC 1.1kva?
if u dnt wanna CFX, then go with 50oW (not 450) keep some headroom yaar... :)

if u buy Corsair SMPS, it will be active pfc types, so wen getting a 1.1kva ups, get a PURE SINE WAVE UPS, APC's SMART UPS is a pure sine wave (whereas, BACK UPS range is stepped/modified sine wave ups) so keep that in mind.. :)

Hmm, yeah it has some stock 120 mm fans with it, rite? does the cooler master 690 come with stock fans? i know it has space for 7 fans but I dunno if you need to buy them separately or not? :S
btw how is the Nzxt Guardian 921 cabby? it looks cool but I don't know much about what i should be looking for in a cabinet?
the only thing to look in a cabinet is:

1.) ability to add extra fans
2.) enough room inside so that fixing/fitting/adding/removing components, wiring/cabling is done easily (so prefer a mid tower cabinet)
3.) it shud look and feel really sturdy so that wen u open it from time to time (especially the front panel for adding fans or for cleaning purpose) the plastic jus doesnt break off..

i think wen u are investing so much then y not go in for a CM 690 cabinet..??? jus think over it.. it will be really a gr8 investment believe me...:)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ There was another CM690 - launched recently ... it was something CM690 II which comes with a removable mobo backplate ... so it will be easier to mount and unmount cu cooler which requires a backplate to be installed.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

ohh ya ya rightly said, i forgot to mention abt it lol.. thanx topgear.. :)

yup, the CM-ii 690 has black finish interiors as compared to metallic/silver"ish" finish in Cm690....

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

=============

On a side note, i am planning to get SONY VAIO E Series (the newly launched) lappy ---> *www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb16fg

will be getting this lappy from my local dealer with a discount of Rs.2000/- (official price is 50K, but i will get it at 48K) but im jus confused, tat wich color shud i opt for (its available in 4 colors) but i cant decide b/w black or white.. :confused:

any recommendations..??
----------

CHeers n e-peace....

rahul941400

Broken In

Alrite I'd go for CM690 cabinet then!

On a side note, i am planning to get SONY VAIO E Series (the newly launched) lappy ---> *www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb16fg

will be getting this lappy from my local dealer with a discount of Rs.2000/- (official price is 50K, but i will get it at 48K) but im jus confused, tat wich color shud i opt for (its available in 4 colors) but i cant decide b/w black or white..

any recommendations..??

well, black would be the best, you'll have to extra care for the white (lamination etc...) otherwise it'd be as good as old witin a month. I have Sony vaio VGN CR36 black.. and it rocks...~!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

^^

thanx for the tip, well yaa even im wary of the white color getting old sooner than the black colored lappy, but is there any chance that the white will dull out even if used with care....???

crisp_tod

Right off the assembly line

Hi Folks,

I am a new entry to this forum. I want to build my own rig with i7. Budget can vary between 80K -100K.

@ ashu

I read almost all youe posts in this thread. Looks like you know lot about i7 now. It would be great if you can suggest a good configuration for me. Also what I have seen in that most of queries/replies are about i7-920. Are the other i7 processors not available or they are way costly? I know i7 extreme costs alot....

Hi Folks,

I am a new entry to this forum. I want to build my own rig with i7. Budget can vary between 80K -100K.

@ ashu

I read almost all youe posts in this thread. Looks like you know lot about i7 now. It would be great if you can suggest a good configuration for me. Also what I have seen in that most of queries/replies are about i7-920. Are the other i7 processors not available or they are way costly? I know i7 extreme costs alot....

only i7920 is reasonably priced at 15K, 940 is double of it, 965 is 55k, and there 8 series ones costing 10k and 15k.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Hi Folks,

@ ashu

hi buddy, :)

well 1st of all thanyou for ur appreciation and encouraging words.. :)

also, its NOT me alone, there are a lot many of my friends here who helped me know abt this wonderful processor of Intel...toi name a few of my very close friends: (not in any order plz)

** amitash (his was the 1st and i mean the very 1st i7 rig almost 1.5 yrs back then i came along and my rig is 1yr old too.. :) )
** topgear, well he has been my really good friend too and we share a gr8 rappo
**desiibond, he is a masterclass in his own way, he help me alot too (knowing the finer details of various components..
** MetalheadGautham
** hellgate
** realdan (helped me a lot to understand about UPSes, really appreciate it)
** comp@ddict :)
--------------

well, yes most of our posts here are about corei7-920 (2.66ghzstock speedprocessor) thats bcoz its the entry level porcessor and was also (and is still is) lighter on our pockets.. . :D also, there arew other components to consider too, so if u burn all ur money on jus a hi end processor (i7-965 extreme) then other components will suffer and create a bottle neck, so its creating a balance b/w comp0onents and hv the utmost compatibility and futureproofing (With ofcourse, again keeping money and investment in mind)... :)

infact, i7-920 has so much power pumped into itself alone tat u will jus be amazed as to how many things (Graphics, heavy gaming, fullHD movies, animation etc etc..) u can do with it, jus throw anything at it, it will do it for u... :)

yup, its abt price as well too,

i7-920--- Rs.15K (14.5K in sum cases)
i7-940--- Rs.25K
i7-965--- Rs.50K
(so u can imagine, tat its so expensive to hv such boy-toys..) :)

===========

now, u hv a gr8 budget buddy, i shud say that..(80k-100K), so u will get a beast of a system...

yup, i will recommend u a good system (dnt be surprised to see many fights (friendly fights i must say) b/w we users (friends) here Again..lol... so i guess after 15-20 posts, i guess u will be able to buy urself a gr8 core-i7 rig.. :)
======

enough of talking now, lets get to the point...

1.) Processor: Core i7-920 ------------------------------------> Rs.14.5K
===============================================

2.) Motherboard: MSi x58 Pro E-------------------------------> Rs.10.5K
Link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=7584

3.) RAM: Corsair TR3X3G 1600 c8D (3GB kit)------------------> Rs.8.2K
Link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=6915
(as of now u can go for 3GB kit or, if at the end u hv money, go in for a 6gb kit instead of this 3gb) :)

4.) GPU: nVIDIA GTX295-----------------------------------------> Rs.28K
link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?ukey=search

5.) PSU: Tagan 1100W (model bz1100)-------------------------> Rs.13K
(this is a really powerfull psu,corsair doesn't hv PSU's over 1000W, tagan is the brand wich makes PSU's above 1000W, so in future even if u wanna SLi (with 2or more nVIDIA cards) or cfx=Crossfire X (with 2or more ati radeon cards), then this is the psu to go for)
Link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=445

6.a) CPU Cooler: Prolimatech MEgahalem revision B--------------> Rs.4K
Link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=10302
(the system will generate alot of heat, so stock cooler will work BUT not efficiently in dissipating all the heat, so this is a MUST)

6.b) Fans for CPU Cooler (for push pull setup): here u have many options in various brands, best will be Scythe, Xigmatek XLF,Yate Loons etc...so choose anyone

7.) Cabinet: Coolermaster CM-690 (with side panel----------> Rs.4.4K

There's a new version of CM-690 known as CM-690 ii (wich has a side removal plate for mounting the motherboard) not sure abt the price..
(i dnt knw if this is readily available or no, also, i do not knw if u wanna go with a mid tower or a full tower cabinet, it will depend on ur space requirements, if u hv a tiny space to adjust all ur components on a table then go in for a mid tower (but my recommendation wud be to go for a FULL Tower, as it will help in better air circulation, so jus update me on that)

or

Coolermaster HAF 922 (Full tower)----------------------------> Rs.6.5K
link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=6913

8.) HDD: Western Digital 1TB SATA (7200rpm)------------------> Rs. 4.4K

9.) LCD: Samsung 2233SW FUllHD (1920 x 1080) 22"---------> Rs. 8K

10.) UPS: APC SUA1500i (1500VA, 980W)----------------------> Rs.14.5K
link---> *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=1596
and
link---> *www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=sua1500i
(the UPS is a very important component, so please a request to never discard this out, as ur PSU (that i hv suggested) is an ACTIVE PFC type, it will require a PURE SINE wave UPS, so APC's SMART UPS range of UPS'es are well suited)
Total:Rs. 1,09,500/-
(if tats "really" overboard, then u can get gtx285 gpu instead of gtx295 wich will cost u 21K, so ur total will be Rs. 1,02,500/-)

(if its "still" overboard, then u can go in for an ATi based card a 5xxx series, say, 5770 (1GB) for Rs. 10K so Total will be: Rs.91,500/-
or 5850 (1GB) for Rs. 19K so Total will be: Rs. 1,00,500/- ) :)
====================

Cheers n e-peace.....

Last edited:

crisp_tod

Right off the assembly line

Hi ashu,

First of all thanks alot of your explaination about i7 and the configuration you have suggested. And yes I would be happy to hear from other folks as well.

It will always be better to know thoughts of other folks because it's going to help us refinning this configuration. As i said earlier My budget can vary

between 80-100 K, but I do not want to cross this. :)
Also need to pruchase an optical drive (probably a DVD writer), a keyborad and mouse too.

So will try to built the rig withing my Budget. I have few question regarding the suggested configuration so just compressing your explaination a bit to ask

my queries and what I liked in this config.

1.) Processor: Core i7-920 ------------------------------------> Rs.14.5K

No argument here after your detailed explaination.

2.) Motherboard: MSi x58 Pro E---------------------------------> Rs.10.5K

No argument here as well.

3.) RAM: Corsair TR3X3G 1600 c8D (3GB kit)---------------------> Rs.8.2K

I would love to increase the ram as I am planning to do lot of multitasking. So it's worth putting my money in RAM.
The Price would be around 15.9 K for 6 GB. (*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=319&sort=Price&direction=DESC)

Why not a Sapphire one like Sapphire HD5870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE (*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=8764) . It would allow me to save almost 5K.

5.) PSU: Tagan 1100W (model bz1100)----------------------------> Rs.13K

After researching and reading your explaination I found that It's worth to invest money into this PSU.

6.b) Fans for CPU Cooler

Are you talking about this one? *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=10392. If yes It will be for around 1.3K

7.) Cabinet: Coolermaster CM-690 (with side panel--------------> Rs.4.4
Or
Coolermaster HAF 922 (Full tower)-----------------> Rs.6.5K

Full tower (Coolermaster HAF 92) would be my choice as I don't have any space issues.

8.) HDD: Western Digital 1TB SATA (7200rpm)--------------------> Rs.4.4K

I am a big WD fan too so will go for this one any day.

9.) LCD: Samsung 2233SW FUllHD (1920 x 1080) 22"---------------> Rs.8K

Why not a benq Monitor like Benq 22" G2220HD LCD (*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=7472). My previous experiences with Samsung are not really

good. How is you experince though as you are using the same monitor for a year now?

10.) UPS: APC SUA1500i (1500VA, 980W)--------------------------> Rs.14.5K

Hmmm...This is where you asked me not to take out but it's a huge price. I have an inverter backup at home. I know that an inverter can never be treated as

an UPS. but the amount is really going to increase my budget. Where should I make the amendts?

After what you said and what I added into the config, The total amount will be 122 K(After 6 GB RAM, full tower cabinet and Fan for CPU Cooler). Still have to check prices for DVD Writer, keyborad and mouse :(

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
My friend, wait a few days. 30-40 days. The nVidia refresh is around the corner.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

Hi ashu,

First of all thanks alot of your explaination about i7 and the configuration you have suggested. And yes I would be happy to hear from other folks as well.

It will always be better to know thoughts of other folks because it's going to help us refinning this configuration. As i said earlier My budget can vary

between 80-100 K, but I do not want to cross this. :)
Also need to pruchase an optical drive (probably a DVD writer), a keyborad and mouse too.
thanx for the appreciation buddy.. :)

u knw, :) wen i built my rig (a year ago) it took me 1.2lacs to setup everything, and even today there is NOT much of a difference in price, so u can imagine how high end these products are... :)

well, an optical drive (Sata DVD Writer) will cost u hardly Rs.1400/-
as for the keyboard and mouse (take my frank advice, buddy) a simple mouse and keyboard will do jus fine (im using an iball keyboard and mouse wich costed me 800 bucks and its working gr8)...forget abt pin point precision and all those things, all keyboards and mouse work gr8.. :)

its the main hardware things tat u need to worry abt ..i hope u will agree to it, waise toh, if u wanan get everything latest, then even 1.5lacs wud NOT be enough, so think wisely.. :)

my queries and what I liked in this config.

3.) RAM: Corsair TR3X3G 1600 c8D (3GB kit)---------------------> Rs.8.2K

I would love to increase the ram as I am planning to do lot of multitasking. So it's worth putting my money in RAM.
The Price would be around 15.9 K for 6 GB. (*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=319&sort=Price&direction=DESC)
ok, so letme giv u advice here (yup i agree how hard it is to extend ur budget (even wen u hv extended a lot here) but still..plz explain wat u mean by multi tasking.. (i mean wat are the various tasks tat u will be planning to carry out simultaneously..??

coz see, if u use WIn 7 OS (64bit) naa, then it has the ability to even use ur GPU to aid u in multi tasking tasks (i guess sum concept is like tat, im not clear)

so, it also depends ALOT on the OS also, :)

Why not a Sapphire one like Sapphire HD5870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE (*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=8764) . It would allow me to save almost 5K.
well, to tell u really honestly, im a die hard nVIDIA/Intel fan.. lol.. so i gave u my fav card, yup there is no compulsory or hard rule here, go with wat ever GPU u can be comfy with.. :)

5.) PSU: Tagan 1100W (model bz1100)----------------------------> Rs.13K

After researching and reading your explaination I found that It's worth to invest money into this PSU.
yup, i told u b4, this is a gr8 psu, many ppl asked me wat crap this tagan named brand is..?? lol.. so i had to explain them tat apart from corsair, there are also more bigger brands in the market...

*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=10392

6.b) Fans for CPU Cooler

Are you talking about this one? *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=10392. If yes It will be for around 1.3K
yup, those only, but wait (another advice or a tip u can say)...see, if ur back case fan (of ur haf932 cabinet) is close or in approx. same level as the cpu cooler, then it will be more than enough to pull out hot air,

also, if u hv fans at the top of ur case then fresh air can be brought "in" wich will be utilised by the cpu cooler, so u can skip these fans and save sum money (if later u feel its not cooling better enough, u can buy them later..) :)

u got the idea..?? or shud i post a pic..? (i hv a stock cooler but atleast i will be able to explain u via the pic to giv u a clear idea) :)

7.) Cabinet: Coolermaster CM-690 (with side panel--------------> Rs.4.4
Or
Coolermaster HAF 922 (Full tower)-----------------> Rs.6.5K

Full tower (Coolermaster HAF 92) would be my choice as I don't have any space issues.
yup-, tats wat i was asking you..lol... good for u, as i am with cm-690..lol..

8.) HDD: Western Digital 1TB SATA (7200rpm)--------------------> Rs.4.4K

I am a big WD fan too so will go for this one any day.
same as me.?? wow it made me happy... : D

9.) LCD: Samsung 2233SW FUllHD (1920 x 1080) 22"---------------> Rs.8K

Why not a benq Monitor like Benq 22" G2220HD LCD (*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=7472). My previous experiences with Samsung are not really

good. How is you experince though as you are using the same monitor for a year now?
well, i hv 2 (samsung) LCDs,.. one in my siggy, the newest one 2233sw and another wich is a 19" syncmaster wich is working gr8 since past 6 yrs (can u imagine tat.. !!!)

well, this model Samsung 2233SW (FullHD) is really good, believe me..but if u sitll hv any confusion, go with Benq (but to giv u an honest advice, this 2233sw is a gr8 gr8 piece from samsung)

*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=7472
10.) UPS: APC SUA1500i (1500VA, 980W)--------------------------> Rs.14.5K

Hmmm...This is where you asked me not to take out but it's a huge price. I have an inverter backup at home. I know that an inverter can never be treated as

an UPS. but the amount is really going to increase my budget. Where should I make the amendts?
hmmm, well yaa its a huge price jump wen u include this UPS
(i also agree tat APC's pure sine wave ups is way way costly.. :( )
hmmm..i think, to make a price drop, u can change the gpu (with the ATi one) and the RAM (go in with 3GB kit instead of ur planned 6GB) and the cooler fans can be discarded as well... this is all i can think of.. :( (i knw its not gonna make a big difference, but still a slight diff.. ) :)
================

Cheers n e-peace....

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner

=====================
======================
=======================

extra topic: ok guys, im planning to buy a portable hdd (with eSATA port as my MAIN requirement, if it has USB+firewire too then its gr8 , if these 2 are absent then also it will be ok..but eSATA port a MUST)...

so plz suggest me sumthing..i google'd but didnt find any satisfactory results.so plz help me out.. :) (max budget not decided as i want eSATA port)

shud i go with a internal SATA hdd with sum enclosure or sumthing..??? i dnt hv any idea so plz guide me ppl.. :)

(i will be buying a new lappy in 2-3 days, a SONY VAIO E series) so tats y i also wanna buy this portable hdd (as my PC has eSATA port and my new lappy will also hv one eSATA port).. :)
-----------

Cheers n e-peace...

Top Bottom